Let me start by introducing myself. I am Mr. Cheung Pui
director of operations of the Hang Seng Bank Ltd. I have a obscured business
suggestion for you.

Before the U.S and Iraqi war our client Major Fadi Basem
who was with the Iraqi forces and also business man made a numbered fixed
deposit for 18 calendar months, with a value of Twenty Four millions Five
Hundred Thousand United State Dollars only in my branch. Upon maturity several
notice was sent to him, even during the war early this year. Again after
the war another notification was sent and still no response came from him.
We later find out that the Major and his family had been killed during the
war in bomb blast that hit their home.

After further investigation it was also discovered that
Major Fadi Basem did not declare any next of kin in his
official papers including the paper work of his bank
deposit. And he also confided in me the last time he was at my office that
no one except me knew of his deposit in my bank. So, Twenty Four millions
Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars is still lying in my bank and
no one will ever come forward to claim it. What bothers me most is that
according to the to the laws of my country at the expiration 3 years the
funds will revert to the ownership of the Hong Kong Government if nobody
applies to claim the funds.
Against this backdrop, my suggestion to you is that I will like you as a
foreigner to stand as the next of kin to Major Fadi Basem so that you will
be able to receive his funds.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE:

I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that we shall
come out successful. I have contacted an attorney that will prepare the
necessary document that will back you up as the next of kin to Major Fadi
Basem , all that is required from you at this stage is for you to provide
me with your Full Names and Address so that the attorney can commence his
job. After you have been made the next of kin, the attorney will also fill
in for claims on your behalf and secure the necessary approval and letter
of probate in your favor for the move of the funds to an account that will
be provided by you.

There is no risk involved at all in the matter as we are
going adopt a legalized method and the attorney will
prepare all the necessary documents. Please endeavor to
observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this
issue.Once the funds have been transferred to your nominated bank account
we shall share in the ratio of 70% for me, 25% for you and 5% for expenses
incurred during the course of this operation. Should you be interested please
send me your full names and current residential address and I will prefers
you to reach me on the email address below,

(edited for now: I don't want anyone else spoiling my fun)

and finally after that i shall provide
you with more details of this operation.

Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mr. Cheung Pui.

Comments

• Here was my reply:

Dear Sir,

My thanks for your very interesting email below. I would dearly love
    to help you however my ministry forbids me from entering any business
    deal with partners who are not part of our faith.

If you ever decide to join our faith then of course I could help you
    both with my experience and financial support.

I wish you well in your endeavour my brother.

Blessings,

Father Howard Hertz
    Financial Development - Holy Church of Fish and Wine
    5th St. Chapel
    Spread Eagle, NF
    Canada
  • here was his reply (just a few minutes after I replied to him)

Dear Father Howard Hertz,

Thank you for your mail,please i want to ask what will it take for me to be a member of your faith although am a catholic by faith,however what we have here does not have anything to do with our faith or religion,
    What I expect from you is trust and commitment, I want this large sum
    of money transfered with your assistance,if we follow up this
    transaction diligently with your assistance it would be completed within a couple of days,this is the reason am soliciting your assistance.

I want to know if you are willing to follow up this business
    seriously before I can give you more details about this transaction,
    I shall be waiting your response and assurance.

Sincerely,

Cheung.
  • now my latest reply:

Hello, Brother Cheung

Thank you for your prompt reply. The brotherhood and I are forming a
    new group within our practice to battle the evil pastime of gambling
    which many in our community are addicted to this affliction. In
    particular, the game of poker. Most of our perishiners have left our
    devouted church due to gambling loses. Some have gone as far as to
    sell their belongings to move to Vegas. Before we continue further do
    you partake in the devil's game of poker?

Bless you,

Father Howard Hertz
    Church of Poker
    5th St. Chapel
    Spread Eagle, NF
    Canada
  • You've got to get him to send you a photo of him with a fish on his head (already a classic) and the Ace of Spades stuck to his forehead.

After that, tell him your PokerStars userid is AustinKearns and you'll transfer him $10K via your PokerStars account.

Then if he agrees to all that, you've got proof that he plays online poker. ;)

ScottyZ
  • I want him to make a sign up for me....what should it say?
  • sloth wrote:
    I want him to make a sign up for me....what should it say?

A-la ConfusedOne:

"Poker is EVIL"

ScottyZ
  • 72o
    is
    the
    NUTS!
  • he's already getting impatient.

Dear Father Howard Hertz,

Thanks for your mail,let me tell this am a banker not a gambler and i think at thos point i want to make it clear to you that what i want from you is your assistance in transferring this funds out of my bank nothing more nothing less if you know you are willing to assist me let me know so we can get started,we dont have times for games here.

Awaitng your response,

Regards,

Cheung.
  • thats awesome.
  • I've seen this scam before. I think there is a website which leads people around like this trying to get them to do all this stuff. very funny.
  • we dont have times for games here

Huh? Clearly, Mr. "Banker" has lots of times for games. And it looks like Sloth is having some fun with it too. It's all good to go for games.

ScottyZ
  • I like the fact that he is pretending to be Chinese and doesn't even know the correct usage convention for Chinese names.
    Kind Regards,

Mr. Cheung Pui.

Right on.
    Regards,

Cheung.

I believe this is wrong. It would be more common to close a letter as:

Regards,

Pui.

IIRC, according the the full name above, Cheung is the person's family name, and Pui is the individual's name. I have seen *lot* of people with family name Cheung, but never an individual name Cheung.

This brings up a larger question: why are there almost no Internet scams out there which make use of proper spelling and grammar? You'd think this would be a big step in establishing credibility.

ZScotty
  • sloth wrote:

"The daily special includes soup and a salad."

ScottyZ
  • sloth wrote:

"We don't have time for games here."

ScottyZ
  • Tilter wrote:
    I've seen this scam before. I think there is a website which leads people around like this trying to get them to do all this stuff. very funny.

Ya. That's where i got the idea from. It's fun so far! :)
  • haha, great work so far!

check it out, here's one of those sites for "419 scams" as they are called...

http://www.419eater.com/index.htm
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    A-la ConfusedOne:

"Poker is EVIL"

ScottyZ
    good one ScottyZ :D

heheh... EVIL :spade:

CO :canada:
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    You've got to get him to send you a photo of him with a fish on his head (already a classic) and the Ace of Spades stuck to his forehead.

ScottyZ
    ROFL :D:D:D
  • for all of someone else's chips. At least that's a novel twist.
  • here is the reply I sent just this minute:

Brother Cheung

I assure you that we aren't playing games. We need to know where your loyalties lie before our treasurer would allow any activity on our temple's account.

We sympathize with your cause and would like to help. Would you be willing to become an honorary member of our parish to proceed?

May the evils of gambling never mame you,

Father Howard Hertz
  • Hey Sloth,

If the Brother forwards your cut into a PokerStars account using the link on your website, will you be awarding him a subscription to the Cdn Poker Player Magazine?

Given the compromising position that might put you in, you could just redirect the Brother's mag my way. You know, just to keep him from being mamed.
  • Hey Father Howard,

I have finally seen the light myself. Sign me up for the Holy Church of Fish and Wine.

I am willing to give up poker, but only on one condition: if I can be allowed to play in the new poker room in Niagara Falls, ON when it opens up. It could be any day now. I can feel it.

And does your religion dictate consuming more or less fish and wine? If more, I'd like to offer to develop a Sushi & Sake Sub-Sect.

Also, can we make Monday to Thursday religious holidays?

Oh yeah, one last thing. I need some help with a large money transfer from Nigeria. Don't worry, you and your church will benefit from this transaction even more than I will personally. But we can talk about it later.

Looking forward to sitting down with you soon with a 12 pack of canned Tuna and some exquisite 5L boxed Wine. Surely, this will bring us the special kind of enlightenment your (hopefully, and I say with all humility, our) religion can bring to us as mere (non-fish) mortals.

Devoutly,
    ScottyZ
  • he replied back with a pre-canned response:

Dear Friend,

Thank you very much for your response, and your interest in this transaction.Like I said before,due to this issue on my hands now,it became necesary for me to seek your assistance, I appreciate the fact that you are ready to assist me in executing this project,and also to help me in investing my money in your country.You should not have anything to worry about. I will do everything legally required to ensure that the project goes smoothly,it shall pass through all the Legal Laws of International Banking.

Having resolved to entrust this transaction into your hands, I want to remind you that, it needs your commitment and diligent follow up.If you workseriously,the entire transaction should be over in a couple of days.

READ THE FOLLOWING AND GET BACK TO ME:

Firstly, I will want to know the type of occupation that you do and how old you are. You should note that this project is highly capital intensive.This is why I have to be very careful. I need your total devotion and trust to see this through. I know we have not met before,but I am very confident that we will be able to establish the necessary trust that we need to execute this project.

I am now in contact with a foreign online bank. I now intend that you open an account in your name in this foreign bank.The money would be transfered to your account which you will open in the bank for both of us, this is the best way,I have found,it will protect us from my bank.I want us to enjoy this money in peace when we conclude. So you should listen to my instructions and follow them religiously.Also You have to know that I cannot transfer this money in my name as my bank will be aware that it is from me. This is where I need you.

As result of this,you will have to open an account in the corresponding bank. I will obtain a certificate of deposit from this my bank,it will be issued in your name. This will make you the bonafide owner of the funds.

After this,the money will be banked online for both of us.We can then instruct the bank to transfer our various shares into our respective home bank accounts. I will also perfect the documentations with the assistance of my attorney to give the transaction the legal right. Before I commence,I will need you to send me a copy of any form your identification (Driver's licence or International passport) and your current address. I want to be sure that I am transacting with the correct person.

As soon as I get these from you,I will commence the paper work.I hope you will understand why I need all these. The money in question is big and I want to ensure that I know you well before I proceed to give you all the details to commence the project. I will also send you my international passport upon receipt of your identification. I will send the name and contact details of the bank and their website to you so that you can commence communication with
    them.

Ensure that you keep this project confidential, do not discuss it with anybody,because of the confidential nature of this transaction and my
    work.

Please reply soonest.

Regards,

Cheung.
  • sloth wrote:
    I am now in contact with a foreign online bank. I now intend that you open an account in your name in this foreign bank.
    Tell him you already have a Neteller account you can use.

hork.
  • Well, I guess we'll see if I pushed it too far with this reply:

I'm afraid your response has made me nervous, brother Cheung. It would seem that your response below had been pre-written and not personalized at all. It's as if you're sending this to a stranger, having no reference to our previous correspondence. I'm afraid I am now doubtful of your intentions.

Having said this, I would like to refer you to my previous email asking if you'd become an honorary member of our parish. We are currently tackling the evils of gambling in Canada as our good deed to grant us access to heaven in the afterlife.

You've asked in your email below what it is I do, which is what has lead me to doubt you. I am a minister with the church, having devouted my life to god and anti-gambling movements which I have already expressed to you.

I will be missioning in the city of Las Vegas, Nevada (USA) in a few days time to seek the leader of the poker coalition who goes by the name of Howard Lederer to plea to his good nature to ban poker activity within city limits. This journey leaves us short of time to complete our transaction.

I am compelled to help you because of my upbringing and will be able to provide you with proof. I can use the scanner of the chruch across the street: "Our Sacred Mother of Omaha" to copy my passport or drivers licence later today.

Because of the two deminsional form of your previous email, I also would ask for solid proof of your intentions. A single task that would prove yourself as well as enable you status as an honorary member of our parish. Please have a photograph of yourself taken holding a sign that clearly states: "Please ban Poker in Canada" but you must be seen holding it. We can then hang this picture in our "Hall of Distant Brothers" to show that you are sided with our cause. Upon completetion of this task, I will be able to provide it as evidence to our treasurer and get the approval to open a secondary account.

May the flop be with you, brother.

Lord Howard Hertz.
  • already a reply!

Dear Howard Hertz,

Thank you for your mail,my response was not pre-written,and i want to tell you that you should not be nervous at all and am not taking you as a stranger,its just that i want this transaction to be done as soon as possible,if this is done i will send some part of the money down to assist and fight against the game poker i know it has reduce some men to a piece of rag,so i know the game is bad and should not be encouraged in our society at all,so i promise that as soon as this transaction is completed i will send some money to you crusade against this evil that has eating deep into the society,on the reception of your passport or your drivers license i will send mine and the bank details.

Awaiting your response

your brother
  • Well, ain't I a piece of rag.

That's cold, man. Very cold.

I can't even be a full rag?

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    "We don't have time for games here."

ScottyZ

lmfao
  • This is hilarious. Awesome stuff Sloth, thanks for keeping us updated. As an aside, thanks also for including the bold, italics, underline, and quote buttons in the 'quick reply' box. Very helpful.

I knew this was going to be a good thread when I read this from Scotty:
    After that, tell him your PokerStars userid is AustinKearns and you'll transfer him $10K via your PokerStars account.
    ROFL. I guess you saw this guy, eh Scotty? What an embarrassment to poker. I had the dubious privilege of playing 30/60 with him a day or two after his victory, and he was trying to get me to play 100/200 with him. I told him my bankroll isn't big enough to play that game, which meant that his sure as hell isn't, either. He didn't seem to understand. He will blow through that 40K or whatever it was in no time at all.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • LOL Great work Sloth. Should come up with something that he should send you before you will send him your driver's licence and passport.