Just Curious

Would anyone have played this differently. I had been at the table for one orbit, had played a fair number of hands and was taking down pots without showdown. Pocket pairs were coming my way fast and furious, and I was calling a lot of raises. I felt playing passively was my best approach since I thought I had the best hand unless he had KK.

Villians hand is in white if you care to see what he called me with.

PokerStars Game #8224792487: Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - Table 'Hypsipyle II' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Acidjoe ($41.95 in chips)
Seat 2: BestHand56 ($28.30 in chips)
Seat 3: Niclas666 ($49.35 in chips)
Seat 4: mozart1983 ($14.35 in chips)
Seat 5: topspur76 ($77.75 in chips)
Seat 6: boof1 ($75.20 in chips)
Seat 7: Kohle#34 ($28.05 in chips)
Seat 8: xxStarskyxx ($46.90 in chips)
Kohle#34: posts small blind $0.25
xxStarskyxx: posts big blind $0.50
HottyMomma: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Acidjoe [8c 8h]
Acidjoe: calls $0.50
BestHand56: folds
Niclas666: raises $1.50 to $2
mozart1983: folds
topspur76: folds
boof1: folds
Kohle#34: folds
xxStarskyxx: folds
Acidjoe: calls $1.50
*** FLOP *** [Kd 8d Kh]
Acidjoe: checks
Niclas666: bets $2
Acidjoe: calls $2
*** TURN *** [Kd 8d Kh] [2d]
Acidjoe: checks
Niclas666: bets $3.50
Acidjoe: calls $3.50
*** RIVER *** [Kd 8d Kh 2d] [7s]
Acidjoe: bets $15
Niclas666: calls $15
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Acidjoe: shows [8c 8h] (a full house, Eights full of Kings)
Niclas666: mucks hand
Acidjoe collected $43.50 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $45.75 | Rake $2.25
Board [Kd 8d Kh 2d 7s]
Seat 1: Acidjoe showed [8c 8h] and won ($43.50) with a full house, Eights full of Kings
Seat 2: BestHand56 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Niclas666 mucked [As Ks]
Seat 4: mozart1983 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: topspur76 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: boof1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Kohle#34 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: xxStarskyxx (big blind) folded before Flop

Comments

• I may have put in a raise on the flop/turn, unless I thought that I'd lose him.

Well done Joe.
    Gotta love those flops.
  • Yea... I think you got the most out of him there....

He probably had a big pocket pair, didn't put you on a king until you slowplayed the heck outta him - surprised you get $15 out of him to be honest.... a river pot-sized bet... nh sir

Mark
  • Playing this in such a way that doesn't allow you to get all-in by the river is bad. Checkraise the flop or lead into him on the flop are lines I like. At least checkraise the turn if you're going to do this wtf. Slowplaying is almost always a terrible idea when stacks are deep.
  • In NL my goal is not necessarily to win pots, its to win stacks. Especially with big hands where I want to build big pots. To win my opponents stack I'll need to bet enough on each level where at the final round of betting he will end up with the odds to put in his whole stack.

For this I like a flop bet, and a nice size bet even if its overbetting the pot.
  • I agree, I think you should have been raising with the hopes of having all the chips in on the river. You said yourself you'd played a lot of hands without showdown so your image would likely be a little loose and hence you'd probably get looked up, which is what you want here. NH and nice pot but I think you missed out on the rest of his chips. I doubt very much he's dumping AK on that board.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Yea... I think you got the most out of him there....
    I think you're wrong. :)

I can't say it any better than Big E or Watts et al. Check/calling the flop and turn, then betting out big on the river never gets you paid as much as you could using other lines. When you bet out big on the river the only hand that is going to raise you is KK, especially considering the flush completed on the turn. You're lucky his kicker was as good as it was or he might not have even paid off your river bet.

/g2
  • Those are the types of things I want to hear. Lately when I flop something that large if I bet out or check raise flop/turn it's a quick fold. He went into the tank thinking about what to do and hit call only before his time expired.

Thanks guys.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I felt playing passively was my best approach since I thought I had the best hand unless he had KK.
    Personally I prefer playing aggressively when I have the best hand.
    As has already been said, I want to get as much money out of my big hands and to do that is to make the pot bigger.

That said, good hand.
  • Raise the turn? Seems like he's trying to milk you with his King.