NL Hand

So my focus is on a medium stakes limit game and the nl is the secondary game, just check in and wait for the nuts type of thing, Anyway..seems like I missed out on some value here...Anyone want to go over how this hand should have been played to extract maximum value?

Cheers.

***** Hand 544883006 *****
1.00/2.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - February 24, 2007 11:28:59 PM
Table TH 307 (Real /Cash Game )
Seat 1: sol1es (184.02)
Seat 2: Bandit16 (407.75)
Seat 3: A Quickie (190.00)
Seat 4: alga796 (96.40)
Seat 5: The_Body (194.00)
Seat 6: martinbh2 (204.35)
Seat 7: TurkFish (404.75)
Seat 8: Megafish25 (319.51)
Seat 9: msanyi44 (95.44)
Seat 10: ALL IN VIC (39.00)
ALL IN VIC post SB 1.00
sol1es post BB 2.00
** Deal **
sol1es [N/A, N/A]
Bandit16 [9c, 9h]
A Quickie [N/A, N/A]
alga796 [N/A, N/A]
The_Body [N/A, N/A]
martinbh2 [N/A, N/A]
TurkFish [N/A, N/A]
Megafish25 [N/A, N/A]
msanyi44 [N/A, N/A]
ALL IN VIC [N/A, N/A]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
Bandit16 Call 2.00
A Quickie Fold
alga796 Fold
The_Body Fold
martinbh2 Fold
TurkFish Fold
Megafish25 Raise to 12.00
msanyi44 Fold
ALL IN VIC Fold
sol1es Fold
Bandit16 Call 12.00
*** Flop(Board): *** : [7h, 9d, 3c]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
Bandit16 Check
Megafish25 Bet 20.00
Bandit16 Call 20.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [7h, 9d, 3c, Qh]
*** Bet Round 3 ***
Bandit16 Check
Megafish25 Check
*** River(Board): *** : [7h, 9d, 3c, Qh, Ac]
*** Bet Round 4 ***
Bandit16 Bet 34.00
Megafish25 Call 34.00
*** Showdown *** : Rake: 3.00 Total Pot: 132.00
Bandit16 [9c, 9h] Three of a kind, nines Win :132.00

Comments

• Just checkraise flop usually. Big hand = play big pot, not slowplay and win minimum.
  • I agree with the checkraise after flop but your senario still paid well ($132 in a 1/2 nl game). What did megafish have or did he muck?
  • Tilt, yep he mucked.

Sir Watts, Ty, My plan was to check raise his turn bet I guess....Bad plan?
  • Whitehorse wrote: »
    Tilt, yep he mucked.

Sir Watts, Ty, My plan was to check raise his turn bet I guess....Bad plan?

Not necessarily, but checkraising the flop is usually better. If you wait until the turn a lot of bad cards can roll off killing your action. If he has an overpair like TT-QQ and an A or K rolls off it's going to be hard to stack him. Even a board pairing card may slow him down or a card like an 8 that makes some 2 pair comibinations or straights possible. Also, the wait to checkraise until the turn line looks like an enormous hand and he's more likely to get away from an overpair. You're better off building the pot right away.
  • They can't call if you don't bet.
  • the best way to build the pot would be to lead out on the flop with something less than the size of the pot. hopefully he raises but maybe just calls. you may scare him away but then i doubt you'd get many of his chips any other way either.
  • If you want to make the most money from the guy, you have to have a read. What does his 6x BB raise mean? Is there a chance that it's AA/KK? If he's the type of player to make this raise with a big premium pair, lead the flop, watch him raise you and take his stack. If it's likely to be AK/AQ, you're best of check-calling and leading the turn. The Q might have just made top pair top kicker for him and it will be difficult for him to get away from it. Either way, you have to lead the turn no matter what if you check/call the flop. The money has to start going in at some point; if he has nothing, oh well. Give yourself a chance to take his money if he does have something. Of course, you should only check/call the flop if you're pretty sure he's on overs based on previous experience with him. Watts liked a c/r and this is fine too sometimes (it's good to mix it up), but if he has AA/KK and you lead into him, he's usually not going to put you on a set and will probably feel more comfortable stacking off.

Ryan
  • Yeah lead is fine too. My only concern is that stacks are fairly deep so you're going to have to bomb it if he doesn't raise at some point. Oh and as played you really need to bet the river bigger to salvage some value.
  • I woulda thought check raise on that flop would be a terrible idea. The guy will make a continuatin bet most of the time so if you raise he knows you're strong and will muck it. It was a pretty safe flop. I woulda either checked the turn/ and river when the Ace showed hoping he had something like AK and will make a river bet in which then you can reraise. Or I woulda raised the turn to see if hit the queen or did indeed have an overpair or lower set.
  • The guy will make a continuatin bet most of the time so if you raise he knows you're strong and will muck it.

Since when do 1/2 players fold overpairs? If he doesn't have a big pair you're not going to win much anyways unless he's the type that always keeps blindly firing if he doesn't get raised. In that specific case then sure you can slowplay.
  • Watts what I meant is that if you come out betting with that rag flop, and he's holding 2 big cards which is fairly likely, it's an easy muck for him. If you're gonna go after his entire stack hoping he has an over pair then ya start swining right away so he coems over top of you... But if you wanna make some money wouldn't you check and have him make the continuation bet?
  • Watts what I meant is that if you come out betting with that rag flop, and he's holding 2 big cards which is fairly likely, it's an easy muck for him. If you're gonna go after his entire stack hoping he has an over pair then ya start swining right away so he coems over top of you... But if you wanna make some money wouldn't you check and have him make the continuation bet?
    Read Watts' post again. He has already answered your question.

/g2
  • Thanks for the insightful feedback guys. Was a little worried about posting such a poorly played hand.
  • Was a little worried about posting such a poorly played hand.

If we only posted the great hands, we wouldn't learn much now would we? Thanks for the post... :)
  • The flop texture here is weak, It likely missed your opponent so I think your check call was good, you can then weak lead the turn or go for the check raise like you did (but didnt work out). I agree with building the pot but that flop was so weak you probablly take the pot down to quickly. If the flop comes KsQs9c......here is where you can lead the flop and try to get it allin.
  • I guess Im repeating what Chris said