Comments on these hands

Here are a couple of hands that came up today and wanted to get your thoughts... I want to make sure I am not playing to passive..

My thinking on this one is that being the chip leader at this point I dont need to call this all-in most likely this will be a flip and there is a good possibility I am in against a bigger pair.. Am i thinking right or should I be taking advantage of my stack size and trying to take out the small stacks?

PokerStars Game #6838674876: Tournament #34844968, $15+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/10/31 - 06:33:35 (ET)
Table '34844968 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: victorism (2620 in chips)
Seat 2: mikas_pot (1535 in chips)
Seat 4: korn999 (2950 in chips)
Seat 6: shanghaiboi8 (1635 in chips)
Seat 7: allsk (1255 in chips)
Seat 8: futuredoc85 (1615 in chips)
Seat 9: R9R10 (1890 in chips)
futuredoc85: posts small blind 50
R9R10: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to korn999 [8d 8s]
victorism: folds
mikas_pot: folds
korn999: raises 200 to 300
shanghaiboi8: folds
allsk: raises 955 to 1255 and is all-in
futuredoc85: folds
R9R10: folds
korn999: folds
allsk collected 750 from pot
allsk: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 750 | Rake 0
Seat 1: victorism folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: mikas_pot folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: korn999 folded before Flop
Seat 6: shanghaiboi8 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: allsk (button) collected (750)
Seat 8: futuredoc85 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: R9R10 (big blind) folded before Flop

Again my thinking here is the blinds are small and because this guy moved all in ahead of me I lose any fold equity that AKo has so at this stage with my healthy stack size I feel like I can find a better spot to get my chips in....am I being to passive again?
PokerStars Game #6838775966: Tournament #34845862, $25+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/10/31 - 07:02:46 (ET)
Table '34845862 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: korn999 (2814 in chips)
Seat 2: chaval (1445 in chips)
Seat 4: lostpark (1405 in chips)
Seat 5: prodigenous (1405 in chips)
Seat 7: brille100 (1090 in chips)
Seat 8: B0NEYARD (3305 in chips)
Seat 9: ollaa (2036 in chips)
ollaa: posts small blind 25
korn999: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to korn999 [Ad Kh]
chaval: folds
lostpark: folds
prodigenous: calls 50
brille100: raises 1040 to 1090 and is all-in
B0NEYARD: folds
ollaa: folds
korn999: folds
prodigenous: folds
brille100 collected 175 from pot
brille100: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 175 | Rake 0
Seat 1: korn999 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: chaval folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: lostpark folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: prodigenous folded before Flop
Seat 7: brille100 collected (175)
Seat 8: B0NEYARD (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: ollaa (small blind) folded before Flop

The reason I am asking is because in both these tourneys I missed the money even with my early healthy stack. I am beginning to wonder if I am maybe passing on good opportunities to build a big stack... Or would you consider my play correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Hand 1 I like the fold. Mid pocket pairs are hard to call early in a tournament against an all in.

Hand 2 Hate the fold. At worst, I think you were just a bit behind with alot of oppurtunity to outdraw here.
  • Hand 1: When my chip stack is a lot bigger than the guy going all in, I'll take more of these coin flip situations. You'll still be in good shape if you lose and it's always good to remove some players from the table. Depending on the player, I call, not knowing how they play, I probably fold.

Hand 2: I think it's a call. What do people usually have when they push with $150 in the pot? Ax or small PP, with the # of chips he has, he might be just trying to steal the blinds? The rare situation he may have KK or AA otherwise you're a coinflip or you're a winning. Again, if you lose you've still got a good bit of chips in front of you.
  • Hand 1: I don't like bringing 88 in for a raise in this spot. You are out of position and with 88 you are trying to flop a set or some kind of straight draw. This is limp or fold. But good fold to the guys push for sure.

Hand 2: Insanely bad fold. You are at worst a coinflip here IMO... likely to see AQ or a medium-small PP like JJ-22 here.
  • Hand 1: It's close and depends a lot on the player reraising you and your table image. Against a tightish player the fold seems right but against a more aggressive player when you've been opening/stealing a lot of pots I'd look him up. Definitely an easy open raise though.

Hand 2: Callcallcall. Just looks like a random open push, I'd give him a pretty wide range.
  • First hand you are getting almost 2 to 1. Given the range he could be pushing with (depends on YOUR image, too) I'd have to call.

2nd hand. I push behind him to isolate. Very unlikely to be up against AA or KK.
  • call
    call
  • sorry
    1) agree with pkrface and call
    2) I just call nobodys calling here anyways unless you are behind
  • I'd hesitate the call on Hand 1. Mid pockets are tough to play all in preflop with. Definitely need more info on the opponent though to make a better judgement, but based on what is posted, I don't mind the fold here.

Hand 2...still wanna call this SOOOOOOOOOOO badly.
  • specialK wrote: »
    Hand 1: I don't like bringing 88 in for a raise in this spot. You are out of position and with 88 you are trying to flop a set or some kind of straight draw. This is limp or fold. But good fold to the guys push for sure.

Level 4 with the blinds of 50/100 I would always raise in this position. I would not call the all in tho unless he had less of a stack
    Hand 2: Insanely bad fold. You are at worst a coinflip here IMO... likely to see AQ or a medium-small PP like JJ-22 here.

As much as I"d rather be pushing with AK I think I make the call here and kick my ass if I don't hit.
  • Hand 1: I think thats a fairly easy fold - even at 2-1. At best he has A/Q but your more likely up against a bigger pair.

Hand 2: I don't think it's as bad a fold as alot of people are saying. Your only on the third level and you have nothing invested in the pot. That being said, you have enough chips to call and take the race to really build a nice stack. I feel like you can discount the possibility that he has a AA or KK, so generally calling in this spot is the right move. Most likely this guy is feeling short(he's not) and is trying to pick up the blinds and limpers. I still feel like an argument for folding could be made.