Calling all tighties - want to change your style - try short handed!!!!

I play tight, sometimes too tight and probably passiv, yuck! I've been trying to work on playing a all around better game, learn to change my game as the table changes and honestly raise the aggression level a bit. I simple cannot play loose, however I can play weak and I want to be more aggressive...sure it's not as simple as that but I think my play is pretty much one dimensional and honestly it's successful at the levels I play and the game - full ring limit.
So how does a limit tight ass experiment.....instead of jumping right into NL (I do play some NL but am break even at best, limit is my game.) I decided to play some short handed limit. I am currently clearing a Eurobet bonus and they offer 5,6, and 7 handed tables. The 5-handed tables have been a gold mine for me. I believe they are a great opportunity for a tight player to try and open up. I think playing tight ABC poker at a short handed table is a recipe for disaster.

Anyways, this is more a comment then a question but over the past week not only have I made more money then I would have at full ring I am having more fun as I am playing more hands, learning to be more aggressive and I have to admit it's more exciting then full ring. (and the bonus points clear faster!!!!)

I know one week is a micro-sample and as I'm still learning I'm sure I'm making my share of mistakes....like overplaying hands like AK when the flop misses me. I think in a full ring game players are calling a pre-flop raise with better holdings then they would short handed because I think people are raising with a much wider range of hands short handed. So is it a mistake to make a continuation bet on the flop and turn if you miss your AK? If you get called on the flop are you better off checking the turn? Just wondering what advice you short handed pros have for a short handed newbie and what types of hands you play differently short handed versus full ring?

Comments

• Sorry I should know but what is your name and limit you play on Eurobet because I play the SH a lot on the same network.

For AK or any hand I raise with preflop, when SH I always bet the flop regardless, unless the table is super loose and I have 4 or more opponents. If I think I can isolate against one opponent I may 3 bet if raised, especially if the opponent is known to try and steal or he bets draws aggressively on the flop.

3 opponents on the turn I will check/call or check/fold, unless I also have at least an 8 out draw - which might even be a gutshot+overcards. 2 opponents I may check or bet depending on my read/outs. Heads up I always bet the turn.

On the river, heads up AK I may check/call or c/fold depending on the opponent. Most other hands I will c/f, unless an obvious draw is missed on the river and the opponent is known to bet missed draws.

Generally I aim for 25%/20%/5/40

If my table has 2 opponents at 30% preflop or less, I leave and find a looser table. Although I don't mind a super tight/non-aggressive player on my left because blind stealing plays a bigger role in SH, I generally will move to the left of the loosest/most aggressive player on the table so I can fold my mediocre hands and reraise/isolate against him with my better cards.
  • moose wrote: »
    Sorry I should know but what is your name and limit you play on Eurobet because I play the SH a lot on the same network.

67BigE67, although I only play 0.50/1.00 or 1.00/2.00....what's yours so I can avoid giving you my money :)
    moose wrote: »
    For AK or any hand I raise with preflop, when SH I always bet the flop regardless, unless the table is super loose and I have 4 or more opponents. If I think I can isolate against one opponent I may 3 bet if raised, especially if the opponent is known to try and steal or he bets draws aggressively on the flop.

3 opponents on the turn I will check/call or check/fold, unless I also have at least an 8 out draw - which might even be a gutshot+overcards. 2 opponents I may check or bet depending on my read/outs. Heads up I always bet the turn.

On the river, heads up AK I may check/call or c/fold depending on the opponent. Most other hands I will c/f, unless an obvious draw is missed on the river and the opponent is known to bet missed draws.

Generally I aim for 25%/20%/5/40.

That's generally how I've adjusted, at first I was also betting the turn and possibly river without any other draw then over cards which I think was a mistake.
    moose wrote: »
    If my table has 2 opponents at 30% preflop or less, I leave and find a looser table. Although I don't mind a super tight/non-aggressive player on my left because blind stealing plays a bigger role in SH, I generally will move to the left of the loosest/most aggressive player on the table so I can fold my mediocre hands and reraise/isolate against him with my better cards.

Interesting, can you view these stats from Eurobet's software? My PokerOffice will not import my Euro or 9 poker stats (which sucks because I've done so well!!!!!) but I have been sitting to the right of the shorter stacks and left of the larger stacks trying to accomplish the same thing. I neglected position early in my career and am seeing now just how important it is.....maybe I'm just blowing smoke but it seemed even more so in a SH game?

By the way, does 9 poker have the same soft SH games?

Thanks Moose.
  • Since the Americans got left behind by their gov't my wife reports almost no traffic on ninepoker but when they run it makes no difference to play sh or full ring. The players are just bad.

Position is more important in SH. Not for the cards you play but versus your opponents. In full ring you can just play solid cards and win but in sh you have to outplay your opponent more and the cards matter less.

Eurobet is a pokerroom skin so GameTime+ hud should work. I'm surprised PokerOffice isn't. Maybe you don't have the database link set right in PO.