Neteller????

So I realized about 3 days ago that some money I had cashed out was still pending - even though this generally happens very quickly... I called Neteller so that I could get some details on my monies.

They told me last night that they were just a little overloaded with the new US changes and that it should be approved soon.

Today I logged into Neteller and received the following message:

"An error has been encountered

Your account has been closed.

Please call NETELLER Security at 1-86-NETELLER and press 0 then option 2, or email admin@neteller.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience. "

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The account closed error happened to me a few months ago. Apparently it's rather routine. A call to them quickly cleared up the problem.

/g2
  • One phone call will fix that. Apparently if they feel someone tried to hack your account or anything is amiss they do that. You'll be back up within 5 minutes.
  • Happened to me about a year ago as well. Quickly resolved with a phone call.
  • Pretty sure everyone's account gets at least one call us thing happen to it. Generally the most productive thing to do is, go figure, call them =O

I did just speak with them about some other matters. The confirmed that EFTs are still fine and will take 2-3 business days, however any check requests will not happen if the account (and subsequent check issued) is in US funds (as it should be or else one is paying insane exchange fees).

Neteller accounts in Canadian funds can get checks as usual but again if your neteller is in Canadian funds you are nuts :P.

THose of us who happily received US funds checks within 3-4 days in the past (they have a mailing center in Canada) will have to re-attatch a bank account to get an EFT now, which is a bit annoying as it forces the exchange of the funds into Canadian (as you can only link a Canadian funds account) with a fee attatched.

Still that's a lot better then what Americans are dealing with at the moment.
  • TNORTH wrote: »
    So I realized about 3 days ago that some money I had cashed out was still pending - even though this generally happens very quickly... I called Neteller so that I could get some details on my monies.

They told me last night that they were just a little overloaded with the new US changes and that it should be approved soon.

Today I logged into Neteller and received the following message:

"An error has been encountered

Your account has been closed.

Please call NETELLER Security at 1-86-NETELLER and press 0 then option 2, or email admin@neteller.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience. "

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Happened to me once. They thought that I was trying to connect from another country and "closed" my account.

Quick call <5mins cleared things up.
  • Great - thanks for all the help!
  • Happened to me probably 3 times now. All 3 times was because I tried to login from different IPs. (Toronto home, UWaterloo, Bristol St.), nothing a call won't fix.
  • I had someone make unauthorized transactions from my Neteller account this morning. I only noticed because I got two emails both saying that $10 transfers to an online merchant have been completed.

I did not make any transactions, so I logged into my account and noticed that there were 7 attempts at transfers today. 5 were declined due to insufficient funds (I had recently cleared most of my balance out of my account)...

So they tried 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 (all within the same minute) then 10, 20 again... they got the two $10 transactions. There are two sites that they transferred to - "10Bet" and "Mansion". I have never played at either of these sites.

I called Neteller immediately and they said they would close my account and forward the info to the investigations department. They said it would take 1-2 days.

So I may be out $20 (it could have been much worse if I actually had more money in there...)

I have never given out my account info to ANYONE and don't play any online poker on anyones' computer but my own. I'm concerned how my info, especially my secureid got out there...

I'll let you know the outcome.

hork.
  • And it gets even WORSE for Neteller:

The FBI has frozen funds held in customer accounts at Neteller, the "virtual wallet" payment processor, as part of its case against the firm's two Canadian founders who were last month arrested and charged with racketeering and money laundering.
    Neteller refused to disclose how much had been frozen but company filings make clear huge sums were flowing between its US customers' "e-wallets" and online merchants - particularly gambling websites - up until the firm was pressured to close its American operations in the wake of last month's arrests. Over a six-month period last year the company processed transactions worth $5.1bn (£2.6bn), with about 85% involving US customers.

Less than three weeks ago, Neteller said in a statement to the stock exchange: "The funds of US resident customers are held in segregated trust accounts and are fully secure and will be available for withdrawal by customers on demand."

Since then, advice on the group's website makes clear customer withdrawals have now been blocked. "As a top priority, we are working to resolve all withdrawal issues but in the meantime we continue to maintain these funds in trust on your behalf," customers are told. "Please check this page regularly for more updates."

The US Congress passed tough anti-gambling laws last October but several rogue operators based in off-shore tax havens have continued to target US punters, flouting the new legislation. They relied heavily on Neteller.

In the past five years, Neteller came to dominate gambling transactions in America because its e-wallets allowed users to get around credit card blocks on gambling sites. Following the arrests of founders Stephen Lawrence and John Lefebvre, who face up to 20 years in jail if convicted, the decision was quickly taken to shut down US operations. Trading in the company's shares was also suspended and remains so.

The FBI claim JSL Systems, a US-based payment company owned by Mr Lefebvre, received customer funds in the US for Neteller and then transferred them to accounts held by a Neteller company in Canada. Last month Neteller told the Guardian that wagered money no longer passed through JSL.

It is unclear whether the FBI will treat some or all of the funds as proceeds of illegal gambling. One US newspaper report cited Neil Donovan, an FBI agent, saying the funds were being held in court as potential evidence. Some money may be returned to Neteller customers but no timescale was forthcoming, the report said. A spokeswoman for the Department of Justice last night refused to confirm details in the report, as did Neteller.

Is this the beginning of the end for Neteller?
  • Hork, Dave Scharf also had a simliar thing that happened to him a couple of weeks back. I haven't checked his forum lately but you might be able to find out more info on his case by checking his forum or PM-ing him.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Hork, Dave Scharf also had a simliar thing that happened to him a couple of weeks back. I haven't checked his forum lately but you might be able to find out more info on his case by checking his forum or PM-ing him.

Interesting.... What he describes on his blog is exactly what happened to me. Also happened to Ralph too.
  • The most shocking thing to me is the relaxed attitude that Neteller is taking to this.

I was the victim of a theft. I contacted them and got very little satisfaction. My friend Ralph contacted them and they never replied to him at all???

I am done with neteller.
  • I assume you guys are all 'Neteller VIPs'? Does the vip line get you a better answer?
  • What about the bank account Neteller is connected to?

Any risk there?

Dave, when you say you are "done" with them, have you secured yout bank account against Netteller transactions as well? (I'm assuming you had EFT set up).

I've been using Neteller for all my withdrawels, and never carry a balance, but I am concerned about the bank accoutn side of things.

Are there fees associated with having Stars mail you cheques rather than withdraw to Neteller?
  • I have not secured my bank account v. Neteller. Never really thought about it, actually. I feel confident that Neteller is honest. Bu, their security has been compromised. At least as far as my account is concerned.