Rebuy tourney strategy

Hey all,

Not sure if this has been posted before but I havent seen it lately. I have been playing a few low buy-in rebuy tourneys and wanted to hear rebuy strategy from the experts. Do you look to double/triple/quadruple up early in the re-buy tourney? At what cost?

Cheers,

Mike

Comments

• yes you do... at any cost...
    my best advice would be to observe some of the rebuy tournaments during the rebuy stage to get an idea of how to play... either way i would try to get about 5x or 6x starting stack by the end of the rebuy period...
  • And that wont be hard - you will get a few dumbasses at every table who will keep dumping chips once they go on tilt.
  • All in Blind first hand. Convince several others to do with this you. Rebuy as necessary. Play aggressive and build the stack as you need about 5x the original buy in once the rebuys stop. If there's an add on ADD ON regardless of chips.
  • This is a GREAT question, I hope one of you more experienced players has the time to pick it up..I'm just learning them too and am very interested in the answer.

I'm also wondering about bankroll and reasonable investment levels more specifically, as well as strategy. There seem to be so many exact guidelines for buy ins etc. of SNGs and ring games, but I haven't found much for rebuys.

Are there set guidelines by which a person would make a decision on # of rebuys?

ie: an assessment of your table, or relation of investment to estimated prize pool (and if this one applies-how do you determine it?)

I've got a friend who's a pro and he will rebuy as many times as it takes, but his contention is that even if he loses the all-in its still beneficial to him to be at a 'rich' table, one that he is confident he can out play in the post-rebuy period, and emerge from later with a massive amount of chips. Do you think that logic still applies to more humble players like myself, and if not, what guidelines are there?
  • Play really tight or really loose - middle of the road doesn't usually work. Personally, I play far tighter than most in a rebuy. If it's a double rebuy, I'll immediately take it to ensure I get maximum value when I get a hand. The other players are loose enough that I can usually play 2 or 3 hands during the rebuy period and be at or above average, and the cost per tournament is a lot lower. Also, the players don't seem to care about how tight you are (if they even notice) since it's a rebuy, so it doesn't seem to kill the action.
    Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Are there set guidelines by which a person would make a decision on # of rebuys?
    I don't set a hard limit. I'll choose my style of play (loose or tight), but after that I'll rebuy anytime it's available (I'm broke, below min for double, or add-on). I only stop if it becomes apparent that I'm just going to bleed (bad position against skilled players) or the rebuy gives you too few chips to continue playing (less than 15-20 BB).
    Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I've got a friend who's a pro and he will rebuy as many times as it takes, but his contention is that even if he loses the all-in its still beneficial to him to be at a 'rich' table, one that he is confident he can out play in the post-rebuy period, and emerge from later with a massive amount of chips. Do you think that logic still applies to more humble players like myself, and if not, what guidelines are there?
    IF your edge is high enough this is a great strategy, but I think it only really works live. Online, with the faster levels, speedy player attrition, and random player movement and table collapses, you could flood your table and then quickly find yourself at a table with no chips (which really sucks - I tried this a few times and got burned).
  • i would never set a limit to the number of rebuys, you rebuy as many times as you have to... IMO the most i've ever had to rebuy is like 10 times or so, i mean your bound not to get sucked out every time... assuming you get your money in ahead, or i guess vice versa... u usually base the 10x buyin for the descisions to do with my bankroll.
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    Play really tight or really loose - middle of the road doesn't usually work. Personally, I play far tighter than most in a rebuy. If it's a double rebuy, I'll immediately take it to ensure I get maximum value when I get a hand. The other players are loose enough that I can usually play 2 or 3 hands during the rebuy period and be at or above average, and the cost per tournament is a lot lower. Also, the players don't seem to care about how tight you are (if they even notice) since it's a rebuy, so it doesn't seem to kill the action.

I don't know if I can agree that playing really tight works in a rebuy tourney. I've played many tournies where I haven't gotten a premium hand within the first hour. The rebuy period is one of the best times to build a stack, why limit the opportunity by only playing select hands?
  • I play alot of rebuy tournaments.

No matter how tight you play during the rebuy period, and how good your cards are, some donk will suck out on you. I have tried every stratagey during that period that I can think of. They all lead to multiple rebuys.

My suggestion is play good cards, suited connectors in limping situations, see a few flops, use your position to your advantage.

You will always have a few wild players at you table, these are the people you can get your chips from.

And don't limit yourself to how many buyins you purchase.
  • Re-buys can definately pose some interesting challenges to players who have not played them before. Generally I find the following to be true (although not always!)

Re-buys are very loose during the re-buy period. Especially at lower limits. When the rebuy period ends they often become very tight and will sometimes take 3 or 4 laps of the button to get back on track.

My strategy in poker, business, investing, life is this: Do the opposite of what everyone else is doing. When the play is loose, tighten up a bit. When it is tight get in some pots and muck it up. If you play the same style as everyone else you give up an easily expoitable edge.

I wouldn't set limits as far as rebuys but 3-4 is usually lots. More than 5 and you are on a serious tilt and playing very -EV. Although keep in mind if you are donking off chips in a rebuy they are still going to be at your table when the rebuy ends. You can get them back!!!
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I wouldn't set limits as far as rebuys but 3-4 is usually lots. More than 5 and you are on a serious tilt and playing very -EV. Although keep in mind if you are donking off chips in a rebuy they are still going to be at your table when the rebuy ends. You can get them back!!!

If the rebuy is cheap enough it's ok to donk them off.

That's why I took a note from g2's tourney and we move everyone after the first hour (it's a 2 hour rebuy) to ensure the chips get moved around.

I think beanie made the best point, if your out of position vs the good/skilled players then you will bleed chips.