Comments on a micro-limit hand.

This one is for DrTyore, standard micro-limit table...that is loose~passive play....I'm trying to play tight/aggressive.

I was the aggressor in this hand post flop, I believe the only shot I have at wining this hand is a bet on the river...but is this a useless move at these levels?

Game #1808683146 - $0.50/$1 Texas Hold'em - 2006/12/03-12:54:10.4 (CST)
Table "Papeete" (real money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Seat 1: Aragorn_HUN ($21.45 in chips)
Seat 2: spawl ($20.00 in chips)
Seat 3: Big_E_67 ($20.50 in chips)
Seat 4: hofi1978 ($44.40 in chips)
Seat 5: shomedamune ($6.45 in chips)
Seat 6: dukejoker ($31.50 in chips)
Seat 7: JAMMY77 ($32.25 in chips)
Seat 8: acejjj ($32.70 in chips)
Seat 10: Eamnor ($39.65 in chips)
shomedamune: Post Small Blind ($0.25)
dukejoker: Post Big Blind ($0.50)
spawl : Post ($0.50)
Dealing...
Dealt to Big_E_67 [ 7d ]
Dealt to Big_E_67 [ 8d ]
JAMMY77 : Call ($0.50)
acejjj : Call ($0.50)
Eamnor : Fold
Aragorn_HUN: Fold
spawl : Check
Big_E_67: Call ($0.50) with spawl entering the game I'm looking at 5 to the flop so I'll see if I can see a cheap flop with DrTyore's hand
hofi1978: Fold
shomedamune: Call ($0.25)
dukejoker: Check
*** FLOP *** : [ Jd Ac 4d ]
shomedamune: Check
JAMMY77 : Bet ($0.50)
acejjj : Fold
spawl : Fold
Big_E_67: Raise ($1) only on a draw but this table is full of weak players, let's raise it up and see if anyone with an A fights back
shomedamune: Fold
dukejoker: Call ($1) called two bets cold but this player has proved over the last 20 minutes that he is a supreme donkey, could have a 4 could have an A, likely has a draw as well?
JAMMY77 : Call ($0.50)
*** TURN *** : [ Jd Ac 4d ] [ 2s ]
JAMMY77 : Check
Big_E_67: Bet ($1) keep building the pot with my draw while continuing to be the aggressor and representing the A...bad or good?
dukejoker: Call ($1)
JAMMY77 : Call ($1)
*** RIVER *** : [ Jd Ac 4d 2s ] [ As ]
JAMMY77 : Check
Big_E_67: Bet ($1) I think the A is actually a good card for me, missed my draw but have been the aggressor post flop so I know my only chance at taking this down is with a bet?
dukejoker: Fold
JAMMY77 : Fold
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $8.60 | Rake: $0.40
Board: [ Jd Ac 4d 2s As ]
Aragorn_HUN didn't bet (folded)
spawl lost $0.50 (folded)
Big_E_67 bet $3.50, collected $9.60, net +$6.10 (showed hand) [ 7d 8d ] (a
pair of aces) did not want to show this hand, wanted to muck but mis-clicked
hofi1978 didn't bet (folded)
shomedamune lost $0.50 (folded)
dukejoker lost $2.50 (folded)
JAMMY77 lost $2.50 (folded)
acejjj lost $0.50 (folded)
Eamnor didn't bet (folded)

ok play or reckless at these levels?

Comments

• No. you were trying to represent A strong hand and the only way to do that is to the river and you check a card otherwise it would undo your bluss right there. thats my view anyway
  • I think it was a pretty good play, and something you should do more often E... if you recall a certain Royal Cup II hand with your JJ?

Mark
  • I find quite often at this level when the others are simply calling, a bet on the river can take it.

Very Nice.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I think it was a pretty good play, and something you should do more often E... if you recall a certain Royal Cup II hand with your JJ?

Mark

I don't like the flop raise because you are going to face the table with calling two cold.
  • I don't like the flop raise because you are going to face the table with calling two cold.

So you'd rather keep everyone around and keep building the pot...I can understand that and I agree in most cases but in this hand would that not make people more likely to call my river bet? If I'm drawing but wanting to represent the A wouldn't a raise on the flop better represent the A well at the same time letting me know where I stand? If I'm re-raised I probably still call to the river and hope to flush but I think just calling the flop raise does not really define my hand nor setup my river bluff? Also, dukejoker is an absolute fish and calling station so I knew there was a very good chance he was sticking around.
    I think it was a pretty good play, and something you should do more often E... if you recall a certain Royal Cup II hand with your JJ?

Believe it or not Mark, that hand was one of the key mistakes I made that made me try and improve my play and not play so weak/tight, you easily outplayed me there and I thank you for the lesson. I think I have improved in this area and hopefully I can continue improving.
  • I like the flop raise for value/free card (although flat calling is an option since you don't really want to face the table with 2 cold), but I'm usually going to check behind the turn if given the option (especially after getting multiple flop calls). Given that you bet the turn, you pretty much are obligated to bet the river, to force out gutshots like KT and the like that have you beat. You're almost never getting a LP caller to fold a pair though on that river card.
  • Big E wrote: »
    I was the aggressor in this hand post flop, I believe the only shot I have at wining this hand is a bet on the river...but is this a useless move at these levels?
    I think it is a useful move at any level.

/g2
  • I think it is a useful move at any level.

That's debateable. If you're constantly bluffing the river vs. multiple calling station opponents, you're probably going to lose...a lot.
  • ScoobyD wrote: »
    That's debateable. If you're constantly bluffing the river vs. multiple calling station opponents, you're probably going to lose...a lot.
    Agreed. It all depends on your image and the table.

/g2
  • ScoobyD wrote: »

I totally agree, and honestly I do not bluff very often considering I play mainly $0.50/1.00 or $1.00/2.00 limit....I think there are far less opportunities to successfully bluff in limit then there are in NL and even fewer at these low levels that are full of calling stations, but in this hand I thought my only chance to win the pot was a bluff on the river, I fold to a re-raise and muck to a call....It's always nice to see a hand work out the way you'd like it to.