How does one?

So i played sit n go's this weekend approx 15-20 of them. I decided to keep track of all the "all in" hands that i was in preflop and see how many times i can get screwed. Well after the numbers were in figured it out that 64% of time going in with the best hand i lost. I find that number staggering. Granted some of these were with guys being really shorted stacked and not having any other play but to push. And with my stacks at the time it was an easy call.

Now i know its not rigged or anything but what does a guy do after this? SHould i keep playing through it and wait for the breaks to come my way or should take a bit of a break. It's really really frustrating when a gets runner runner for his flush to beat your trips or straight.

Comments

• Only play when you are in a positive frame of mind.
  • What is the best hand?

Pocket Deuces vs. A-K?

K-J vs. 9-8 suited?

Most of these situations are pretty close to begin with and if some one folded some of your outs you could be behind large.
  • 64% loss as an undefined favorite is not that staggering for what is likely a sample size of 30-40 at most. Obviously it is bad luck, but it is hardly "staggering."

Keep in mind also the following:

Many, many people have posted all sorts of what I will call "soft statistics" such as you have. My favorite was the guy who 1-2 years ago claimed here in 100,000 hands that as a 75% favorite or more he only won 25% of the time, which had equivalent odds of being randomly chosen among all the population of Earth multiple times in a row (he countered this with "well, it's still possible isn't it."

Also, people when they have some bad luck tend to stretch their stories a bit for various psychological reasons.

Hard to say where you fall in this soft statistic category as you have not provided all of your data (which of course could be altered for better effect).

Assuming you are honest, and assuming you truly believe their was no doomswitch style rigging involved, then have long term faith in statistics if you indeed find yourself ahead so many times in all ins.

In the end the long run works itself out despite the need a bad run creates to post essentially a bad beat post =O

All the best
  • your sample size is toooooooo small!

Also....I hear you! We have ALL been sucked out on before and it will never end!

The fact 'is' that when you stop worrying about bad beats and START employing that energy toward improving you will be much further ahead as a poker player.

If you can't control your tilt when these inevitable suckouts happen then take a break from playing!

Good Luck

Caddy
  • In the last two games I have played the hand I went out on was A-Q suited clubs vs. pocket Jacks.

Now in the first game I had pocket Jacks and lost to a Queen on the board, in the second game I had the A-Q suited in clubs and lost to the Jacks.

Now the numbers are pretty close to 50/50 but I would say the neither of us had the "best hand".
  • I have lost with KK 8 times in a row. Not once was I behind to someone's all in. I lost to AK 4 times, AQ once, A4 once, and KQ twice. This is my second downswing with the cowboys and I am beginnning to think I should just fold them ASAP. No flop, no nothin, just fold. That'll learn em.

(tongue in cheek, do not flame me and tell me I should write a book on folding KK preflop, it's already been done)
  • BigChrisEl wrote: »
    What is the best hand?

Pocket Deuces vs. A-K?

K-J vs. 9-8 suited?

Most of these situations are pretty close to begin with and if some one folded some of your outs you could be behind large.

And don't forget if the AK is suited and your 2 isn't the same suit your a tiny bit behind according to poker stove. Even at the best of times your deuces are only a little bit ahead of AK.
  • I say that you just try to play through these bad beats.

i have already said this but when im getting sucked out on constantly i either play lower limits for a while or just play some play money until im in the right frame of mind to play some good solid poker.