Torrents on Rogers High Speed

any suggestions on increasing download speed on Rogers high speed internet? what software is best to use? does it need to be qweeked for optimal performance? I use Utorrent and it is really slow. Thanks.

Comments

• Try using port 1720. You will need to set utorrent and your router if you have one.

Rogers throttles bittorrent traffic, but they use 1720 for VoIP service.
  • thanks Hobbes; I currently have the utorrent set at 1755; how do I change the router settings? in the control panel somewhere? once I changed utorrent to 1720, no real change.
  • Do you have a separate router (Linksys/SMC...etc) or does your computer connect directly to the cable modem? Need to know cause the instructions may differ.

You can also change the setting to use Encryption, that way rogers cannot detect the bit torrent packages.

In uTorrent:

Options->Preferences->BitTorrent

and set the Protocol encryption to Forced.
  • use a separate router but it is not wireless; just to split between rooms; does the type of router matter? I'm using version 1.4. Under options/preferences there is only torrents as a choice and no protocol setting. What version are you referring to?
  • The port doesn't matter anymore...you will not see any speed difference. You must make sure you have protocol encryption on, this will encrypt the bit torrent data packets so your ISP cannot tell it's bit torrent traffic. I use Rogers and get wicked speeds regardless of port with encryption on. I use Bit Comet 0.70. If you go to preferences~advanced~connection at the bottom set "Protocol Encryption" to "Always".

Also google Bit Comet and check the forum for posts on how to tweak Bit Comet for the best possible d/l speeds.
  • Big E wrote: »
    I use Bit Comet 0.70.
    Great client, but unfortunately banned by thepokerbay (Azereus is probably the best "unbanned" client).
  • I use bitTornado, i have gotten over 300/kbs at times
  • alekat47 wrote: »
    I use bitTornado, i have gotten over 300/kbs at times

I think these days , encryption is the key to it all.
    The ISP's cannot detect a bit torrent pack if the pack is encrypted.
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    Great client, but unfortunately banned by thepokerbay (Azereus is probably the best "unbanned" client).

Dang, and I was going to check out pokerbay this weekend and grab some stuff, thanks for the heads-up Trevor!

I'll have to give Azereus a try.
  • thanks everyone for the feedback! this gives me some ideas to try out and some new terminology to learn. Life use to be so simple.
  • The best program for torent sites is utorrent.
    I use it for 2-3 years ,, i had no problems , and i download with 500k . ( net from Rogers.)
  • Haven't used utorrent for a while. Running version 1.7.5 and the port I am using does not seem to be open (1755). Any ideas on how to open the port or other things I should check?