AL east

What place do you think the Jays will finish in this year in teh AL east.

Do you think they will make the playoffs

Comments

• I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year.

The bullpen is pretty shallow (except for BJ Ryan), and the middle infield has yet to prove itself. And someone (cough)*AJ Burnett* always gets hurt and leaves a hole in our lineup.

That being said, I like the pickups/signings for this year. Frank Thomas was a great signing, for the protection of Troy Glaus in the batting order alone. Plus he's always loved hitting at Roger Centre. I'm super happy that Greg Zaun will be back.

So I guess we'll see about the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath.

Johnnie
  • Ricciardi took signed some risky contracts but in the end they may pan out. I'm glad he let Lilly go and was able to sign Thompson, Ohka, and Zambrano. I mean, you figure one of those three will pan out, right?

I certainly see the Jays having a legit shot at making the playoffs but the AL East is always hard to play with.

Here's to a great 2007 season!
  • Guess we are going to have to wait and see. Season starts in about a month and i cannot wait.
  • Can't believe its already baseball season. One thing that nothing can beat is playing high stakes ring game with a beer and buddies while watching a game of baseball. But back to your question Jays WILL make the playoffs. Mark it down and send me a private message when it happens. But there pitching is thin but I like the guys who were cheap because of injuries. Even if one pans out it would be worth it.
  • If you guys are interested, I have cheap Blue Jays tickets available for sale.
    Check my posts or email me
    Thanks
    CHRIS
    p.s. Unfortunately the Jays are screwed with their division (any other division they would be fine) 3rd place here we come again......
  • noplayer10 wrote: »
    p.s. Unfortunately the Jays are screwed with their division (any other division they would be fine) 3rd place here we come again......

The Jays finished in 2nd place in the AL East last year!
  • I think the Jays will surprise some people. They improved their hitting and their pitching could not of gotting might worse. The Yanks didn't really do much so I see the Jays at least coming within a couple of games this year and even closer in the Wild Card.
  • I see them making the playoffs this year. A lot of things have to go right but I'm optimistic. And if Burnett can stay healthy and find his top form and Halladay does what he always does they will be a serious contender in the playoffs with those 2 at the top of the rotation. Hopefully things fall into place this year, I'm looking forward to the start of the season.
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    I see them making the playoffs this year. A lot of things have to go right but I'm optimistic. And if Burnett can stay healthy and find his top form and Halladay does what he always does they will be a serious contender in the playoffs with those 2 at the top of the rotation. Hopefully things fall into place this year, I'm looking forward to the start of the season.

Me too. All these guys they signed are such good deals. Jeff Suppan signed for like 11 million a year and his celing his low. Zambrano used to be good I see him being decent. Thompson is alright he just needs to have a full strength shoulder, and Ohka is good. But seriously arbitration is such a rip. Someone try to tell me that Bedard isnt better then Lily but some how Lily makes 7 million more a year.
  • I definitely see the Jays be serious contenders if a few things go right. Chacin has to return to his form from his rookie season so he can establish himself as a good third starter. Two of Thomson, Ohka, Zambrano and Towers (Yes, THE Josh Towers) will have to step up and do their fair share at the back end of the rotation. I have not given up on Towers yet, I feel that he could bounce back and have a semi-decent season as a fifth starter. He was huge in 2004 and 2005 when Halladay went down, so he can definitely do it again. Hopefully we'll be able to get our fourth and fifth starter to hold a .500 record and things should take care of itself. Burnett staying healthy will also be a key to our success. Another thing is the bullpen, League will need to step up and become a Zumaya type of setup man after we lost Speier. League definitely has the "stuff" to handle the eighth, but he will need to improve his control. The batting lineup is pretty much the same as last year, with the addition of Frank Thomas which is a significant improvement over our DH combination last season. It will also allow Lind some time to fully develop and possibly step into the DH role in '08. Both the Yankees and Red Sox have holes and are not perfect themselves.
    By moving Papelbon into the rotation, Boston left themselves a signficantly weaker bullpen. New York has the same concern with the ageless wonder Rivera, it is quite a big dropoff from the closer to the rest of the pen. However, Red Sox's starting rotation is gross (Schilling, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Papelbon, Wakefield/Lester), it is definitely one of the best in the majors. Yankees also has one of the best offence in the league and their starting rotation is not a weak one either.

With that said, it should be a tight AL East this season. I think Jays will probably finish with around 88-92 wins, and will be a game or two within the wild card. I won't go as far as saying the Jays will make the playoffs, but it is definitely possible.
  • Westside, I definitely think League can be our man like Zumaya. He has all the potential in the world it's just sometimes he throws his fastball right down the pipe and it blows up in his face. He's got to learn how to keep his 0-2 count and use it to his advantage. Like you said, I think our bullpen is key. I remember going to a Mariners game last year where the bullpen completely blew the win for Halladay and we ended up losing in extra innings. If we want to seriously contend this year, we're going to need to have a strong bullpen that can hold our leads.
  • BJ Ryan gave us the jump from 3rd to 2nd last year, IMO. I had forgotten what is what like to have a CLOSER (and not a POSER) in the bullpen. It's so reassuring to have a 2 run lead in the 8th, and say "BJ time, we're good!" He's worth every penny.

But to make the playoffs, EVERYONE needs to contribute and stay healthy. A deep roster is the key.

Hey, any newbies going to Opening Day? Westside, Itsame, Drtyore, stpboy, and Myself are going to be there for the first pitch of '07!

Johnnie