New TV suggestions

My parents are looking to buy a new TV and surround sound system for one of the rooms. They don't want an overly large TV so it should be under 40" and wall mounted.

With that in mind, what is the best route to go nowadays? Plasma or LCD or what?

Has anyone purchased a TV recently they can recommend?

Comments

• If you check the latest issue of "Consumer Reports" plenty of good advice/recommendations in there. magazine should be at your local library too.
    CTV news( TO) last week quoted from this report too..
  • i bought my TV (42 inch LCD) from gibson sound and vision (on columbia and weber) and i wouldnt' buy a tv from anywhere else. They showed up at my house 4 hours after i bought it (i live in guelph), took my old tv to it's new home, brought the new tv in, set it up for me and gave us a new bowl and box of popcorn. They also beat futureshops' price by about 10 %.
    The only thing i heard that would possiably make me reconsider is the quality of the magnovox plasma screen (gibson is mostly higher end tvs...magnovox is a futureshop brand).

Uhh..not sure if this helped, but i would highly recomend going into gibson and hearing what the people have to say...and just as a quick heads up the wall mounting for a 32inch + is typically 300 and up (depending on the size of the tv etc...)
  • It really depends on the lighting conditions in the room you plan to put it in, if you are going big, this is the single biggest differentiator between the quality you will experience. Also you typically cannot get a Plasma TV smaller than 42 inches.