Flopped a set do you call this?

I flopped a set on a 3 suited board after calling a pre flop raiser. I want other people's opinions on what to do. I had only 44 hands on villian with a VPIP of 20% and total aggression of 1.5. He went to show down 60% with a 75% winrate over those hands. He seemed to be hitting cards more than playing well. He was up about 70BB/100 hands during this time. I hadn't been involved in those hands.

: Seat 1 : BigJamesC has $91.22
: Seat 2 : millionhand has $42.83
: Seat 3 : luckymug76 has $32.70
: Seat 4 : Acidjoe63 has $35.15
: Seat 5 : Afro_Thundr has $159.59
: Seat 6 : cavii111 has $27.75
: Seat 7 : velm has $139.25
: Seat 8 : vinc54 has $15.49
Seat 9 : SuiteGntlmn has $17.50
Acidjoe63 is the dealer.
Afro_Thundr posted small blind.
cavii111 posted big blind.
Game [61954] started with 8 players.
Acidjoe63 has 6d 6s
velm folded.
vinc54 folded.
SuiteGntlmn folded.
millionhand called $0.50
luckymug76 called $0.50
Acidjoe63 called $0.50
Afro_Thundr called $0.25 and raised $2
cavii111 folded.
millionhand folded.
luckymug76 called $2
Acidjoe63 called $2
Dealing flop.
Board cards [6c 5c 2c]
Afro_Thundr checked.
luckymug76 checked.
Acidjoe63 bet $5
Afro_Thundr called $5
luckymug76 folded.
Dealing turn.
Board cards [6c 5c 2c 7d]
Afro_Thundr bet $4
Acidjoe63 called $4
Board cards [6c 5c 2c 7d Jd]
: Afro_Thundr bet $23

Comments

• without more read here, I would probably break my wrists calling this bet. Possible flush, but his betting on the turn looked more like a semi bluff to me. Jack on the river with his huge bet though, almost screams a set of jacks, but I would more than likely call cold here.
  • Was this a typical betting pattern for him?
    Would he do this with TPTK?

I'd suspect that he was on a busted flush draw (AcJx) and hit his jack at this point. Any cards that complete the str8 would not really justify a raise.

As much as I'd hate it...Call and prepare to reload.
  • Call......
  • while I'd love to tell everyone what he had..... I can't. I was torn as to what to do. I ended up timing out while analyzing it so I got folded. I really wanted to call but it seems that calls like that are what bust me for a huge pot so often. Seeing what everyone had to say it seems like a call isn't that huge a mistake.

I think I should have raised his turn bet (make it $12 to go) and see what happens I think that would have made life simple for me.

Hobbes: He had only shown down 4 hands that I saw KK JJ and QJ KQ off. All of these hands he had raised with. Never once did he fire a large bet like he did against me. In each of those cases he was the one calling a bet not acting first. The KQ hand he called down with K high.
  • kind of had the same hand on Saturday night (1/2), when I flopped trip Js on a spade board (including a ks). When the other player raised $25 on the flop, I called and when a spade came on the turn and river, we both checked it down (after the fourth spade came on the turn, I really couldn't bet). He flipped over AK (non-spade) and we chopped. In our case, I would have been pretty inclined to call if he was playing a lot of face cards and wasn't playing low cards (maybe he was slow playing a straight on the flop).
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I think I should have raised his turn bet (make it $12 to go) and see what happens I think that would have made life simple for me.
    Agreed. In the situation you were in, I probably would have called. It wouldn't be easy though.. if he did make the nut flush (or close to it) on the flop, it's easy to see a slow play like that. Then again, it's entirely possible he was drawing towards it or just hit a jack. The only thing that's obvious was that he didn't make a mediocre flush or he would have tried to end it on the flop.
  • Jam over his turn bet.
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    Jam over his turn bet.

Call river, or raise turn.
  • On the flop you have top set.

On the turn, 7/7 is top set, but if he had that, he would have likely raised on the flop. So unless he flopped a flush, you are ok and you want to find out by the turn, preferably the flop.

I would have raised on the turn for sure. I'm guessing he had Jx Ac and was trying to make his flush, missed but hit top pair and pushed.

I call this 9/10 times. The only way he plays so lax with his flopped flush is if he has nut flush, and even though you are behind badly here, if he dicks around with the turn and river, he can easily lose his stack to you if the board pairs.

You can't lose money if you fold, so I wouldn't say folding was a bad play here, but without more knowledge, I think he just had top pair on a busted flush draw, and if you called you would have won.

We'll never know!
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    Jam over his turn bet.

In retro spect I agree. I'm not sure why I just called what in hindsite seems to be a blocking bet which probably gave him the odds to call for his flush if I just called it. I think now that AJ was most likely with the A of spades in his hand.

Sometimes in the heat of the action "obvious" things don't seem to pop out at you as it does in hand history's when you read it.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
  • has much as it would pain me to make the call i would and would just pray for the best