The Neil Young/Budweiser connection.

"This notes for you"

Anyone know this song? I heard it the first time just today and found it rather funny. It was written in 1970 and more or less the whole song is about how he isn't a corporate sellout and won't make music for "the man"

the very beginning goes like this:

"Ain't singing for pepsi, ain't singing for coke. Ain't singing for nobody, make me look like a joke.

Ain't singing for Miller, ain't singing for BUD. Won't sing for nobody, make me look like a dud.....this notes for you"

The funny part here is, this exact tune eventually became Bud's theme for years with "this bud's for you" with the exact guitar rift...which means at some point that they (Bud) had to ask Neil Young to buy his song about not ever selling out.

The song is definately worth the download.

Comments

• It's definately a more ironic stroy that way, but unfortunately that disc was released in 1990...Neil stole the riff not the other way around :) (acctually it's changed just enough to not get sued) I would venture a guess that Neil would never sell one of his songs to be used as an ad jingle.
  • I like that tune too. Been a Neil Young fan for years. From Buffalo Springfield, to Crosby Stills Nash and Young, to his days with Crazy Horse. I saw him when he toured with The International Harvesters (bluegrass band), and also like his more recent stuff too. (ie: Rock/grunge) Neil is always reinventing himself. He kicks. Also, a very good book if anyone is interested: (Neil and Me)

So why doesn't the radio play more of him and other good Canadian artists, instead of that lame ass pop flunky Brian Adams? I've been asking that question for years.