donkey test question 3

let's see if i can get this one posted properly the first time...

Tournament. Blinds are 300-600 with 75 antes. 9 handed.

SB is a well known tourney pro and has 60,000 chips. A weak tight player UTG with 100,000 chips limps and SB completes. Big blind with 12,000 chips checks.

Flop:
:8s :6s :3d

Blinds to UTG who bets 3,000. SB calls and the BB min check raises to 6,000. UTG min re-raises to 12,000. After long consideration SB calls, and the big blind calls all-in.

Turn:
:kh

SB checks. UTG checks.

River:
:3s

SB bets 10,000 into the 40,000 chip pot. UTG quickly calls. What did all three players hold?

SB had AA, UTG has a flush draw, and BB holds a set.
SB had a draw, BB has two pair, and UTG has AA.
SB had a set, BB has 99+, and UTG has flush draw.
SB had two pair, BB has a draw, UTG has A8.

i *think* the wording is a bit off here. when they say player x has a draw, i believe they mean 'on the flop'. that's the only way it makes sense to me.

i thought this one was an interesting exercise in hand reading. i'll give everyone a chance to discuss before i post my thoughts.

Comments

• I took this test at work, took forever, and was very distracted... this question was one of the worst. I look forward to hearing why I was wrong :)

/g2
  • I went for utg has AA. I don't see weak tight limping from utg with 2 suited or A8. Perhaps he's well aware of his table image and was looking to get raised here and put in a good size reraise.
  • well i didn't think a weak tight UTG would play A8 pre-flop or get many chips in with a flush draw, so I had to put him on AA given the options. he would lead out on an innocent-looking flop and have a hard time letting go of his big pair, so he'd re-raise on the flop and call the small bet on the river.

i think it is consistent for the short stacked BB to go for a check raise with 2pr and call all-in. a tourney pro could call the bet on the flop with a draw and call the small all-in given proper odds.

any thoughts on that reasoning?
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    well i didn't think a weak tight UTG would play A8 pre-flop or get many chips in with a flush draw, so I had to put him on AA given the options.
    Same reasoning here. Only AA made sense...
  • Woohoo! I was right :D

/g2
  • Wow, got it. :)