Rama 2-5.

How would you handle a game like this, where the big bets on the turn and river are more than double the small bets?

Is there a change in strategy as far as preflop card selection goes? Can you afford to see more flops and turns than usual, and would be more likely to let a marginal drawing hand go at the turn?

Comments

• Yeah, I think you could play a little looser because of the slightly higher implied odds. Another adjustment would be tightening up in the small blind.
  • Yeah, I think you could play a little looser because of the slightly higher implied odds. Another adjustment would be tightening up in the small blind.

These two points are contradictory. The usual reason to play looser or tigher in the small blind is the size of the small blind relative to the big blind.

The most dramatic example of this is 3-6. If the small blind is $1 I'll play *very* tightly on the small blind, and if the small blind is $2 I'll call $1 more with any two cards.

If you decide to play looser than normal pre-flop, you should play looser than normal in the small blind also.

IMO, the difference between 2-4 and 2-5 is so small I don't think significant startegy adjustments to a good 2-4 strategy would be necessary.

ScottyZ
  • My mistake, For some reason I was thinking the blinds were 2/5 so that's why i said to play tighter from the SB.
  • Oh, I see. That's right if those (2 & 5) are the blinds of course. If the blinds are 2 & 5 (say in a 5-10 game) you should play slightly tighter then usual. (Although "default" strategy is for the blind being $2.50... a pretty small adjustment if the small blind is $2.00.)

I'm not actually sure what the blinds are myself. Are the 2-5 blinds 1 & 2 at Rama?

ScottyZ
  • Yes, the 2/5 blinds are 1 and 2 at Rama.
  • Anyone play this during weekedays or even weeknights? Is it fish/tourists or regulars with some savvy?
  • (Petro-Canada, Mac's Milk, Tim Horton's, etc)

I doubt that an American company (can you spot which one?) would be too interested in supporting the Canadian Olympic movement.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I doubt that an American company (can you spot which one?) would be too interested in supporting the Canadian Olympic movement.

ScottyZ

a little bit off-topic??? :D
  • Gide wrote:
    a little bit off-topic??? :D

It sure was.

WHAT DA?!

I've had a couple of double posting problems so far today, but I've never seen a post go "off-thread" like this before...

First time I've replied to a thread *before* even viewing it that day. :)

ScottyZ
  • micr0be wrote:
    Anyone play this during weekedays or even weeknights? Is it fish/tourists or regulars with some savvy?

I've played on a few Fridays nights, you get some good players and then you get calling stations that will call to the turn regardless of the bets.

I found most people will stay until the turn and then will try to check all the way to the river hoping for miracle cards. You can use this against people if you do it right. ($2 is alright, $5 is too rich for them)

Also I would suggest that if you are thinking about playing a hand then raise it, because most people have no problem paying the $2 to see the flop but then get nervous about $4.

An example of a hand:
    I was dealt QQ on the BB. Lots of callers (about 6) when it came to me I raised.

About 1/2 the people then called my raise (3in the hand).

Flop comes out and it is 10,10,2. I was UTG so I check, next person bets, next calls so I raise. (Figuring if they have a 10 they would re-raise) first player folds, second calls.

Next card comes out and it's 5. I (as fast as humanly possible) bet, the player then immediately folders.

I have done that a few times not too often but when the calling stations are in and you have a hand you have to make them pay.
  • You are saving 25% on your investment in the initial betting rounds for drawing hands, and your typical opponents will not play the turn and river any differently, so I believe drawing hands are more valuable at this game. The implied odds are higher. I can only compare my play at 2/5 to 5/10, which is not completely fair since there are some small differences in the skill level there, but overall I will play more drawing hands at 2/5 and it has worked out very well for me.

As a specific example, low pocket pairs in early position are much better hands at 2/5 than at 5/10. If your hand plays well against a lot of players, you can almost count on seeing a cheap flop with a lot of players most of the time. Even if it's raised behind you, it likely won't have a big effect on the number of players calling to see the flop in this type of game (this factor is more about the looseness of the players at 2/5 compared to 5/10 I think) . No matter what pair you play from early position, you will likely have more than enough callers to make it worthwhile, and the players at this game will pay you off very handsomely if you make a set.

If you make a flush on the turn you will typically still get paid off there and on the river (especially if a 4th suited card does not come up), often by several players, and with the lower initial investment in the pot to see the flop and turn cards, this is a game wither high implied odds for drawing hands. Sets are even better, because the players at this level often have trouble recognizing this hand.

So I say that yes, the structure along with the looseness of the play in this game, means that drawing hands are more profitable.
  • Along the lines of what Chris El said, players at Rama 2/5 are very likely to fold on the turn or river if they don't hit anything because of the higher betting amounts, and because many have limped in with garbage hands. But the exception to this is that will pay you off when they hit something (top pair, two pair, sometimes even middle or low pair) and don't see the danger of your hand (especially if you flop a set).
  • Who here consistenly wins playing this limit?
    I find it very hard, I always encounter calling stations and get rivered. Also, I find that ppl play anything connecting and anything suited. Pre-flop with 6-8 players entering, its really just like playing BINGO, no matter if your holding AA or 38. If your lucky, you win. I hate playing 2-5!!!
  • jTizzy wrote:
    Who here consistenly wins playing this limit?
    I find it very hard, I always encounter calling stations and get rivered. Also, I find that ppl play anything connecting and anything suited. Pre-flop with 6-8 players entering, its really just like playing BINGO, no matter if your holding AA or 38. If your lucky, you win. I hate playing 2-5!!!
    I usually make money playing low limit. You just have to play a very tight game and always raise, raise and raise when you have Monster hands. You may not play a lot of hands but when you do and win they are usually huge.
  • I did not play enough times to say that my results were sustainable over the long term, but I have been able to win at this level over several consecutive trips. It's a lot like playing .10/.20 online. You have to understand how to win in a loose game, which is completely different than playing against tight aggressive opponents.

Yes, your aces will get cracked more often in this type of game, but you will win WAY more money when they hold up, more than enough to compensate for the times they get cracked, and it will be a lot easier to recognize when you need to fold this type of hand. I drool over the thought of someone calling my preflop raise with 38 when I hold AA!
  • jTizzy wrote:
    Who here consistenly wins playing this limit?

The calling stations and more generally people playing badly makes the game easy.

The high rake, and the fact that many (otherwise good) players don't know how to play well in this kind of game makes the game hard.

ScottyZ
  • Say you are in late position or in the small blind and EVERYBODY has limped in. Then you are getting 9 or 10 to one on your money. Why not go in with 72o or ANY hand; the implied odds are even better, as your hand is "camoflauged"(I mean few would believe you're playing 72o) and especially because when the flop hits you once in a while, you will get paid off huge.

Probably bad advice, but it seem many low limit players play that way....
  • You can certainly loosen up a lot in late position with many players in, and if you expect to get in for only one bet. However, you still need to use your head.

You can play more drawing hands, but you want to stay away from "dangerous" drawing hands. Q4s and 85s are out, mostly because you can hit your hand and lose a lot of chips. This is actually a great demonstration of *reverse* implied odds working against you, since you will be often be paying off your opponents' implied odds hands (namely, their higher flushes) when you have these kinds of holdings.

Hands with limited or no drawing potential and no high card strength like 72o and KTo are out.

I would certainly take a flop in the situation you described with 22 or A3s. The key idea is you want to be drawing at a *very* big hand, ideally the nuts.

And one thing is for sure. Playing like everyone else does will not get you the money in low-limit. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • Probably bad advice, but it seem many low limit players play that way....

...and these are the guys who lose money. Better yet, these are the guys who lose money TO YOU if you play a better game.

Read Lee Jones book, play a session, and then reread the book a little more slowly, taking into account what you have learned in your first session. I can almost guarantee you will notice a big difference when you go back to play the next session.
  • Thanks guys, I understand what you guys are saying, i guess its just a run of bad cards lately. Its just really frustrating. :banghead:
  • You have to stay pretty tight in this game because of the rake and the looseness. I will play any pocket pair, because the payoff could be monster hitting the set. But that doesnt mean I will play 78s UTG.

The point is to win BIG hands not lots of hands....or else the rake will eat you.
  • The Rama 2/5 is ridiculously soft. Do not be afraid to value bet! I chickened out thinking a pair of 9s in a 6-way pot, semi-coordinated board, no way that could win, and I missed lots of bets on the river because I let it check through...
  • My last trip to Rama was a nightmare. Three hours, one hand won (and as above is was checking down 66 to the river with 5 callers and 3 overcards. A 6 came on the river, I bet and everyone folded), I had extremely cold cards. I was very tempted to join the calling stations when I folded 72o and it turned a boat while my folded 53o flopped a straight.

The first pot I was involved with was one where I held AQo in mid position and raise a bunch of caller and the flop came Q75 rainbow. I missed seeing the straight draw, and with all the betting and raising, I was finally beat out of the $80 pot by a rivered straight.

I do agree through that it's a very soft game. (I find it slightly softer that Brantford's 2-5 game) I believe the reason for this is that we have a lot of good University students in the area and the lowest limit they can afford is 2-5, so depending on the time you get some decent players at the table.

I would even hazzard a guess that Brantford's 5-10 is softer than the 2-5.
  • I would even hazzard a guess that Brantford's 5-10 is softer than the 2-5.

I think that's a reasonable guess actually. A simple reason: impatience.

Generally, impatient people make poor poker players.

The last couple of times I've been at Brantford, they have had 1 table of 2-5 going, and maybe 3 or 4 tables of 5-10. So, for the 2-5 game you'll be getting a lot of players who are perfectly willing to wait for several hours on the waiting list before getting into the game. Under normal conditions, you can usually get a 5-10 seat in under an hour. Which game will the impatient people prefer?

I totally agree with Zithal's point too about some specific sub-groups of players (like students) being better than average at the stakes they're playing; but having a restricted bankroll, they choose to not move up in limits. (The fact that someone would intelligently consider bankroll limitations is also likely to be positively correlated with their general poker skill.)

ScottyZ