well, it's gotta happen every few years, right?

Full Tilt Poker Game #1403104857: Table Morgan (6 max) - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 14:55:04 ET - 2006/12/13
Seat 1: Jeffmet3 ($100)
Seat 2: cadair84 ($55.25)
Seat 3: Brode ($101.50)
Seat 4: DonkDollars ($197)
Seat 5: kanadian ($119.70)
Seat 6: bootas ($99.60)
bootas posts the small blind of $0.50
Jeffmet3 has 5 seconds left to act
Jeffmet3 posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kanadian [Tc Jc]
cadair84 folds
Brode folds
DonkDollars folds
kanadian calls $1
bootas calls $0.50
Jeffmet3 checks
*** FLOP *** [Qh Qc 8c]
bootas checks
Jeffmet3 bets $1
kanadian calls $1
bootas calls $1
*** TURN *** [Qh Qc 8c] [9c]
bootas checks
Jeffmet3 checks
kanadian checks
*** RIVER *** [Qh Qc 8c 9c] [9s]
bootas checks
Jeffmet3 checks
kanadian bets $6
bootas raises to $16
Jeffmet3 folds
kanadian raises to $117.70, and is all in
bootas calls $81.60, and is all in
Uncalled bet of $20.10 returned to kanadian
*** SHOW DOWN ***
kanadian shows [Tc Jc] (a straight flush, Queen high)
bootas mucks
kanadian wins the pot ($198.20) with a straight flush, Queen high
bootas is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $201.20 | Rake $3
Board: [Qh Qc 8c 9c 9s]
Seat 1: Jeffmet3 (big blind) folded on the River
Seat 2: cadair84 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: Brode didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: DonkDollars didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: kanadian (button) showed [Tc Jc] and won ($198.20) with a straight flush, Queen high
Seat 6: bootas (small blind) mucked [Qs 5h] - a full house, Queens full of Nines

Full Tilt Poker Game #1403109799: Table Mo

Comments

• VERY nice hand Sloth.

Had the same hand on Supreme the other night, my first ever straight flush! Mind you, it was low limit, so my pot wasn't near as nice as yours.

But nice to see it happens once in awhile. ;)
  • Nice hand!

I'm really starting to like Supreme. Most of the players are just terrible.
  • Very nice Sloth.

I love the players on Supreme too.
  • I love hands like that and I love your last raise which I call the sucker bet since all the guy who calls it can do is pray to chop the pot at best. It is actually a reasonably easy fold for the opponent, but many cannot - hence the sucker aspect of the bet.

Well done.
  • nh Sloth, been a while since I've had one of those...although I'm playing tonight, so maybe I'm due ;)
    Monteroy wrote: »
    I love hands like that and I love your last raise which I call the sucker bet since all the guy who calls it can do is pray to chop the pot at best. It is actually a reasonably easy fold for the opponent, but many cannot - hence the sucker aspect of the bet.

Well done.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but he has to call $80 more into a pot of $40 (so $80 to get $20 more back on the chop). He is only losing to 99 and JTc but chops with any Q since the board is double paired. How is this an easy fold? Unless you missed seeing the board 2 pair I would say a fold here is like giving away $20. I'll agree the reraise AI is a full house or better, but I can't see any reason why it would have to be quads or the SF.
  • The board is one of those where as good a hand as the villian has, he really cannot win anything extra by raising (unless opponent is a very bad player and will lead bet/call a raise on that board with bottom boat).

Calling the $6 bet on river - sure. Raising though opens up the possibility that you will get reraised all in and again the best you can do is pray for a chop. His raise of the $6 bet set himself up for the sucker bet play.

Granted the SF/quads is rare, but why even get yourself in that mess on such a simple board. It happens even when the board is something like KJJ88 and a guy with a random jack raises/reraises and loses everything to someone holding KJ for a better boat.

I still think it is not that hard a fold, but frankly the guy made a huge mistake even getting in that situation. On that board simply call the $6 bet with the Q and laugh when you do not chop. If you have lower quads and the other guy has a SF you should lose your whole stack. In this case the villian shouldnt have reraised and thus risked his entire stack for what was about a $4 pot before it went to the river.

The recent James Bond film featured a hand like this as well and it kind of annoyed me for the same reason :)
  • I was thinking the same as you during the hand Monteroy. When I bet the $6 on the river I was simply praying that he was slow playing a Q and for some reason had me pegged as playing a weaker fullhouse or maybe the nut flush.