Brantford 5-10 Hand question- pot odds?

This is the first time ive posted a hand on this forum, so it may be a little ghetto...

I was playing 5-10 limit several weeks ago at BCC... i looked down at QQ... very nice. The guy on my right was UTG, he limped, and i raised. I think it ended up being capped preflop, so it was a big pot before the flop came out. It looked something like...
Jh 6h X
I dont exactly remember what was on the flop, but there were 2 hearts and the highest card was lower than my QQ. I bet out on the flop and pretty much everyone called me. The turn card was the 2 of hearts... the guy on my right bet out and i folded almost (i unfortunately had the two black queens) immediately, figuring that even if he doesnt have the flush... it is limit poker... someone ALWAYS has the flush. Buddy on my right got raised by some old dude, so he re-raised. The river card was another heart, which made me feel better that i had lost the minimum. The guy on my right calls old guys bet on the river... he turns over 22(trips on the turn) and the old guy turns over a king high flush (made on the turn). I couldnt resist mentioning to the guy on my right that he called my bet to hit trip 2's... which is a very loose call. He became excited and began defending himself and said something like "well its 11% chance to hit, and i was getting the proper odds." I responded that that was incorrect, he became very defensive. Im pretty new to calculating odds, but his odds ofhitting are ~4-5% right? The number he was using was just what is displayed on tv when its pair vs. pair. This guy is a regular at BCC, i just want to confirm that ppl are calculating odds incorrectly because of tv. Another thing which is interesting is that he only had 1 out, because a heart would make someone a flush... so he was calling for a 1-outer. It doesnt get much worse than that... tho this was limit at Brantford

Comments

• i agree with what you said but all i got tosay is. its limit at brantford. everyone is trying to hit a straight or a fluch because they know they dont have to invest that much to see another card.
  • mlipton wrote: »
    Im pretty new to calculating odds, but his odds ofhitting are ~4-5% right? The number he was using was just what is displayed on tv when its pair vs. pair. This guy is a regular at BCC, i just want to confirm that ppl are calculating odds incorrectly because of tv. Another thing which is interesting is that he only had 1 out, because a heart would make someone a flush... so he was calling for a 1-outer. It doesnt get much worse than that... tho this was limit at Brantford

With 2 cards to come, it's 8% to hit your set. With the 2 hearts out at Brantdord 5/10 (I played em cause they were soooooted), I'd definitely not include the 2h so you were right in the 4-5% range. All this guy thought was I need a 2.

To actually know if he was right to call you need some more details as to how many stayed in, flolded etc to calc pot size.
  • But if it is 8% to hit by the turn or river, he should be basing his decision on his odds of hitting on the turn card alone right?(so it would only be 4%) Since he is only paying to see the turn at the moment, he would have to pay again to see the river. The pot was probably less than a hundred dollars on the flop, definetely not enough to justify trying to hit a 1-outer. I see this guy there every time, he is what i call a "professional loser"
  • mlipton wrote: »
    But if it is 8% to hit by the turn or river, he should be basing his decision on his odds of hitting on the turn card alone right?(so it would only be 4%) Since he is only paying to see the turn at the moment, he would have to pay again to see the river. The pot was probably less than a hundred dollars on the flop, definetely not enough to justify trying to hit a 1-outer. I see this guy there every time, he is what i call a "professional loser"
    Didn't you see the sign at the door? Please don't tap the glass.

/g2
  • Don't waste time or energy trying to explain pot odds, tell people they made a bad play, or educate them in anyway....you do not want these players to improve and they don't want to hear that they made a mistake, it's embarassing and they'll justify it somehow anyways. Make mental notes and punish these donks for making these plays. Nice fold.
  • Big E is right. Let them make their mistakes. Why do you want to educate your opponents? You were probably steaming a bit since the flush hit, don't let it get to you. You made the right fold at the right time. Let the guy next to you think he was right. Maybe next time you'll rake the big pot in.
  • Don't tap the glass...you're scare away the fish
  • Don't tap the glass...you're scare away the fish

I think you mean "Please don't tap the aquarium".

Nice fold.
  • Your attitude tells me that you pretty bad at poker. The pot is huge, factor in implied odds and I'll peel one off on the flop too. If you really want to go so far to critique players then make sure you tell the story the way it really happens. Forgetting minor details like the pre-flop action and just how many bets are in the pot turn this into a pathetic attempt at a bad beat story with a sprinkle of "I'm smarter than these guys, why can't I ever win?".

Don't even get me started on the idiocy of talkin' odds at the table. If you wanna show off your unbelievably large brain, go join Mensa.

BTW, You are going to lose a lot to the flush bluffing machines at Brantford.
  • The pot is huge, factor in implied odds and I'll peel one off on the flop too.

I probably wouldn't in this particular pot (due to the fact one of our outs is somewhat tainted, but moreso because there's just too many people to act behind us), but you're right that the specific details of how many bets are in the pot is sketchy (was it capped 8 way or 3 way preflop).
    BTW, You are going to lose a lot to the flush bluffing machines at Brantford.

You might be right, but I still might have to fold to a turn donk with no redraws if behind, facing a bet and some unknown number off opponents to act behind me. Closing the action is a much different story though...depending on how big the pot is (which isn't clarified).

Moral of the story is, when posting a hand, details beyond the cards in your hand and on the board matter...especially when the title of the thread relates to pot odds, and the size of the pot isn't specifically mentioned anywhere.
  • This one time in band camp........
    lol, do not educate your opponent. Not even your mother.
    I found out the hard way.