Blind defense

Villian is a frequent stealer, aggressive, not a maniac, but I wouldn't say his play is particularly tight from LP either. I'd classify him as a TAG with LAGish tendencies in blind steal/defense situations.

Don't really like my play, but I always end up unsure of where to pick my aggressive spots when I'm OOP. Donk flop, CR flop? Check-call and donk turn? Check-call and CR semibluff turn?

POKERSTARS GAME #8431085895: HOLD'EM LIMIT ($3/$6) - 2007/02/13 - 23:10:13 (ET)
Table 'Leonce' 10-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: fergy26 ($244 in chips)
Seat 2: RICKJAMZ ($105 in chips)
Seat 3: GKD33 ($144 in chips)
Seat 4: chuff21 ($139.50 in chips)
Seat 5: bignoise ($142.50 in chips)
Seat 6: king8882 ($248.50 in chips)
Seat 7: tiggr817 ($138 in chips)
Seat 8: Mr_ZaaZ ($120 in chips)
Seat 9: ScoobyD ($339 in chips)
Seat 10: firitup690 ($134 in chips)
ScoobyD: posts small blind $1
firitup690: posts big blind $3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScoobyD [5h Ah]
fergy26: folds
RICKJAMZ: folds
GKD33: folds
chuff21: folds
bignoise: folds
king8882: folds
tiggr817: folds
Mr_ZaaZ: raises $3 to $6
ScoobyD: raises $3 to $9
firitup690: folds
Mr_ZaaZ: raises $3 to $12
Betting is capped
ScoobyD: calls $3
*** FLOP *** [6c Jh 5c]
ScoobyD: checks
Mr_ZaaZ: bets $3
ScoobyD: calls $3
*** TURN *** [6c Jh 5c] [3h]
Mr_ZaaZ: bets $6
ScoobyD: calls $6
*** RIVER *** [6c Jh 5c 3h]
Mr_ZaaZ: checks

Comments

• did you end up winning the hand and if not what did the other guy have.

it just ended with both of you guys checking the river
  • I'd CR the flop and see if he 3 bets.

I also would have just called his pre-flop raise. I think flat-calling (inviting the BB to call as well) shows more strength than 3-betting a frequent stealer. That also keeps the pot a bit smaller, making it more likely for him to fold if you lead out on the turn.

As it was played, I think CR'ing the turn isn't likely to get a fold out of him, just a check-behind on the river.

Let me guess, your A5 destroyed his AQ/AK. Nah, I don't think you won the hand, he probably had 77-TT, but at least you got to see his hand for free.

/g2
  • I also would have just called his pre-flop raise. I think flat-calling (inviting the BB to call as well) shows more strength than 3-betting a frequent stealer.

Generally, I prefer isolating the stealer here than inviting in the BB so I can play a hand OOP against 2 opponents. And generally I like taking the lead in the hand as well (though that backfired here with his cap). I'd probably prefer folding here to calling (although I still like 3 betting better).

I'd agree that flat calling the raise and then leading the flop into 2 opponents (regardless of what hits) is probably going to show more strength, but then you get into a guessing game of what the BB might be playing as well.
  • ScoobyD wrote: »
    I'd agree that flat calling the raise and then leading the flop into 2 opponents (regardless of what hits) is probably going to show more strength, but then you get into a guessing game of what the BB might be playing as well.
    On second thought... no one [typically] pays attention to the blinds flat calling raises, so the strength would go unnoticed in this case. So then leading out on the flop would just be one of AcidJoe's 'donkbets' and the villain would most likely put you on a piece (correct in the case of this flop).

/g2
  • I think this hand could have been really interesting if it was live... and pre-flop you could have picked up chips as if you were going to raise, but then just flat-call. That would give you the best of both worlds... BB likely folds and betting is closed keeping the pot smaller so you can CR the villain out of the hand later.

/g2