Should I have be more on the river (or bet at all)

Table has been very passive generally all folding to a 3xBB raise or a c-bet on the flop.

GAME #471219661: Texas Hold'em NL $0.25/$0.50 2007-01-08 17:27:42
Table Santa Anita
Seat 1: Hobbes114 ($71.98 in chips)
Seat 2: BlackRussian ($48.75 in chips)
Seat 3: paolofutre23 ($39.75 in chips)
Seat 4: Kurpale ($24.50 in chips)
Seat 5: royjohnson ($49.50 in chips)
Seat 6: NeoDk ($19.20 in chips)
Seat 7: Turbonado1978 ($8.25 in chips)
Seat 8: Cass65 ($94.12 in chips)
Seat 9: SimSim76 ($37.50 in chips) DEALER
Seat 10: macca29 ($49.00 in chips)
macca29: Post SB $0.25
Hobbes114: Post BB $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hobbes114 [Js Qc]
Dealt to Kurpale [Ad Jh]
BlackRussian: Fold
paolofutre23: Fold
Kurpale: Call $0.50
royjohnson: Call $0.50
NeoDk: Fold
Turbonado1978: Fold
Cass65: Fold
SimSim76: Fold
macca29: Call $0.25
Hobbes114: Raise $1.50
Kurpale: Call $1.50
royjohnson: Call $1.50
macca29: Fold
*** FLOP *** [Kc As 9h]
Hobbes114: Bet $2.00 <- Continuation/Probe bet
Kurpale: Call $2.00 <- OK I think he has an Ace.
royjohnson: Fold
*** TURN *** [Ts] <- Yea! Hit my straight.
Hobbes114: Bet $6.00
Kurpale: Call $6.00 <- He may have hit his too.
*** RIVER *** [Kh] <- Don't like this card, based on the calls so far.
He only has $14 left.

Hobbes114: Bet $7.00
Kurpale: Call $7.00
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $34.70 Rake $1.80
Hobbes114: wins $34.70

Comments

• Just to approach this backwards, if you check and he pushes would you fold (considering you'd be getting around 3-to-1 on the call). At these limits, I may be beat, but not often enough for me to fold, since my hand will be good here more often than not. And this may be a personal weakness, but if I'm not folding, I might as well keep up appearances and continue the betting. I like the bet...
  • If he pushed I was calling.
    I've seen too many weak hands at this table go to the river with top or middle pair.
  • Your comments don't make any sense. What do you mean he may have hit his too? You put villian on QJ exactly?

I also don't see what the problem is with the 'HK' on the river.

I also have no idea why anyone is saying the F--D word.
  • My question:

Why the pre-flop raise? Was it a read, or was it a steal attempt?

As for the river, well if I'm reading this right, the board end up (in order)

9-K-A-10-K

He calls $2 on the flop, $6 on he turn, and then you bet enough so that you're calling $7 into a pot of nearly $30, so like 4:1... calling is a must there, but what realistically could he be on? If he's as bad as you say he is, K9 or K10 is a possibility, could he have a set? I would have been raising with a set since your PF raise suggests an A, and he could realistically only have 99 on that flop. He would have raised with AK. So, I like the bet, and the call is automatic.

Mark
  • I was unsure when he called my $6 bet on the turn. Maybe just seeing monsters under the bed.
    Didn't think he'd call that with an Ace.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    My question:

Why the pre-flop raise? Was it a read, or was it a steal attempt?

As for the river, well if I'm reading this right, the board end up (in order)

9-K-A-10-K

He calls $2 on the flop, $6 on he turn, and then you bet enough so that you're calling $7 into a pot of nearly $30, so like 4:1... calling is a must there, but what realistically could he be on? If he's as bad as you say he is, K9 or K10 is a possibility, could he have a set? I would have been raising with a set since your PF raise suggests an A, and he could realistically only have 99 on that flop. He would have raised with AK. So, I like the bet, and the call is automatic.

Mark

The PFR was a steal attempt with how passive the table had been.

The way this table played, the $2 would have made most hands fold if they missed the flop, so that's why I initially put him on an Ace.
  • The bet is fine, if he made his full house (which i doubt) so be it.

A check is useless.

An allin is not required since

a) he might fold with just 2 pair
    b) chances are he wouldn't just call your $7 bet, he'd make it $14 anyways.
  • I wouldn't give him credit for a FH. If he has two pair on the turn he should be pushing to avoid another straight card coming if he was smart. I don't see much wrong with the bet but if hes only got 14$ left and the pot is 30$ on the river, I will either do a big under bet (rare) to induce a steal, or just put him all in.

At lower level cash games you see showdowns with very weak hands.

J
  • hey, you didn't state what does he has?
    i see you won the hand, but what does your opponent has?

Sometimes the core of hand analysis is not about what the outcome of the hand is, it is about the discussion of the choice of making a proper play based on the information available. And by posting the result, it might skewed the analysis as some people might get result oriented with their analysis.

It's in white under my hole cards.
    Highlight the blank line.

And like westside said, it's all about the decision process. I am trying to not be so results oriented