Bristol Street Classic VIII - Results!

Thirteen poker pros each ponied up $10 to get a shot at a prize pot worth tens of dollars!! And when all was said and done, it was finally revealed that "Hell Froze Over"!!!

The initial stages of the tournament went as expected with some loose play based on the fact that there were re-buys along with some good and gutsy calls. Among the players falling to the wayside in the first few hours: the champion of Bristol Street VI, Anthony "Quickfingers" Runstedler, fellow Sun Life skittle poker pro, Bill "B.S." Stride, two pokerforum.ca hopefuls, Jonathan "Oragami" Claymen and the defending champion of Bristol Street VII, Paul "Big Daddy" Woodard As the players dropped out, chips changed hands with great frequency and we found ourselves at the "Final Table". Players redrew seats and this is how the final table looked...

In Seat 1 was Champion of Bristol Street I, and tournament host Rob "The Knave" LeGood. Leading up to the final table The Knave was at one point chip leader but continually lost them as the frequency of his drinking beers increased. The Knave was the shortstack at the final table with 725 chips.

In Seat 2 was the Champion of the Bristol Street Bounty Hunt, Tye "8-Ball" Zinger. Tye held 1,325 chips.

In Seat 3 was Skittle poker hopeful, Andy "Scarface" Oja. Andy had 1,950 chips.

Seat 4 was occupied by Dave "The Devil" Steele, with a healthy chip count of 2,425.

In Seat 5, in a simliar chip position was pokerforum.ca's own Brad "Xsqueezeme" with 2,575

In Seat 6, and at his first final table, was Matt "Kelso" Lantz with an improbable 4,350 in chips and was the chip leader going into the final table.

Rounding out the players, in Seat 7, was Adam "Fatl", another pokerforum.ca hopeful, competing in his first Bristol Street Classic.

7TH PLACE - Dave "Devil" Steele

The Devil went all-in with JJ, pushing in his healthy chipstack. His only caller was Kelso who showed A7o. An ace appeared on the flop and Dave was the first to bust out in the final table. His chips were added to Kelso's stack and the chip leader pulled away from the remaining players.

6th PLACE - Rob "The Knave" LeGood

With less than half the average chip stack, The Knave needed to find a good hand to double up on. His first All-In, a ragged Ace dominated by The Devil's better kicker ended in a split pot when the Board paired twice. His second all-in attempt, with K5 of diamonds was met with A9o. The flop helped no one and a brief moment of hope was given when the turn produced the second diamond. No help arrived on the river and The Knave was out in 6th.

5th PLACE - Andy "Scarface" Oja

Sadly, Andy ended up being our Bubble Boy (only 4 positions being paid) on a very tough beat. Pre-flop, Scarface ended up all-in pre-flop against 8-Ball. It was A9s vs. A6o which meant that Andy held a dominating hand and was a 75% favorite to win. The flop was a huge scare for Andy showing all Spades. (And the Tye's 6 was the only spade in the player's hands) The turn was an Ace, and a fourth space fell on the river, giving Tye the flush, knocking Andy out of the tournament.

4th PLACE ($15) - Adam "Fatl"

With a diminishing stack Adam risked all-in with T7o, hoping to steal the blinds. Unfortunatly for him, he ran into 8-Ball's AQs. The Ace-Queen held up and Adam was the first of the players, "In the Money" to exit the game.

With three players left the chip count was as follows...

Kelso - $10,000

Tye - $3,600

Brad - $1,400

3rd PLACE ($22) - Tye "8-Ball" Zinger

Looking to make his own move, Tye ended up all in with T6o on a bluff. Kelso thought for a long moment and matched with "Presto" (poker 5's). No help for Tye meant that the 5's held up and Kelso was in a dominating chip position going into heads up play.

FINAL HAND

KELSO : 96o

BRAD : K7o

BOARD : T, 7, 8, 6, 5

In the small blind, Kelso called and we saw a flop. Brad pushed all-in with second pair, but Kelso had made his straight on the flop. Brad needed a two runners to win, but it was not to be and Kelso became Champion of Bristol Street VIII winning his prize of $75 (with no re-buys he points out) Brad took second place and $38.

From our champion, Kelso....

"my thoughts on poker.......while they are fresh -- although it must be so noted that I am tired and yet at the same time filled with the energy that comes along with winning, right, anyway. My thoughts: "we came, we saw, we kicked its ASS!!!!!!!!" ---- but really, I came into the poker tournament with one goal: to not be the first or second person eliminated but to be the third -- anything beyond that was gravy -- well that's not true -- I wanted to win but I was trying to be realistic -- after I saw that I wasn't beling eliminated right away -- all I wanted to do was survive -- survive until the next person was eliminated and then the person after that and before long I just wanted to make it to the final table and then I just wanted to be in the money and then I just wanted to kick tyes butt off the table and then I wanted to win. I did. Who saw that one comming? not me. I still want the poker name kelso though. I earned that name and by god I'm keeping it! I played well but I did not win without luck of course -- I recal a hand between me and tye that involved me (with a king in my hand getting a king off like the turn and then another off the river or whatever -- meanwhile I had tye betting/raising me somewhere in the 1000's.....or myabe not the thousands but it was a lot (half his chips I think) -- and that was as rob put "ballsy" and as I put it -- "fuckin lucky""

Congradulations go out to our new Champion!! Look for news on our next tournament, occuring around the end of August very, very soon!!!

Rob.

Comments

• Awesome Zith. Let us know when the next one is, I have two K-town friends (one in Sierra Lione right now that is coming back Aug 17) that will for sure want to play. I really enjoyed the first one and find your posts quite enjoyable too. Thanks for the write up, sorry i missed it.

stp
  • Awesome writing Zithal! Good read like always. Hopefully I can play in a few of these once school starts :)
  • Thanks again Zithal for hosting yet another tourney. I had a great time just as I did the last.
    The one killer hand for me was;

Kelso and I were in to see a flop with 4 people left in the tourney. I had my K4 suited. I flopped a 4 and there was a J and Q in the flop as well. 2 which were diamonds. I bet a substantial amount and Kelso called. A 2, not diamond was the turn, and I bet again hoping to shake off the possible flush drabut Kelso called again. I figured Kelso had a bigger pair than I, so I checked when the 5 not diamond came up on the river. Kelso also checked and I sadly thru in my cards saying that " I only have a pair of fours". Kelso then threw in his cards face up ( curse the face up thrower ) (lol) saying " I have nothing "
    His cards were the A3 diamonds. Alas, I lost a large chunk of my chips to the ol "unrecognized straight". This put a pretty good hit on me and left me short stacked getting down to 3 players left.

Big thanks again to Zithal who while dealing ( quite well for the amount of alcohol cusumption ) witnessed his favorite hand played by me. The only hand that I showed pretty much all night. The ol 72o ! I raised from the SB to have Kelso fold to the powers I was about to unleash if called. lol

I also only heard Rob say "Biatch" once the whole night. When Fatl made the 3 minute ho-humm, hmmm, well, ahhhh, hmmm FOLD! to Tye's raise. The big coincidence was that there was only 3 minutes left until the next blind up.
  • Zithal, I meant to ask you a little more about the poker program you were running for the tourney.
    I know I asked you about it before but.
    What is it called?
    Where did you get it?
    How much was it?
    Do you have a burner?
    lol

Just give me any info you think I might need to get it, cuz it truly helps run the tourney quite smoothly.
    Thanks
  • thanks again for the tourny from one of the new boys, it's great to play against some new faces. you host a great game. nice meeting all of you!

hopefully luckier next time!
    alex
  • The program is called The Tournament Director and the homepage can be found here.

It's a donationware program and works well, except for a few glitches with how the seating works.
  • My big mistakes were not adjusting my play when sitting at a table with a loose maniac and pissing off the poker gods. I lost count of the number of hands I would pick up with the 2 in my hand and 2 in the flop giving me 4 to a straight. With all the outs I had over all those hands NOT ONE TIME did a card I need show.

We have a saying at our lunch time poker games at work, "Grandma Steve". She's an ugly STRAIGHT woman and for some reason I was chasing her all night. I guess I can be glad that I didn't catch her because when you have to pay her off she wants you to do terrible, terrible things to her. *shudders*

(no offense to any Grandma's in the crowd, I'm sure you're very lovely ladies)

I'll be at the next one and I'll be sure to remember my bad.
  • Zithal wrote:
    It's a donationware program and works well, except for a few glitches with how the seating works.

Perhaps that gets fixed when you donate. ;)
  • Good read.
  • ... for the link Zithal !
  • great read.... all these games in the 'TO' surrounding area makes me want to move. Not many games in the Montreal area.