why you don't want multiway pots with AA

Not a bad beat story but more of what you don't want AA facing 4+ people. I fully expected what he had once the river hit which is why I didn't bet. He indeed had lots of odds to call me down with his draw. The only card I was surprised not to see was someone with the Kspades.

heibaChoke Posted Small Blind $0.50
GTSS24 Posted Big Blind $1.00
nochange4u Posted Initial Blind $1.00
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (Ah, Ad)
BustedHah Folds
nochange4u Checks
Sharkkilla Folds
Acidjoe Raised to $2.00
Ohyeahhh Calls $2.00
bigjoeaa Calls $2.00
MrBernstein Folds
longyoda Folds
CheibaChoke Calls $1.50
GTSS24 Calls $1.00
nochange4u Calls $1.00
Dealing Flop (7s,8s,As) <-- hit the set but with 3 spades I need to try and reduce the players not that it will happen. Do have redraws to the boat tho.
CheibaChoke Checks
GTSS24 Checks
nochange4u Checks
Acidjoe Bets $1.00
Ohyeahhh Calls $1.00
bigjoeaa Folds
CheibaChoke Calls $1.00
GTSS24 Calls $1.00
nochange4u Calls $1.00
Dealing Turn (Qc)
CheibaChoke Checks
GTSS24 Checks
nochange4u Checks
Acidjoe Bets $2.00
Ohyeahhh Calls $2.00
CheibaChoke Calls $2.00
GTSS24 Folds
nochange4u Calls $2.00
Dealing River (Jc)
CheibaChoke Checks
nochange4u Checks
Acidjoe Checks
Ohyeahhh Checks
CheibaChoke has (7h, 7d)
nochange4u has (9h, Td)
nochange4u Wins $24.00 from pot 1 with : Queen High Straight

Comments

• Funny thing is, you can blame Cheiba's poor play for you losing that pot. You guys shoulda been capping the flop at minimum.

Im thinking about the river non-bet. I think I like it, personally I bet because I expect hands less than a set to call. I dislike betting because you are forced to call the check-raise from the flush.

What I don't get is how you know yer beat by a straight. Villian could be holding three variations of OESD so really, you'd only be right 1/3.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Funny thing is, you can blame Cheiba's poor play for you losing that pot. You guys shoulda been capping the flop at minimum.

You'd have thought that hitting a set he'd show some aggression, even a check/raise or something. The table had been playing very passive because I had taken down a few huge pots earlier. The straight I thought I'd see was the K T with the K being spades.
    Im thinking about the river non-bet. I think I like it, personally I bet because I expect hands less than a set to call. I dislike betting because you are forced to call the check-raise from the flush.

Ya but the the former is going to happen a lot more than the latter. A flush should have at least woken up with a turn raise.

Bet the river and it's not anywhere near close.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    Not a bad beat story but more of what you don't want AA facing 4+ people.

Actually, I found your title funny, because you just illustrated why you want to play AA in multiway pots. You have tons of equity here, don't focus on results.
  • ScoobyD wrote: »
    Actually, I found your title funny, because you just illustrated why you want to play AA in multiway pots. You have tons of equity here, don't focus on results.

I'm not focusing on the results. Same hand, same situation I still play it and keep betting till I"m convinced I"m beat. I realize if i'm behind I have outs to better my hand and if I'm ahead they are drawing to beat you. I was pretty sure I was ahead since there was no aggression anywhere. I honestly felt that the river card filled in to many hands that the others could be holding. I guess it was the shock of being in a loose passive game.
  • Bet the river and it's not anywhere near close.

Justify yourself. I think it's actually closer than you imply.

This pot isn't exactly a monster, so putting in two BB on the river for the likely one bet to win hurts.
    Justify yourself. I think it's actually closer than you imply.

This pot isn't exactly a monster, so putting in two BB on the river for the likely one bet to win hurts.

Ok.

1. Although the fact that the multiway pot increases the chances we may be beaten, it also gives us the opportunity to pick up multiple bets on the river from weak overcalls.

2. The river completes a gutshot with KT or an OESD with T9. It also completes a bunch of 2 pair hands like QJ, AJ, etc. I think it was highly likely we had the best hand going into the river (no one has shown any aggression). The spade didn't hit, and I'd hate to miss bets here when we have a very strong hand that is bound to get called by a ton of weak one and 2 pair hands in a fairly big pot.

3. Pot size. IMO 12.5BB is fairly big. I think we get weak calls here a lot at $1-2 (assuming the game is fairly loose passive based on the coldcalls preflop). As far as having to call 2 only when we're beat: At this level at least some of the time there will be odd river raises with 2 pair, lower sets, so at least some % of the time our top set is good even against a raise. And secondly, against the super passives, they aren't even guaranteed to raise a made straight on the river for fear of a made flush.

In general, in a loose passive game like this if the situation is close (which I still don't think this qualifies as) I'd far sooner be aggressively value betting here than fearing a check-raise. I'm not looking for monsters under the bed here.
  • Thanks. I've been running bad the last few sessions, so it's easy to miss bets.