2008 Olympics

With the Olympics being just of a year away, I have a question for you to think about. Should Canada be sending an Olympic team to Beijing?

In 2008 the world will be focus on China, as they will be heading there for the Olympics. Pouring millions and millions of dollars into there economy.

It hasn’t even been 20 years since Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. Young people wanting the ability to make a choice for their own way of life.

How the Olympic committee vote to give the games to China is beyond me. China has such a horrible record when it comes to human right issues. In case you forgot what this country did to these young people look it up again, it is truly appalling.

I will not watch these Olympic games and I think our country should boycott these games.

Prophet 22

Comments

• I think we should go, but only because throughout history the games have been a unifying source regardless of political environments.

I think the 1998 World Cup is an excellent example of the power of games to unify political enemies. I am referring to the Iran v. USA game. This was a highly publicized game because of the political conflict between the two countries - but before the game the shook hands, exchanged flags, caps and t-shirts and it went of without a hitch.

However, I was surprised from the political front, when the Liberals were thrashing Harper for giving China the cold shoulder...

Many people dont realize the full extent of Tiananmen Square - they should really educate them on the full extent of this complete lack of compassion for human life.

But, the Olympic games and all games, I believe should be played outside the political arena - it provides for humankind a common thread, that despite our differences we can also be the same.

Whether, it was German and Canadian troops playing soccer on Christmas during WWII or the Athenians and Spartans wrestling - the games have always went on despite, and often inspite, of war.

I hope this can change some of the previous voters opinions.
  • blah blah blah

gimme a call after you stop buying chinese goods. then we'll worry about games.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    blah blah blah

gimme a call after you stop buying chinese goods. then we'll worry about games.

I find it hard to believe your caviler attitude about this. I spent some time looking around my apartment and didn't find anything that said made in china. Now I am sure I have some things. I think this is an important issue and would rather pay more for a product than buy something that sid made in China.

I challenge you to read some of the articles from that event in history. Maybe because we are so far removed we don't even think about it. We have know idea of how fortunate we really are with the freedoms we really have here in this country.

Tom when you decide to run for office, I will be your campaign manger.

Prophet 22
  • I agree with Brent. Tianamen Square was a horrific event. I'm surprised that the Olympic committee even considered China. Toronto should have been approved, we represent diversity and freedom. China continues to suppress their over 50 minority groups and only show their hospitality when "foreginers" come to visit.

However as TNorth stated, the Olympics should be outside a political arena and wherever our athletes are, we should support them. It is just sad that many times the Olympics involve so many political factors and the athletes and civilians end up affected.
  • After reading some of the posts and undestanding that histroy has been ugly in China, has anyone considered the fact that maybe the Olympics can bring out the better side of a country when they are hosting. For instance the atrocitises that have happened in the past may have faded out of the majority of the worlds memories if not for the Olympics and forums like this reminding people to rethink how China got the bid. Now with the Olympics coming to China they are under the microscope every day from so many different groups.

For those that believe a country shouldn't have the Olypmics because of historical events, give me a break. if that was the case then no one would hold the Olympics. Some examples, maybe not as extreme as China's would be.... U.S's holds the Olypmics multiple times since their involvement in many "police actions" that they were never asked to help out in. Russia holds the Olympics while occupying Afganistan, Canada Holds the Olypmics even know the olourful history with treatment of Japanesse during World War II. France holds the Olympics while being one of the largest distributors of modern weapons to third world nations and supporting multiple wars in Africa.

From my point of view the Olympics should be, as Tom noted, seperate from politics whenever possible. The Games should be as they were always meant to be, a forum for international sportsmanship and competition.

ATM_GP
  • ATM_GP wrote: »
    The Games should be as they were always meant to be, a forum for international sportsmanship and competition.
    graham is the smartest big man i know