Cell number portability

A friend reminded me the other day of this.
If your contract is up, don't sign another till after March 17, 2007

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/NEWS/RELEASES/2005/r051220.htm

Comments

• Cool thanks for the info.

So Rogers blows, and my contract is up in the spring... who should I go with? For what it's worth, I'm a co-op student for another year or two, so I move a lot.

/g2
  • I'm leaning towards Telus cause I like their data plans
  • I switched my company from Rogers to Telus, approx 25 devices and am saving $1200 a month...and users have noticed that they are getting reception in areas they would normally drop with Rogers. You're right Hobbes, rogers blows, hard! I hear Bell has horrible coverage but honestly I think the big 3 are almost identical in coverage but with the Telus 'pooling' plans you can save a ton!
  • Ok now this is when you know you got too "into your job".

After 7 years at a telecommunications device maker I learned a lot more then I ever wanted to about Cell Phones and Cell phone technology.

When switching consider what is the most important to you... do you want a phone to last for ever on one charge, or do you want to be able to call people from the basement of a parking garage?

If you want innner city coverage, in and out and through buildings go with either a CDMA, or iDEN device (Bell Mobility and Telus) but you sacrifice battery time because of these technologies.

If you want long lasting battery and are willing to for go (or is it fore go) inner building reception etc. Then get a GPRS device (Rogers is the main one).

Last thing to consider is how much traveling you're going to be doing outside of Canada and what you want to happen with your Phone. GPRS devices are fantastic for travellers..CDMA and iDEN not so good. For instance a friend of mine switched from Rogers to Bell and then went down to Washington DC (you'd think the Carriers would cover that city for Canadian business travellers) Bell had recently changed the partners that they use in Washington and this guys device wasn't programmed (and couldn't be remotely) to accept the changes that Bell had made. So he went a week without a cell phone. GPRS systems are much better at switching to other provides, where as CDM and iDEN have to be very specific.

ok, enough rambling, hope it helped.

atm_gp
  • Indeed. Thanks Graham.

/g2
  • Yeah telus is the best way to go. Never have a problem getting signal. Even when 85 miles offshore fishing.Although I can't say I've ever tried rogers.
  • be careful when calling from off shore...My brother use to have long distance calls from Collingwood to Midland because his phone would pick up a base in Collingwood instead of a local base :)

Why the heck would you be calling, if you're out fishing...I thought fishing was just an excuse to drink?
  • They were asking for someone to bring them out some more beer...