A Play that Always Baffles Me

PokerStars Game #6784319759: Tournament #34146677, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2006/10/26 - 23:45:42 (ET)
Table '34146677 128' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: OpusOne (14692 in chips)
Seat 2: chase27 (17015 in chips)
Seat 3: homedj (1460 in chips)
Seat 5: johnstaton (14600 in chips)
Seat 6: Damanwinz (15037 in chips)
Seat 7: jeepseller13 (11300 in chips)
Seat 8: Monteroy (16396 in chips)
Seat 9: the count 33 (10425 in chips)
Monteroy: posts small blind 100
the count 33: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Monteroy [5s 4h]
OpusOne: folds
chase27: folds
homedj: folds
johnstaton: folds
Damanwinz: folds
jeepseller13: folds
Monteroy: calls 100
adam_0925 is connected
the count 33: raises 10225 to 10425 and is all-in
Monteroy: folds
the count 33 collected 400 from pot
Monteroy said, "ok 100 more chips"
the count 33: doesn't show hand

This is just after the rebuy period. I see this once in a while with 100+ blind all in bets heads up after all fold and a SB calls or a SB doing it when all fold. Obviously when the blinds are large I understand this type of play , but it always baffles me on such when blinds are tiny compared to the stacks (rebuy periods aside where wacky stuff can happen).

I guess I am trying to get the psychology behind such a play, and I am coming up a bit blank, so any comments welcome. I'm just trying to think of what hands make that play given that almost no hands can call it unless the caller is dominating.

Comments

• The weak player simply does not want to be called. For example, he may have pocket ducks or other low pair and does not want to see a flop. I used to do the same all-in play when I was new to poker, but learned that with relatively low blinds, it was a highly negative-equity play .
    Monteroy wrote: »
    I guess I am trying to get the psychology behind such a play, and I am coming up a bit blank, so any comments welcome. I'm just trying to think of what hands make that play given that almost no hands can call it unless the caller is dominating.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    The weak player simply does not want to be called. For example, he may have pocket ducks or other low pair and does not want to see a flop. I used to do the same all-in play when I was new to poker, but learned that with relatively low blinds, it was a highly negative-equity play .

Sometimes I do it with high cards and provoke a call from something like JJ when I have KK or AA. The caller assumes as blondfish wrote I have ducks or maybe two high cards and don't want a call.
  • Monteroy wrote: »
    I'm just trying to think of what hands make that play given that almost no hands can call it unless the caller is dominating.
    I think you answered your own question. He could have any 2 cards if he reads you as someone who would have raised with any kind of decent hand. Mind you, it is a dangerous play. He could have accomplished the same thing with a 5xbb raise. He could be trying to train the table to stay away from his blind.
  • Its a message to the table. "Don't limp in, just fold around to me instead."
  • Smells like 88-10 10, He doesn't really want a call, but will gamble with it.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    Sometimes I do it with high cards and provoke a call from something like JJ when I have KK or AA. The caller assumes as blondfish wrote I have ducks or maybe two high cards and don't want a call.

same here...i find it works too until later stages of the tournament when most of the weakest players are gone.