Ace high flush on flop split pot??

I was playing some free poker at Absolute today and something confused me, as an online newbie I was confused to begin with, so this didn't help...haha. Two players (I was out of the hand) had a flush with the Ace on the board and they split the pot. I always thought that it would go to the second card. I asked somebody in chat and they said that was the rule all the time. Is this true? I always played that it goes to the second card, that makes sense, but have I been playing wrong all this time, or did I just see it wrong? I'm sure there weren't 5 diamonds on the board, I think there were 4, each of the players having the fifth, and they split the pot. I just found it hard to believe that if the Ace is on the board a flush is split every time. Am I crazy, or just a confused amateur?

Comments

• A flush is a poker hand such as Q♣ 10♣ 7♣ 6♣ 4♣, which contains five cards of the same suit, not in rank sequence. It ranks above a straight and below a full house. Two flushes are compared as if they were high card hands. In other words, the highest ranking card of each is compared to determine the winner; if both have the same high card, then the second-highest ranking card is compared, etc. The suits have no value: two flushes with the same five ranks of cards are tied. Flushes are described by the highest card, as in "queen-high flush".

Examples:

A♥ Q♥ 10♥ 5♥ 3♥ ("ace-high flush") defeats K♠ Q♠ J♠ 9♠ 6♠ ("king-high flush")
    A♦ K♦ 7♦ 6♦ 2♦ ("flush, ace-king high") defeats A♥ Q♥ 10♥ 5♥ 3♥ ("flush, ace-queen high")
    Q♥ 10♥ 9♥ 5♥ 2♥ ("heart flush") ties Q♠ 10♠ 9♠ 5♠ 2♠ ("spade flush")
  • Yes I know all that. I've played alot of poker. This situation was...both flushes were diamonds. Four diamonds showing with the Ace and each person had a diamond in their hand. Obviously one diamond back was higher than the other guys diamond, yet they split the pot. See what I mean? Maybe I was mistaken?
  • That means they both had smaller diamonds and the board has a better diamond for example: if the board is Ad Qd 8d 9d 6d and you have a 3d then you play the board. Your 3 of diamonds is no good. You need a diamond higher then 6 to win the pot. Otherwise it's a chop!

Hope that helps
  • But there were only 4 diamonds on the community. Each players hand diamond came into play. Maybe I just missed something....I don't know.
    That's what I didn't understand. That couldn't be a split pot, as each players diamond should have come into play. I asked about it in the chat and was told with an Ace high flush they split the pot. Another player thought it was strange also. Oh well, who knows. I'll keep an eye on it in the future.
  • Intresting, if you can find the hand history please post it for me.

Are you sure they both had a flush? They could both be playing the board in other situations too.
  • djalikool wrote: »
    Intresting, if you can find the hand history please post it for me.

Are you sure they both had a flush? They could both be playing the board in other situations too.

I'd like to see the HH too.
    If both their hands played, it should not be a chop.

If you have the HH, I'd email their support with it and question them
  • You keep saying "maybe I missed something" I'm going to say that that is definitely the case. Mistakes like that just don't happen online. There must have been 5 diamonds on the board and you didn't notice, causing them both to be playing the board.

sstar
  • Yep I did miss something. The one guy won the side pot, it wasn't a split pot. I wasn't paying close enough attention. Sorry I'm new to online playing and was having a tough time following it.....all the bright lights and sounds were confusing me ;-), and didn't realize you could look at the hand history. Here it is. Turns out it was 5 spades not diamonds etc anyways here it is........

Stage #557835012: Holdem No Limit $10 - 2007-01-27 20:54:29 (ET)
    Table: GREATLAND DR. (Play Money) Seat #9 is the dealer
    Seat 9 - ZILDGEN ($5925 in chips)
    Seat 1 - GOBEARS_XLI ($275 in chips)
    Seat 3 - ICETRE ($1850 in chips)
    Seat 5 - SUPERNED ($4725 in chips)
    Seat 6 - GIBSANDY ($1600 in chips)
    Seat 7 - KENNYMO6984 ($1670 in chips)
    Seat 8 - IM2DVS ($2180 in chips)
    GOBEARS_XLI - Posts small blind $5
    ICETRE - Posts big blind $10
    *** POCKET CARDS ***
    Dealt to SUPERNED [2s 4c]
    SUPERNED - Folds
    GIBSANDY - Raises $20 to $20
    KENNYMO6984 - Calls $20
    IM2DVS - Calls $20
    ZILDGEN - Calls $20
    GOBEARS_XLI - Calls $15
    ICETRE - Calls $10
    *** FLOP *** [As 10s 7c]
    GOBEARS_XLI - Checks
    ICETRE - Bets $220
    GIBSANDY - Raises $440 to $440
    KENNYMO6984 - Calls $440
    IM2DVS - Calls $440
    ZILDGEN - Folds
    GOBEARS_XLI - Folds
    ICETRE - Calls $220
    *** TURN *** [As 10s 7c] [10h]
    ICETRE - Checks
    GIBSANDY - Checks
    KENNYMO6984 - Checks
    IM2DVS - Checks
    *** RIVER *** [As 10s 7c 10h] [4s]
    ICETRE - Bets $610
    GIBSANDY - All-In(Raise) $1140 to $1140
    KENNYMO6984 - All-In(Raise) $1210 to $1210
    IM2DVS - Folds
    ICETRE - Calls $600
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    KENNYMO6984 - Shows [Js 7s] (Flush, ace high)
    ICETRE - Mucks
    GIBSANDY - Shows [5s Qs] (Flush, ace high)
    KENNYMO6984 Collects $140 from side pot-1
    GIBSANDY Collects $5300 from main pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total Pot($5440:$5300,$140)
    Board [As 10s 7c 10h 4s]
    Seat 1: GOBEARS_XLI (small blind) Folded on the FLOP
    Seat 3: ICETRE (big blind) HI: [Mucked] [Ac 6c]
    Seat 5: SUPERNED Folded on the POCKET CARDS
    Seat 6: GIBSANDY won Total ($5300) All-In HI:($5300) with Flush, ace high [5s Qs - B:As,P:Qs,B:10s,P:5s,B:4s]
    Seat 7: KENNYMO6984 won Total ($140) All-In HI:($140) with Flush, ace high [Js 7s - B:As,P:Js,B:10s,P:7s,B:4s]
    Seat 8: IM2DVS Folded on the RIVER
    Seat 9: ZILDGEN (dealer) Folded on the FLOP
  • WOW...loose table
  • Its funny money table
  • it wasn't a split, it was a side pot....the other person that originally had money in the side pot had folded before the showdown. Person with the Queen in their hand won the main pot, the jack the 140 bucks in the side pot

I agree...loose table....but you can expect anything with the funny money
  • About what I'd expect from a play money table.
  • i love playing play money after I have taken a couple of bad beats. everyone plays so loose and it is easy to blow off some steam after the bad beats.
  • i understand what you fellas are talking about flushes im not a newbie

A♥ Q♥ 10♥ 5♥ 3♥ ("ace-high flush") defeats K♠ Q♠ J♠ 9♠ 6♠ ("king-high flush")
    A♦ K♦ 7♦ 6♦ 2♦ ("flush, ace-king high") defeats A♥ Q♥ 10♥ 5♥ 3♥ ("flush, ace-queen high")
    Q♥ 10♥ 9♥ 5♥ 2♥ ("heart flush") ties Q♠ 10♠ 9♠ 5♠ 2♠ ("spade flush")

that is true. but i ran across some people who've played hold'em, that as long as there is an ace on the community cards it will be a split pot regardless of the 2nd card even if you holds a K and the other person holds a Q. this is something new i ran across. anyone else heard of it also?