Tips for bad stretches

Hey Guys,

I am sure you have all gone through rough stretches and I just wanted to get your feedback on how you deal with this. For the last week or so it seems every time I get all my chips in with the best of it I am being outdrawn. I know if I keep playing the way I have been I will start to catch cards but I just want any tips you guys have...

Thanks

Comments

• If you get to the point where you are expecting to be drawn out on - then take a break.
  • Yes, we've all been there. However, the paraphrase Dave Scharf: "You're worst run has yet too come!" So don't feel so bad.

When things go south, try another game. Play lower limits PLO, Stud, Horse, whatever. I'm always amazed at how 7SC can revive my faith in online poker.

However, if you're really down on the game, then shut it down for awhile. Take a week off, read another book then get back in the saddle.

Johnnie
  • KEEP PLAYING!

Seriously, keep playing and playing and playing.
    As long as you are playing smart poker still.
  • I yell at the computer and whine until my wife gets upset with me, then I try to win it back. I quit when I play badly, not when I lose. However, if it does get to be too much emotionally, it's time to take a break.

I actually take regular breaks approximately every 6 weeks since I've found this helps me to avoid getting to the breaking point where my play is actually affected. Unfortunately, once you hit that point you can bleed a bit before you notice, so for me it's easier to back off and refocus at set times so I don't have to decide based on how I feel.
  • Hey Beanie,

How long are the "breaks" you take? And how strict are you with the timing of them? What I mean is - do you know ahead of time that you won't play from a specific date to a specific date, or do you just roughly plan ahead to take a certain amount of time off within the next few weeks?

I'm asking because I have my regular live games - but my online play is more sporadic - and I tend to "binge" on it, and then go off it for awhile. My online play is also less profitable and I'm wondering if I'd be better off playing more regularly. I know you play online regularly and I'd be interested to see how you handle your schedule.

For the OP:
    For the last week or so

Don't ever sweat a single week. I've had much longer rough patches! A week is just a blip. As long as you're still having fun, be confident that solid play will prevail in the long run. If you're no longer having fun, well that's another issue altogether.
  • ElElliott wrote: »
    How long are the "breaks" you take? And how strict are you with the timing of them? What I mean is - do you know ahead of time that you won't play from a specific date to a specific date, or do you just roughly plan ahead to take a certain amount of time off within the next few weeks?
    I'm not very strict with the timing to take them. When I finish a break I make a note of the day I start playing and when my next break should occur. Once it gets closer, I decide a specific time period based on family schedule and events I don't want to miss. As a specific example, I returned to play after being off (for Disney) on Oct. 10, so I expect my next break should be somewhere between Nov. 14 - Dec. 5 . We have family birthday parties Nov. 25 and 26, and are hosting our own tourney on Dec. 1, so a good window (and my current plan) is Nov. 25 - Nov. 30. If it weren't for the family commitments, I REALLY wanted to play HORSE at Bristol and would've set a different break time. Maybe too much detail, but just the thought process.

As far as how long the breaks are, I'm fairly strict. I make sure they are at least 5 days (a week ignoring weekends) but they could be longer. However, once I set the length I consider it inflexible. This is partly to ensure "proper rest" from the game, but also to practice the self-control that I can actually step back from the game when I want and not cave in early (addiction-avoidance ;) ).

As a side-note, these breaks are only from playing (and for me that means all playing, live or online), not from poker in general. During my break I still frequent the forum, read books, and spend a lot of time going over my play in PT from the previous session in more detail.

Hope this helps, and isn't too much of a hi-jack...
  • I take extended breaks like Beanie. I don't regulate them but I just break when I stop enjoying the game. I return to play when I get the itch to play again. My last break (with the exception of playing a Bristol) was for about two weeks. I returned to play last week and have been on a good roll and enjoying it. I took a couple of bad beats and it didn't get under my skin. Yeah, it bugged me but I laughed it off. When I can no longer laugh it off I break.

During my break I do visit the forum and will watch it on TV (I really like that PPT coverage) but that's about all the poker I do. I read, play video games and write stuff in the time that I normally used to play poker.

Now on a side note, keep in mind that I don't play every day. I never have. I play a few times a week for a few hours at a time. Couple SNGs or the odd MTT (which I rarely play due to time constraints). So take my adivce with a grain of salt if you play more regularly.
  • Thanks guys :)
  • My current on line break begins NOW. I will still play live and read more. I have just gone through a stupid amount of bubbling in SNG's getting my money in with the best of it and am getting tired of it. I just cleared my $150 bonus which cost me $300 to get. Now it's break time.