Small Blind Raises to 4 dollars
Big Blind calls with pocket 2's

6 players see a flop

Q 2 9

Small Blind a.k.a. Orginal raiser checks
Big Blind a.k.a my friend with pocket 2's bets
MP raises to 4 dollars
Folds around to original raiser who is big blind calls 4 dollars
Big Blind re-raises to 6 dollars (friend with a set of 2's)
MP who raised the flop say's "Okay, i'll just call"
Original raiser a.k.a. small blind folds

Turn card is a Q
Big Blind who now has a fullhouse bets $5.00
MP who said "Okay, i'll just call" makes a raise to $10.00
Big Blind now say's "Okay, now I will just call"

River card is a meaningless K
Big Blind checks his fullhouse
MP bets $5.00
Big Blind calls $5.00

SHOWDOWN

SMALL BLIND WHO FOLDED AFTER THE FLOP HAD JJ
BIG BLIND HAD 222QQ
MP WINS THE HAND WITH QQQ99

I think my buddy played this right, good read on the turn not to re-raise, he couldn't stop laughing at this hand, but I told him that it was a solid play, most people get married to a set.

Comments

• Not 3 betting the turn is a crime against humanity.
  • Why would he 3 bet and lose $5.00 more dollars on a perfect read that his villian had Q9 to begin with.
    I think calling a raise was sufficient, because if he 3 bet, it would get capped. Remember my buddy has only one out remaining and that is the case 2
  • Why would he 3 bet and lose $5.00 more dollars on a perfect read that his villian had Q9 to begin with.

You answered the question yourself. Poker is a game of imperfect information, and as such, 3 betting is a must. Results don't matter.
  • As much as I hate to say it I agree with Scoob. I raise until it hurts with the 2nd best hand. If it's capped I maybe call the river I maybe lose far more than $5.00. With a boat I very rarely will check call unless there's 2 pair on the board and I have the bullshit end.
  • That's just insane! Why would you not just check/call to the nuts? Like the guy on that commerical say's "SAVE YOUR MONEY"
  • If it's capped I maybe call the river I maybe lose far more than $5.00.

FWIW, yes if the turn comes backed capped, I'm probably more apt to flat call river (especially considering the ugly river card in this case). I'm far more apt to think my opponent is on Qx here than either Q9, QQ or 99.
  • djalikool wrote:
    That's just insane! Why would you not just check/call to the nuts? Like the guy on that commerical say's "SAVE YOUR MONEY"

I lost a buy-in last night when my bottom set made a boat on the turn.

And I'd do it again in a second. I don't believe in monsters under the bed.
  • Problem with this story:

You don't say anything about a read.

If I have a boat, I'm raising, re-raising, and capping as much as possible...

Which is how I lost $50 of profit in Brantford last time with JJ on a board of QQQ94

Mark
  • Well the read was pretty obvious when he said "okay, i'll just call" on the raise from the flop....that means 2 pair, and he put my buddy on a set right away. Then the 2nd Q shows up on the Turn, buddy bets, and then gets raised...obvious he has a better fullhouse. Don't need to be einstein to figure that out.....I don't know why you guys are saying RE-RAISE. Only one out left in the deck and that is a 2!

Easy to get away from the hand with a check/call
  • Don't need to be einstein to figure that out.....I don't know why you guys are saying RE-RAISE.

I wasn't aware your buddy Einstein played the 2-5 tables at Brantford. If his read was as perfect as you say, he shouldn't be calling down, he should be folding the turn. After all, he KNEW he was drawing to 1 out.
  • At a 2/5 table the other dude could easily have Q x there and be betting out. And yes last time I checked einstein needed 10 hours sleep so he probably wouldn't be at a 2/5 table very long. I lose more than $5 there. I raise him on the turn. Believe me I get money in the pot with a boat. If the other guy had a bigger set and hit the boat oh well. If he had Q 9 or Q2 or kq OH WELL
  • djalikool wrote:
    That's just insane!  Why would you not just check/call to the nuts?  Like the guy on that commerical say's "SAVE YOUR MONEY"

btw buddy didnt' have the nuts. Q9 isn't the nuts. QQ would be the nuts, QK would be next. If you are afraid of running into the nuts every hand quit playing poker..... oh wait a sec, you have. You will very rarely have the nuts and I'm very rarely sure my opponent does either. Like morty said, don't be afraid of monsters under the bed.
  • This post wasn't as fun as I had hoped.
  • Tie Twist wrote:
    This post wasn't as fun as I had hoped.

Seems to me you have a tough time with people having a different opinion than you.

I have played the 2/5 at Brantford and there is certainly no such thing as a perfect read in that game. You're getting shown AQ, KQ, whateever there alot of the time.

You're friend(you?) played it scared.

It's all fine and good to pat yourself on the back for losing the minimum, but it can't be used to justify an obviously -ev play.

Cheers
  • You must be referring to the arguement with the group of experts on here that think that all SNG players get more 3rds than firsts, even the best ones.

I can't beleive successful players of poker are that mathematically challenged.

Other than that, I can't recall any issues.

My jab about the pocket 22 thread was in jest as I forgot for a moment that most of you are tight asses with no sense of humour.
  • i'm going back to what was said earlier... there is no way you can know that MP has Q9 with the information the the guy with the set (BB) got on the flop... BB bet, MP raises, BB re raises, MP calls... that doesn't look in any way like top 2 pair, it looks like KQ or QJ maybe even AQ (except he should OR with that hand)... as far as i'm concerned this guy has Q with a medium kicker, top 2 pair should be capping on this flop, because of the potential straight draw (and maybe flush draw since suits aren't mentioned) the turn comes down a Q and BB makes a boat... his first thought should be CHA CHING!!! and it's easy from there, you are getting as many bets in that pot as you can before showdown. really this "read" that BB had on MP being correct was a fluke, and more often than not BB is not making as much money as possible in this pot.