Do you consider your self a lucky person?

Just wondering how many of us consider ourselves to be lucky?

I tend to think overall I am not a lucky person but use my skills and knowledge to help me win at the poker table.

Comments

• I am very unlucky. I call it inconvenient bad luck. Anything that will really put a dent in my day usually happens. I am not unlucky like cancer unlucky but just the crappy things in life.

Examples:

1) I bought a house and the laywer screwed up and I was thisclose to being homeless for a weekend. I also went from a return of $2800 to owing the laywer an additional $3000 all in 12 hours. He sucked.

2) The week after I spend almost all of my savings building a deck and buying a vacation package I get laid off from my job.

3) The first day I park my car on my street instead of my driveway it gets crunched by a hit and run driver.

4) On an important trip to Florida I am the ONLY person to get bumped to the bnext day flight only to learn that my seat was still on stand-by for the next day (I found out once I got there).

5) Whenever I go through airport security I am ALWAYS the random search. And I used to travel monthly.

6) My running shoes set off metal detectors. Airport security later showed my that there are two metal bars in my shoes. Why? No idea.

7) I had corrective surgery on my nose as a child only to have the doctor correct one side and screwup the other.

8) While travelling my hotel room key works only 50% of the time. I almost always have to go back to the front desk and get a new key....this happens when I first check in.

My wife never believed my bad luck stories until we got married and she has witnessed first hand my luck. She calls me the unluckiest person she knows.

I have sooooo many more odd unlucky stories.
  • Like the Bristol- where you never cut the deck - and when the dealer cut the deck for you- you get dealt AA - which was cracked ending your night:)
  • Yeah, things like that!

I get angry for 10 minutes and then move on.
  • I know I'm a lucky person - I'm frequently in the right place at the right time.

I probably have as many examples as FlintBones does of his unluckiness!

My favourite was finding a $25 chip on the floor in Caesar's Palace and betting it at a $25 min BJ table. Within about 3 minutes I had quadrupled up and I treated my friends to dinner.

Little things like that happen to me all the time.

As for poker-related luck. Meh. Sometimes the cards are with me, and sometimes they aren't.
  • TNORTH wrote: »
    Like the Bristol- where you never cut the deck - and when the dealer cut the deck for you- you get dealt AA - which was cracked ending your night:)
    as i recall, it was AJ... and you ALWAYS cut the friggin deck since the dealer was obviously a cheat!
  • Luck? What's that?
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Luck? What's that?
    It's the prize for those who make "break" - just another fairy tale...
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    as i recall, it was AJ... and you ALWAYS cut the friggin deck since the dealer was obviously a cheat!

The cutting of the deck is another issue that maybe even deserves its own thread!
  • I consider myself very lucky that I live in Canada and have had every opportunity available to me in my life. Winners are those who take advantage of good opportunities. If the worst you have to complain about is security screenings at the airport and bad beats - you are a very lucky person.

Not a single one of you has to worry about a bomb hitting your house, a mine in the playground, the stores having food on the shelves or being detained in a jail for years without access to due process.

Sure there are bumps along the road, I have already had 2 major surguries on different parts of my body, been laid off from a job after my SO had found a job and comitted to move to another city to be with me, etc. But I don't consider any of it bad luck, I just call it life.
  • Why the hate? We're having a light conversation about if crappy things happen to us. Then you come along and say be happy we're not living in Iraq or the slums in a third world country. Yeah we do realise that but you can still be unlucky. Luck is all relative to your enviornment. We live in a place where we do not have to worry about bombs and real terrorist threats. And as I said I have inconvenient bad luck. So rain somewhere else.
  • Couldn't have said it any better Adam...
  • Why the hate?

No malice intended. Just trying to approach the discussion from a different angle. The OP was just about luck, not luck at the poker table, etc.

I have travelled a lot for work as well (2 flights a week for 9 months straight). I also had lots of border issues, were subject to many a "screening", etc. It isn't fun. I am also not saying that your point is invalid, just trying to view things through a wider lens.

Adam.
  • My point is we are all aware of how lucky we are to be living where we are living. Why bring up a serious issue when we are discussing stupid things?

It's like bringing up the fact that at least Sloth has money to buy a new bed frame from Sears since he should be happy since there are people sleeping in gutters.
  • I can't believe my luck.

Why am I reading this thread?