Online pokers dark side. A true story. Part 1

Online pokers dark side (A true story)

This story can happen to you. I know as it happened to me.

I had recently returned from a six month hiatus away from online poker. I had been on a real long losing steak; you know the kind that you think will never end. Well I decided to be the one who would put a stop to the losing and deleted all of poker sites on desk top. I even went so far as to stop watching and playing poker away from my computer.

I started playing again when using the bathroom over at a friend’s house. He had a hand held poker game sitting on the vanity and I couldn’t resist. That night I downloaded the forum that I had frequented and found that they would be holding a game that night. To my surprise I was allowed to register into the game after six months away. Once again I was hooked on online poker.

After the normal niceties with the members and a search of the calendar I found that a $100 freeroll for members was scheduled at a new site. I downloaded the site, played and came in first and pocketed $30.00 for my efforts. The site it turns out was less than a year old from what I heard. The number of players on the site at any given time was always low less than 300. I had never played on a site with less than 1500 to 15000 players before this site.

With $30 in hand and vary few sites downloaded I decided to call this site home, for now. I turned that $30 into $70 and that into over $300 in less than a month mostly in S&G 10 player games when I had the time to play. I noticed that they had a game that would be broadcast live on the radio. I knew I had to give this a try. You see I’m a sucker for a chance to impress and the thought of playing live over the airwaves turned up my testosterone to a high boil.

I downloaded the software so I could listen to the show, but was unable too until I paid to play in their game. So I paid and that Friday I set my self up in front of my monitor raring to get started. Well I was one of the first players knocked out. I listened to the broadcast and found it quite enjoyable. The music was loud and hard just how I like it. The commentators had easy to listen to voices and the female had a bit of an accent that reminded me of a teacher I had in grades school. The game and the broadcast had about a 40 second delay. This made it hard to watch and listen too and I thought if I found it hard now it would be maddening if they were doing my table as I playing at. So I decided that if I was playing I would not listen to the radio.

Two days later I once again found myself sitting in front of my monitor awaiting the start of the $5.50 buy in, to be broadcast live to the masses. This time I played and listen to my favorite tunes. A wide selection of old and new tunes that makes my heart bop to a poker beat. My Saturday afternoon poker list of cuts runs for over 4 hours and 16 minuets with a wide range of artist. It starts with Audio slave and ends with some Zeppelin. More than enough music to keep me bopping throughout any 100 plus player tournament. Well my music kept me totally focused on the game at hand as I went on to finish first and collocated over $100 dollars for a two plus hour investment.

After the game I tuned into the radio station and heard that a big game would be taking place next weekend. The game was called The Bloody Battle #3 a game that a member of the radio stations team had won the two prior times. Well that seem to me to be a challenge thrown out to the listening audience. I took it as a personal invitation to play. I wanted to become the Bloody battle champion and the fist non-team member to hold the title. I made it my goal.

The week leading up to the BB3 I used to practice a few things that I was thinking about for sometime. I believe that the only thing a player can control is their own actions and maybe the actions of the other players. What I mean to say is what the other players think of your playing. When you’re seen as a book smart player other players change their game when playing you. The newbie or lose player is played differently from the book smart player. I always found it harder to play the newbie than the book player. Not that the newbie is better just harder to read and that is the advantage I wanted. I tried a few things that week and found one that work real well against both newbie’s and book players. It’s quite simple to play and very unpredictable and if played right you can build a chip stack to an unbelievable size very quickly or be the first on the rail. Okay it’s like any system out there, but I did win more than I lost that week.

That Friday I decided to try out my system against more or less the same players that would be in BB3. Well this time I was handed my hat and sent to the rail in a blink of an eye. All I could do was laugh and rethink what now seemed like a dumb ass strategy. I decided to watch the tournament and learn as much as I could about my adversaries and with any luck pick up some betting patterns and take some notes on how they play. I was grabbing at any chance to get an advantage going into the BB3 as I wanted the title of Bloody Battle #3 champion real bad, it has a nice ring to it don’t you think.

Well on the day of the battle I was informed that I would have to pick up my wife from work an hour into the game. This wouldn’t be a problem if my strategy holds up to the good side or to the bad side. I hope to find myself on the good side with a nice size stack and if I land on the bad side, I’m out on the first hand or within the fist hour.

As the game played I found myself playing a totally different game than I had planned to play. I was playing a tight aggressive style and wasn’t picking up any big pots. I found myself playing to stay and not playing to win. My mind set had to change and fast as the blinds were going up at an alarming rate and I was down to 25 minutes to wife pick up time. I shifted gears and started playing the game I had intended on playing with incredible results right off the bat. The first hand I was in after deciding to shift gears I double up. I think I forgot to mention that this was a bounty game with half of each player’s registration fee of $10 going on their heads. So with my first bounty in the bank and only needing a second to break even I went for it. A couple of hands later I won my second and third bounties and had jumped into the top third of the standings.

With that win I had taken out a sore loser and this player started attacking me with her/his verbal diarrhea. I noticed but paid no attention to it as I was on a mission and this poor excuse for a poker player wasn’t going to deter me from my goal. I can honestly look you in the eye and say I never go on tilt. Tilt is a cancer and should be banished from every poker player’s game as it doesn’t do any player any good. Well I played to the break with this player following me from table to table as I was moved. Other players had more of a problem with the constant badgering that was filling the chat box than I was. At the break I informed the table of my pending dilemma of needing to go get my wife. I told them that if I wanted sex that night I had to go pick up my wife. At the break I was up to 24000 chips and sitting in the top 15.

My wife works about a 5 minuet drive away from our house so if I hit all the lights and she is waiting like I begged her to be I would miss out on at most 10 minuets of the game. Well that wasn’t to be as she had to do some shopping for that nights dinner. Being a family guy I wasn’t about to make a big deal over a poker game no matter how much I wanted to win. I told my better half after a twenty minuet wait what was in store for me upon are return home and she was intrigued at my account of what was happening. When I got home I was down to a little over 10000 chips. I had lost more than half my stack and if that wasn’t bad enough guess who was waiting for me to return, that’s right the president of my newly formed fan club.

To be continued......

Comments

• Interesting story. Your cut and paste skills are second to none. I couldn't help but notice, you even cut and paste your introduction in another post.

That's gotta be a first.