Photos from your home game

[Cross posted to Home Game section]

Canadian Poker Player Magazine now features a "Home Game Player" column. Occasionally we may run a page or two of photos from home games across Canada. If you want your picture in CPP then please email me at dave@CanadianPokerPlayer.com and I will help you get the image to me. Names will be required.

Is this something that people would like to see in the magazine?

Comments

• NARC!

Just kidding. Aren't there some privacy/legal issues with this? Like, do you need everyone's permission publish a photo they are in? Is verbal consent enough?

I'm not sure everyone playing poker (possibly illegally) would want their photo on the Chapter's newsstand. :)

Sigh. When I become Prime Minister, I'm going to legalize poker and criminalize reality shows and Celine Dion music...

ScottyZ
  • Aren't there some privacy/legal issues with this? Like, do you need everyone's permission publish a photo they are in? Is verbal consent enough?

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Actually, if someone submits a photo with names and grants me permission to print the photo then as long as I do due diligence (i.e. the photo DID come from THIS photographer) then I can print it. Consent is the photographer's issue. Verbal consent would be, I think, enough.
    When I become Prime Minister, I'm going to legalize poker and criminalize reality shows and Celine Dion music

There is NOTHING illegal in Canada about playing poker with your friends. If the game is raked then someone is a "gaming house" and you are breaking the law. If you get together with friends to play poker there is nothing illegal. Just as there is nothing illegal about wagering on the outcome of a football game with your spouse/father/friend there is nothing illegal about wagering on the outcome of a hand of cards.

Take a rake... break the law. Play amongst friends... enjoy your evening.
  • I believe that gaming law is determined by province, although the basic idea of the Ontario law is as you described AFAIK.

In addition to what you said, I also believe it is illegal (in Ontario) to drink and/or serve alcohol while "gaming", including playing (otherwise) legal poker.

ScottyZ
  • Gaming is regulated provincially. As a crime, however, that is a federal matter (Criminal Code of Canada). So, if you are not a crime the feds don't care and if you are not subject to provincial regulation the province doesn't care.
  • I think that's a great idea. and a good way to boost circulation, lol. I know I'd buy a few copies if my picture was in there.
  • I will send you a couple of pics now.. :)
  • Very good idea! I think that adds a personal side to the mag. I'll talk to my buddies next time we play. I'm sure they would love it.

Jon

PS sorry Dave haven't gotten back to you with that article, have been very busy in the journalism world. I'll get something to you ASAP.
  • I'm going to take pictures this weekend if we play. I'll send them out ASAP!!!