2/5 Hand from BCC

Went to Branford for some Donkey Bingo last night. Was card dead most of the night util this hand. I think that I played it ok except for the river. Anyways this is from memory:

LP dealt AA (yeeee haaaa) finally a hand. :D
Gets capped preflop with 5 players seeing a flop. (Don't like this) Guess nobody noticed that I'd been folding for the past 45 minutes.
Pot is $40 and I'm thinking I'll need to see this to the river cause the pot is just too big now....:(

Flop is Q T 5 rainbow.
Check-Bet and I raise. 3 callers. Pot is now $56 and I'm a bit worried here that someone hit 2pr (or maybe a set) but I decide that with this table I'd have been popped in which case I go into check call mode.

Turn is a 8 putting a flush draw and a possible str8 on board but I don't think (really I don't hope) someone is willing to cap holding J9 preflop.
Check-Bet and I raise again. 2 callers so it's 3 to the river and the pot is now $86.

River is a 9. If someone has a Jack I'm screwed.
Check-check-check.
I say..ok lets see the Jack.
My Aces hold up to Qx and Tx.

My Q's:

Was the raise good on the turn? If I get popped then I'm probably done with the hand at this point.
I think the check on the river was ok since I'd probably only get called with someone holding a J.

BTW this was the only hand that I won in 2hrs and one of 3 hands that I entered the pot voluntarily.

Comments

• if you were last to act, and it went Check, Check...you should have stuck $5 dollars in there on the river. Perhaps represent the J, if you get check raised then at least you know someone has a J and pay them off. But the sounds of things looks like you were going all the way with this hand regardless, why not squeeze an extra $5 dollars out of your donk's right?

U played it great, glad to see AA hold up to a cap preflop!
  • I was second to act on the river.
  • I would've tossed a 5er on the table on the river. The Qx was going to pay you off for sure, maybe the 10x too.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Turn is a 8 putting a flush draw and a possible str8 on board but I don't think (really I don't hope) someone is willing to cap holding J9 preflop.
    Check-Bet and I raise again. 2 callers so it's 3 to the river and the pot is now $86.

BTW don't ever consider that someone wouldn't be willing to cap preflop with J9. I watch a guy at Rama play every pot (almost) call every raise. When I raised to $15 with my AA (there was 3 limpers plus the blinds) in 1/2 he called (he originally limped) with 8 4 off. I paid him off on a 5 6 7 with 2 hearts on board. Just because YOU won't call with that doesn't mean the donks that go to play (they go to PLAY) won't.

Good going on getting your AA to hold up, and I probably throw the $5 out on the river.
  • Well done. Good hand. Value bet the river.
  • BLAH Don't assume someone hit two pair on the flop.

The rest is fine. Most J's on the river will try to checkraise the aggressor so I like checking.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Most J's on the river will try to checkraise the aggressor so I like checking.

Agreed. A bet here would put a raise option on the river if there was a J out there, and you're committed to it imho.
  • djalikool wrote: »
    if you were last to act, and it went Check, Check...you should have stuck $5 dollars in there on the river. Perhaps represent the J, if you get check raised then at least you know someone has a J and pay them off. But the sounds of things looks like you were going all the way with this hand regardless, why not squeeze an extra $5 dollars out of your donk's right?

U played it great, glad to see AA hold up to a cap preflop!

Why would you make a bet on the river that is only going to be called by a hand that beats you?

If this is a limit game then that move might be ok but I think is still debatable, I think checking the river is better but if this is a NL game then I think throwing a bet out is a mistake.

He's been raising the whole way, if I'm on a J I'm check-raising his ass.

I think you played it fine Hobbes.
  • Checking the river is the smart play. For all the reasons stated above. If you bet and got raised, what do you do then? Make a crying call knowing you're losing to the J.
    Looking at the results, yes a bet would have probably not have been called. However, this isn't about result orientated thinking. You felt you were beat, why bet at it? Bluffs on the river rarely work in low limt poker. Especially at Brantford.
  • For all the reasons stated above. If you bet and got raised, what do you do then? Make a crying call knowing you're losing to the J.

I agree with the river check. I think it gives you the option of folding to the CR if it goes bet, CR behind you. Too often I find bet/folding to be a tough line to take (even if you had good intentions) because of the ridiculous odds your getting on the 2nd call. NH.