FT advice

I'm having a really great MTT run in the last couple months, (excluding the forum games- I can't beat you bloody sharks!) I've final tabled almost all of my tournaments live and online and I've been running well.

The problem is that I'm not a closer, I've actually taken first or second very few times despite having some sick chip leads. (my fav.- last week 5 handed and I've got more than my four opponents combined) For the most part I feel like I'm taking some nasty beats when my opponent get fed up with my bullying and play back their sub-standard hands vs. my monsters, and I've made a few mistakes *COUGH (jj at westside) COUGH*

I'm wondering what PROACTIVE methods you might use to assess this stage of play? I hate the idea of chalking up to variance and bad luck, without exploring ways to improve.

-Do you tone down your aggression as chipleader and coast to the top spots on monster fumes, or do you continue steam-rollering them?

-How do you adjust your starting hand req's for the various stages of shorthanded play...ie: 7 handed will be a lot tighter than 3 handed. Any resource recommendations (books etc.) to step up my SH game?

-any other advice for ft play?

If stakes help to make an assessment- I'm predominately playing the middle tournaments- $10-$20 double rebuy on APlady and freezeouts over $30 but under $150.

Comments

• Final Table? What's a Final Table??
  • This is a great question!

A few things I think about when your stack is HUGE:

- I pick on the medium stacks more than the shorties. Many of the mediums will wait for the shorties to bust and they don't want to fight with you when someone else only has 4 BB left. When you have a real short stack at the table you can really abuse this situation, the medium stacks need a really good hand to get involved!

- raise almost every unopened pot when it gets to you. Put the heat on them! Be willing to fold when they push back, unless you are priced in!

- It is not your job to bust everyone. Don't be afraid to let the short stacks fight it out!

Caddy
  • Try playing a bunch of sit and gos. Although they're not exactly the same as a FT, they will give you experience playing with different numbers of players.

Ryan