Computer Monitor Gurus (big E, beanie, moose, etc..)

Okay, went to Best Buy today and bought the "boxing day" special monitor. MAG 22" Widescreen for $320.. Good deal??? If not let me know...

Now, i went to hook and one of the wires were broke off so will return it tomorrow.. My question is..

on the back of my computer where my current monitor plugs in, there is not another spot for another monitor plug in?? There is one called "serial" but I don't think the right one... Will this work???? I want to utilize both? Is there something I'm missing, etc..

If this is a stupid question, please feel free to harass me.
thanks
ME

Comments

• If you want to run dual monitors you either need a card that can do that or a second card (easier to pick up a cheap one for this purpose). Now your monitor may have two inputs if that is what you are thinking of. One is VGA - analog, the other is DVI - digital. DVI is the best but again, you need a card that can handle it. If you computer doesn't have a DVI input but the monitor does and you intend on using dual monitors then spend a little more and get a DVI capable card.

Once I get around to it I will be running my main monitor on one card with a DVI input and my secondary monitor on my old card with VGA. Right now both are on VGA.
  • you can also use an adapter to utilize both monitors...there should be one in the box that came with your graphics card!!
    (again this depends on if your card can handle it...if not, you should be able to get a decent card for 80 or so bucks that will do both...)

www.canadacomputers.com
  • folded wrote: »
    Okay, went to Best Buy today and bought the "boxing day" special monitor. MAG 22" Widescreen for $320.. Good deal??? If not let me know...

Now, i went to hook and one of the wires were broke off so will return it tomorrow.. My question is..

on the back of my computer where my current monitor plugs in, there is not another spot for another monitor plug in?? There is one called "serial" but I don't think the right one... Will this work???? I want to utilize both? Is there something I'm missing, etc..

If this is a stupid question, please feel free to harass me.
    thanks
    ME

Sounds like you want to use both monitors but unfortunately it sounds like your current rig does not support dual monitors. You need either two or more video cards or you need a card that has dual monitor ports...most these days do. Here's a link to a brief blurb on dual monitors:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/twomonitors.mspx

You could also get an external device like this but it ain't cheap ...but it's f-ing cool! :)

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/home.php

E.
  • p.s. seems like a good deal.
  • thanks guys... Got all installed and just need a DVI cable to run both my monitors.. Had a few problems getting the internet up and running but worked out those problems too!!
    I love the screen, it's awesome!!

One quick question, the image is wide, however, the "sides" of each picture don't stop inside the frame .. (ie when looking a pokerforum, i don't see the left and right side of the pokerforum edges... how do I fix this so all shows up on monitor?????)

your help is appreciated.. i may have to go all in blind 4 times this friday as a sign of my appreciation..

Thanks
    Cory
  • folded wrote: »
    your help is appreciated.. i may have to go all in blind 4 times this friday as a sign of my appreciation..

Thanks
    Cory
    Like whether or not you got help here would have any baring on you going allin blind...... :biggrin:
  • If you are on VGA then there should be an autoadjust button somewhere on your monitor that will reset the image to match exactly. On DVI for some reason this feature is disabled. Some other guru will know why.
  • Man that Matrox thingy is friggin cool. Always did like Matrox cards.