How not to play a hand.

It's taken me a little courage to post this as this is some REALLY bad playing on my part. The only excuses that I can offer was that I was falling asleep at the table and SWORE that this was my second to last hand.

It's so good, in fact, that I think I'll present it in the form of Dan Harrington's third book.

***PLEASE feel free to tear apart my play (because I really deserve it on this one) and teach all the new players exactly what I did wrong...

Senario: You are playing micro-no-limit hold'em poker ($0.10/$0.25 NL) on an online site (PokerStars). You have $25 in your stack and are UTG+1 this hand. Player A (UTG, $13), calls any bet pre-flop 90% of the time, rarely raises pre-flop and lets go of hands early. Player B (Cutoff - $15), the only thing you notice is that he's played VERY few hands.

1. You are dealt 99. Player A raises to $1.25. You...

a) Fold
b) Call
b) Re-raise to $3.50
d) Push all-in

Actually: You call $1.25.

2. Action is folded around to Player B who bumps the bet to $4.25. Player A flat calls. The pot is now $10.10 You...

a) Fold
b) Call
c) Push all-in.

Actually: You call the extra $3.

3. The flop comes 7 3 2 rainbow. Player A pushes all-in for his last $8.75. Do you...

a) Fold
b) Call
c) Push all-in.

Actually: Obviously, you push all-in, cause you're certainly not beat here. Player B calls, and shows AA. No 9 comes. Player A mucks. You lose.

There you go! That's some mighty fine playin' on my part. There's certainly no point in the hand that I could have gotten away from it.... (<-- sarcasm)

Feel free to discuss!!

I guess the only question I have is on Step 2. Had I been awake I HAVE to put B on a big hand due to his tight play. Do I call the extra $3 into a pot of $10, letting go if a 9 doesn't come, or drop the hand right there?

I'm leaning towards folding, because with their stack smaller than mine, even though I'll likely bust one of them if I hit, there's only $18-19 bucks left on the table (~$10 from one, ~$8 from the other) and I'm not sure I'm getting the implied odds to call if I put Player B on a bigger pair.

Thoughts?

Comments

• either call/call and then fold post flop without trips (bit trickier if flop is say 678 rainbow where you likely have 10 outs - I assume this isnt the case).

Or call/fold to the raise preflop though I do not like this since you easily have implied odds if you hit a set.

Once you shove post flop all you have left is prayer that both people have AK, but you know that.

I would be really surprised if that was the worst play you saw at the table all night =O
  • Flopping a set is what... 1/6? So you're looking at calling another $3 for the possibility of winning another $18 + the ~$10 already in the pot. I personally would make the call.

Easy fold on the flop if you don't improve.

/g2
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    Or call/fold to the raise preflop though I do not like this since you easily have implied odds if you hit a set.

So are you suggesting call the raise then call the re-raise? If so you are wrong in saying that you have the implied odds if you hit a set.

with the $3 call of the re-raise you need the villain (who will pay off your set) to have at minimum of $15.15 behind to give you the implied odds. Neither villain even had this to start the hand.

You will hit your set 1 in 8 times here so you need to win ($3 yourbetX8=$24) to break even here. There is already $8.85 in the pot and:

Player A has $8.75 left
    Player B has $10.75 left

You hit your set and get Player A All-In ($8.75+$8.85=$17.60) not enuff
    You hit your set and get Player B All-In ($10.75+$8.85=$19.60)still not enuff

Keep in mind that this is the breakeven point for having the implied odds for the play to be +EV. You should be looking to make more that breakeven.

To OP:

You have bad position in a raised pot with 4 left to act. Your medium pair is a good hand for limping cheaply or raising in position. You are in a tough spot here because you can easily get sqeezed....which you did.

A case can be made for call, fold, or raise here. This should all depend on the table dynamic.

The call of the re-raise as you already know stinks.
  • Flopping a set is what... 1/6? So you're looking at calling another $3 for the possibility of winning another $18 + the ~$10 already in the pot. I personally would make the call.

Actually it's 1 in 8.5 (7.5:1). At BEST you can get another 18.

So assuming you can win 28 + your 1.25 at BEST (probably hoping both have big overpairs), you're getting 29.25:3 almost 10:1.

My initial "gut" feeling would be to fold to the reraise (even though it's not THAT big), mainly because your opponents stacks aren't giving you the best implied odds.

I'd say it's probably close, but to make this call on the basis of implied odds, you need to be pretty confident that you'll stack BOTH opponents here.

Additionally, it's easy to say:
    Easy fold on the flop if you don't improve.

But as already pointed out, what do you do when you pick up a straight draw or flop an overpair? If you DON'T have the displine to dump your overpair here (for whether the reason, whether it be due to tilt, fatigue etc.), then your actual implied odds are even worse than they appear to be, because you'll be paying off overpairs on seemingly good flops.

If the stacks were deeper, this call is justifiable. As is, fold to the reraise.
  • Not really a matter of discipline if you flop 6 7 8 rainbow, it is again math assuming you have 10 outs, and then likely it is correct to shove assuming it will be a 3 way all in vs first players random cards and second players higher pair (which is bad if its a 10 10 instead of higher).

Keep in mind the read given on the initial player basically assumed he was going all in regardless. The other player likely has a higher pair and will go in if you hit your set (unless maybe the board is wacky like KK9 and he has AA), so assuming all the chips will be in with implied odds is really not that far off.

Really either calling or folding to the reraise preflop is fine. If the two people's stacks were smaller (ie: $5 or less) then it is probably best to just fold or if you are in a gambling mood shove and see what happens.

The shove post flop was obviously one of those plays you immediately go "why did I do that?" before anything even happens, but we all make them. While not perfect it is hardly the worst play ever. Come join me at some Omaha hi/lo tables where the guy with 9992 rainbow calls multiple bets all the way hits a 9 on the river, wins , and then wonders why Pokerstars said he had 3 of a kind instead of quads. He won that hand, you lost your hand yet I think it's is fairly safe to say his play was a tab bit worse then yours =).
  • Meh, my bad. That's why I hate short-stacked poker.

/g2
  • considering how tight you said player B was playing and that it is your second last hand and ur falling asleep i would of let this one go in step 2 and just went to sleep.