Great Read But Had To Pay Him Off

Friday night frenzy at the 5/10 in Brantford

i'm on the button looking down at wayne gretzky (99)

UTG raises, 2 people call $10 then middle position bumps it to $15 everyone calls including me. UTG caps the betting to $20

6 people call and see a flop of 5 9 8

SB: checks
BB: checks
UTG: bets
call
MP: RAISE
Button: RE-RAISE (me)
UTG: CAPS

Turn card: K

sb: checks
bb: checks
UTG: checks
MP: Bets
BUTTON: "FUCK, YOU HAVE POCKET KINGS, THAT IS SO SICK!" calls
UTG: folds
sb: folds
bb: folds

river card: 8

MP: bets
BUTTON: (me) shows cards "I FLOPPED A SET, WHAT DID YOU LIKE ON THE FLOP? (laughing)" ....in the tank for 5 mins, and calls.

MP: "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE WHY ARE YOU CALLING MY CARDS ON THE TURN AND SHOWING ME YOUR HAND WHEN THERE IS STILL SOMEONE STILL TO ACT" (he rakes in a $300 dollar pot) with a set of Kings

UTG had JJ
MP had KK set on the turn
BUTTON (me) 99 set on the flop

=========================================================

i) Before you guys say start mocking my play for calling with 99 to a cap, im sorry if I didn't read any of your books.

ii) If you knew he had kings why did you pay him off? ....well smartass look at the size of the pot $10 dollars to make $300.

I'm not looking for comments on this hand, it's NOT a bad beat. Kings in that position would never fold. I only posted this hand for people that are running bad, it happens to all of us.

Comments

• A: I like calling with 99 in NL games, and dependant on the limit game (i.e. implied odds), I don't hate the move with 99... though you'll have to NOT MARRY IT ON THE FLOP without improving.

B: Flop like that, 598? Sure, your read blah blah, but if there's a chance he's overplaying AK (and there is usually that chance), I'm going to cap this and at least call any bet be the river.

C: My only comment is that if your quoted text is what you had actually said... that is really really poor etiquette. Also, him hitting his KK isn't all that sick, since, well, you did the same thing on the flop.

Mark
  • i'm in the hand, I have every right to start putting people on cards. It doesn't mean i'm correct. Bad ettiquette was when I turned over my set on the river when there was still one player to act. I appoligized to the KK after the hand.

Yes, it was sick that I flopped a set, I should have folded pre-flop. Especially on that board. It was a straight board, 2 pair board, back door runner runner flush board...what was I thinking?!?!

ps. Mark this is the second time you mis-read a post: IT WAS CAPPED AFTER THE FLOP
  • djalikool wrote: »

i) Before you guys say start mocking my play for calling with 99 to a cap, im sorry if I didn't read any of your books.
    QUOTE]

Didn't you say that? After the flop, you're obviously playing the hand. I see where you said pre flop you called three cold and it was capped behind you, alright, whatever. with 6 players seeing the flop and holding the button, I'll take a flop there.

You played the hand fine, but I sincerely hope I never find myself at a table with you. I really loathe when people discuss hands, expose hands etc, when there is action to be had.

Additionally, If your read is so perfect, fold. Pot odds be damned. If your read is imperfect, call correctly getting 30 to 1.

I know there's been pleas for mercy where you're concerned, but you're really quite an astonishing jackass. Why post the hand if you don't want fedback? Why post the hand in a forum if you aren't interested in anyone's commentary. What exactly do you hope to get out of your experience on this forum? Seriously ask yourself those questions.

So many of your actions scream 'cry for attention', you continue to post nothing of value, and continue to get defensive when people question your motives, or even why you are playing this game when you are apparently in posession of a severely addictive personality. I've also read the advice people have given regarding limiting your gambling, as opposed to eliminating it completely. As man who works with at risk youth, and as a man raised by a man with a severe addiction to alcohol, I think it's about the worst advice I have ever heard.

AA step one, and what should be your mantra.

I came to realize I was powereless.....

If I was a mod on this forum, I would ban you in a heartbeat for your own good.
  • This is so funny, I know this forum way too well! My original post already covered half the shit you wrote. I knew I would get ridiculed for my pre-flop play for playing 99 in a capped pot. I knew I would get some smartass say to me "well, if you knew he had KK why did you call?" and I knew you would mention my table ettiquette when I showed my hole cards after the river.

Why did I post this hand in the first place?...well, maybe if you would read the last part of my post I wrote: THIS IS NOT A BAD BEAT, I POSTED THIS FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE RUNNING BAD, IT HAPPENS TO ALOT OF US.

I'm not looking for comments about this hand, the way I played it and the outcome of it was my fault.

...just put me on your ignore list since I have no value in my posts...case closed
  • I didn't mis-read the post...

My point is, if I have a set, in a limit game, I'm willing to cap every street barring a ridiculously dangerous board (4-straight / 4-flush). Basically you were saying you thought you were beat with a set, and wondering if you should fold it? Bottom line... no... go balls to the wall with it.

As for the etiquette thing, I was referring more to the fact that since this was at BCC, and not a home game, the swearing and showing cards (which you admitted to) is very poor form....

But then again, I get up on chairs, so what do I know? ;)

Basically, in summary, I like the way you played the hand, but I think putting the dude on KK is a little "monster under the bed" mentality...

Mark
  • djalikool wrote: »
    ps. Mark this is the second time you mis-read a post: IT WAS CAPPED AFTER THE FLOP
    djalikool wrote: »
    i'm on the button looking down at wayne gretzky (99)

UTG raises(1st raise), 2 people call $10 then middle position bumps it to $15(2nd raise) everyone calls including me. UTG caps the betting to $20(3rd raise...also known as, you put it, the "cap"!)

6 people call and see a flop of 5 9 8

Mark...could you please learn to read posts correctly. Obviously it was only capped after the flop. Pre-flop, there was just 3 raises. DUH!
  • 13CARDS wrote: »
    Mark...could you please learn to read posts correctly. Obviously it was only capped after the flop. Pre-flop, there was just 3 raises. DUH!
    Not quite sure if this is sarcasm or not, but it was capped preflop and the op did cold call 3 bets, capped after him, but with 5-6 to the flop, he's getting pretty good odds with a pocket pair... I really don't have an issue with that. He hit the perfect flop, top set and bet it until the turn, then just calls. He was betting when ahead and calling when he could be behind. Not much anyone would do differently. Now obviously the op shouldn't have let his emotions get away from him at the table, but Mark is bang on, as usual, his point C is correct and is what Ali needs to avoid...
    Remember guys, if you knew the guy had pocket K's on the flop, wouldn't we want him to keep calling? After all he's drawing to only 2 outs, unfortunate that he hit this time, but in the long run, would the op come out ahead?
  • compuease wrote: »
    but in the long run, would the op come out ahead?

No...

KK beats 99 more often than not. :)

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    No...

KK beats 99 more often than not. :)

Mark
    Ummmm, I think I was talking post flop...... After he hit his set... :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Ummmm, I think I was talking post flop...... After he hit his set... :)

Well, maybe you need to be more clear....

Some of us apparently can't read a post correctly ;)

Mark

P.S. thanks for the back-up BTW