donkey test question 7

5/10 NL Cash game. 10 handed. Everyone has about $1,000. Solid player UTG limps. A tight player in middle raises to $40, a tight aggressive player behind him re-raises to $150, and the button puts in a third raise for half his stack to $500.

You are in the BB with:
:kh :kd

What should you do?

Move all-in
Call
Fold
Call and go all in if the flop doesn’t contain an ace

now, can anyone describe a scenario where none of these players has AA?

Comments

• Calling is stupid for this price, since it's half your stack and doesn't close the betting. HU I can't fold, but with 3 players in I'd expect that somebody has AA. Not an easy fold, but with all the action in front and still pending, I think you can find a better spot.
  • Despite the play, I can't fold this pf...I shove.
  • difficult fold but fold. 3 raises and expensive price.
  • One of the only places I think I could ever fold KK, with the reads and action someone has AA. I play it weak here and fold.
  • You have a solid player limping and 2 tight players raising and reraising.
    As temping as it is to push....fold.
  • This is one of very few situations I would consider to be a very easy laydown of KK preflop.
  • In a cash game at this limit I would lay em down, now if it had been tourny i'd push. I don't believe in the 3rd bet rule in tournies.
  • I remember four instances where my K-K came up against A-A, and I busted out every single time. In one of those instances and in this question, there are enough indicators that it is one of those rare situations where folding K-K pre-flop is correct.

The pot odds are currently $715:$490 or 1.5:1, for a breakeven percentage of 41%. Given the three raises among four tight/solid players, there is a high probability that one of them has aces, so your probability of winning is only 20% or less. Without posting the brain-frying poker math equations, as long as you think there is at least a 58% chance that one of the four players has aces, then folding K-K is the correct decision.
  • If I were being honest here....I'd have a hell of a time folding. My reads on the players as 'tight' would have to be very solid.