Online Gambling in Canada?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to see what were your thoughts on this and if you think that Canada will follow the USA and try to ban online gambling?

Thanks!

Comments

• I think it's not very likely, given that we don't tax gambling winnings. If they do, I'll probably have a lot more time on my hands...
  • The deeply conservative religious right were heavily behind the measures we see happening in the US. They do not have any power that I know of in Canada, and frankly our Conservatives would be considered liberal in the US on the social issues.

If anything the Canadian government may do something against the online industry to help the gambling industry they run, though I doubt it for now.
  • Considering we're in a minority gov't, and the next election may not be all that far off, I really don't think that the conservatives would want to try to alienate any of their current online gaming supporters....
  • SuperBad wrote: »
    Considering we're in a minority gov't, and the next election may not be all that far off, I really don't think that the conservatives would want to try to alienate any of their current online gaming supporters....

LOL.

The conservatives went and erased 11Billion dollars from the income trust holders three months ago. Remember that people who hold income trusts are OLD and THEY VOTE all the time. If they have the guts to do that, then going after poker is nothing.
  • While I think the comparison of the income trust situation (which was an inhereted problem that generated much more of a reaction then they ever anticipated and thus much of it was modified) to the poker world is a stretch of a stretch while stretching, I will agree with what I assume is part of the point - namely that poker players are not really a voting group that any party is deeply concerned about. I kind of chuckled at SuperBad's post that implied otherwise (online poker players of Canada unite!)

The lack of a morality based conservative block (like the religious right in the US), plus the more lax rules regarding gambling winnings (ie: no tax here - so no directly lost revenue) have made it an area that is likely not anyone's deepest political concern for the time being.

Ideally Canada will eventually follow the British model and regulate/tax the industry, something the large online sites happily embrace. It certainly is the best financial solution for the government and it provides some order to an industry that is basically self regulated (though immense profits tend to provide adequate regulation in a way).

Edit: to add this link explaining the law that was passed here. It shows what the politician's motives are, which are quite a bit different then found in the US

http://www.pokerpages.com/poker-news/news/new-ontario-law-restricts-ads-for-online-poker--gambling-29418.htm
  • Know what I' say to the US? I'm gonna drink my GOOD CANADIAN BEER, buy-in to pokerstars from neteller, and have a damn good time doin it! (lol, not this early tho)
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    LOL.

The conservatives went and erased 11Billion dollars from the income trust holders three months ago. Remember that people who hold income trusts are OLD and THEY VOTE all the time. If they have the guts to do that, then going after poker is nothing.

So what was the solution? Allow the huge gaping hole of the difference between the taxation of distribution of income from trusts and corporations to continue? This gap would have been closed eventually, either by the recent legislation, or by future amendments to the way we tax dividends...(which the liberal gov't had already initiated)

There isn't a potential party in office that would have allowed this to continue... BTW: nothing was "erased". Current trust holders have a 4 year transitional period where the taxation of their distributions do not change. A pain in the ass for them, yes, erasing current wealth, no.

Being forced to tie up differences in the taxation of current earned income distribution isn't the same as changing a policy in the way we treat windfalls/gambling/poker income, i dont think...

this is prob a different debate for a different topic...
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    I kind of chuckled at SuperBad's post that implied otherwise (online poker players of Canada unite!)

http://www.pokerpages.com/poker-news/news/new-ontario-law-restricts-ads-for-online-poker--gambling-29418.htm

This isnt quite what i was trying to imply. Merely trying to state that i doubt the gov't would want to initiate new policy changes on topics which have received little, if any, public debate. (w.r.t. taxation of gambling-not just online poker- proceeds)