A Neat Story/Puzzle

Some original writing: be kind...

"Looks like the boys were playing short-handed tonite." remarked Williams as he surveyed the room. Bodies lay slumped in their chairs, and in one case, across the green felt of the table.

Surprisingly, there was little blood, only a small pool near one of the victims, which contrasted brightly with the grey-blue carpet. Francis looked over the table. Chips were still neatly stacked, the table looked erily intact for all the carnage surronding it.

The senior partner turned over Chan's cards which were tossed close to the board, "Looks like he was slow playing the straight." Francis tossed the 6 and 7 of clubs into the center of the table next to the 4 cards already face up. "That'll get you into trouble sometimes."

Williams pulled Brunson's body off the table, his cards falling to the carpet as his body fell back into his chair. Williams picked them up and place them on the table. "Ace, King of hearts! Nice hand!"

"Don't get too excited yet, Jim." Francis reminded him. Francis walked over to Ivey's place at the table. "Pocket jacks! The plot thickens."

Williams turned to the last body. "Who's this guy... I don't recognize him"

"That's Varkoni. Let me guess..." Francis flips 2 cards over. "Yep, queen-ten... suited even! It's starting to make sense now!"

Williams just looked his partner. "What do mean, makes sense? What happened? Don't tell me you know what happened?"

Francis picked up the deck and started counting. "Yeah, there's only 34 left. There's the three burn cards right there beside the board. Our killer took the river and his own hand with him when he left."

Williams was amazed. "You got it all figured out, don't you Bob?"

"Sure. Here's how it went down. Varkoni bets out on the river. Ivey raises 'cause he's made his boat! Next, Chan folds. You can't slow play those straights all the time big guy! Now Doyle here, he probably calls, even thou he knows he's beat. Our dealer-slash-killer puts in another raise, because he thinks it's all his. And then it happens... Varkoni caps it! This is where our killer loses it. He pulls out his little snub-nose twenty-two and starts firing. Varkoni gets it first, of course, but the rest get one as well, so as there are no witnesses."

Jim Williams looked at the center of the table. "Nine of clubs, five, eight and jack of hearts. I still don't get it."

Bob Francis just patted his partner on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it... just put out the APB. Hellmuth, Phil Helmuth... and he'll have 3 of a kind on him. I always thought he was wound too tight!"

"What was the river card?"

Comments

• River is the 9 of Hearts. With Varkoni's Straight Flush knocking off Phil's Quad 9's

First card shoulda been the 9 of diamonds though since Phil should be holding the Black 9's :)
  • LOL...good post...but I'm like wait how can Phil have his black 9's with one on the board... :D
  • Just put the 9:diamond: on board instead, and Phil ends up having his exact favorites in the hole. ;)

ScottyZ
  • LMAO, good one!!
  • To be honest, I don't really put Phil H on shooting someone...

However, this kind of situation coming up in a hand *could* very well lead to him strutting around of some poker TV show, taking off his shirt, meditiating, drooling toothpaste on himself while brushing his teeth, and posting motivational messages in scribbly handwriting.

Run for the hills.

ScottyZ
  • shouldnt doyle have had 10-2!

lol,

great post!