Any suggestions on how to play this? Trips on a scary board.

Full Tilt Poker Game #1046196440: Table Wengert - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em

Seat 1: Tutchkin ($49.25)
Seat 2: poontdog ($47.60)
Seat 3: Kvakk kvakk ($59.90)
Seat 4: Iwanna ($50.70)
Seat 5: knak ($50)
Seat 6: weisse_hai ($17.75)
Seat 7: Mollys Moby ($58.90)
Seat 8: BigChrisEl ($50.70)
Seat 9: misjudged ($14.45)
weisse_hai posts the small blind of $0.25
Mollys Moby posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #4

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BigChrisEl [Jh Jc]
BigChrisEl raises to $2
misjudged folds
Tutchkin folds
poontdog calls $2  <---- Loose player, limpers into a lot of pots and then folds
Kvakk kvakk folds
Iwanna folds
weisse_hai folds
Mollys Moby calls $1.50 <---- No read on this player, limped with A-Q once and chopped when an Ace fell. They seem to be solid but a bit passive.

*** FLOP *** [Jd Qc Kh]

Suggestions?

Mollys Moby checks
BigChrisEl bets $6
poontdog folds
Mollys Moby calls $6

*** TURN *** [Jd Qc Kh] [4h]

Mollys Moby checks
BigChrisEl bets $6
Mollys Moby calls $6

*** RIVER *** [Jd Qc Kh 4h] [Kc]

Mollys Moby checks

Suggestions? Check or Bet?

Comments

• I would expect you are being called by someone with a weak king. Or a genius slowplaying a KJ, KQ, QQ, KK, 44, T9 or AT. I would expect KK or QQ to re-raise preflop. I'm discounting K4 but who knows?

You bet the flop strongly to make a chaser pay. No prob.

The turn bet was a bit weak but I guess you feared a made hand. And you didn't get raised so I'm not convinced her hand is much better than top pr or 2pr.

I'm guessing she checked the river as you didn't say. Again a sign of weakness from her. I'd bet here (half pot?) as you are so likely best and many 2nd best hands call. I'm thinking straights and trips. There's a risk you'll get CRd but I'm not convinced that means you are beat and she hasn't really shown any aggression here. There are four hands that beat you (ok five but only 2 likely ones) against several that could plausibly call. If I had to guess, I'd say she had KT.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    I would expect you are being called by someone with a weak king. Or a genius slowplaying a KJ, KQ, QQ, KK, 44, T9 or AT. I would expect KK or QQ to re-raise preflop. I'm discounting K4 but who knows?

You bet the flop strongly to make a chaser pay. No prob.

The turn bet was a bit weak but I guess you feared a made hand. And you didn't get raised so I'm not convinced her hand is much better than top pr or 2pr.

I'm guessing she checked the river as you didn't say. Again a sign of weakness from her. I'd bet here (half pot?) as you are so likely best and many 2nd best hands call. I'm thinking straights and trips. There's a risk you'll get CRd but I'm not convinced that means you are beat and she hasn't really shown any aggression here. There are four hands that beat you (only 2 likely ones) against several that could plausibly call. If I had to guess, I'd say she had KT.

Yeah they did check the river.

There were a few hands I was putting them on, and by the turn I figured I was a head and was trying to get them to stay.

However  K-Q would cause me serious problems on the river and I thought there was a possibility that they could have that, so even thought I made the full house on the river I was still not totally happy with the hand.
  • agreed but i'd expect KQ to be played more strongly. KJ too (much less likely given your JJ). hard to say if you don't know the player.

in the long run, i'd say you make more by betting and risking a CR than by letting a good but 2nd best hand go to showdown for free. would i call a CR here? 'it depends'
  • I'm betting here.
    The only thing that I am worried about is KK, QQ or KQ.

If raised, I'm allin cause I doubt from the play that the above hands were there.
    My suspicion is Molly hit her str8.

Hobbes
  • I bet out, and I probably have popped the turn for more to figure out where I was at. The straight call from Molly seems suspicious but even if she had TT she may have figured her straight was a winner if she hit. You may have been raising with AK or AQ. I much prefer the way your hand played out than the set of 6's I posted since you didn't get raised back at. With the boat on the river I bet 3/4 of the pot and call an all in if it happens.
  • Okay, I'm the coward here, I would have checked. I'm thinking she's on a weak King here, and no need to be tossing more into the pot. Turn bet could have been made stronger.

oopss, sorry, misread your hole cards. (been doing that alot today, not a good day)

1/2pot bet. If she has it she'll come over teh top on you. If not, she'll bail.
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    1/2pot bet.  If she has it she'll come over teh top on you.  If not, she'll bail.
    you realize, if she goes all-in, he'll be getting around 4-1 on his money for a call. pretty hard to lay down in that case.

if you intend to fold to a raise, i'm not sure how much you'd bet in this case.
  • The rest of the hand:

*** RIVER *** [Jd Qc Kh 4h] [Kc]

Mollys Moby checks

BigChrisEl bets $15

Mollys Moby calls $15

*** SHOW DOWN ***

BigChrisEl shows [Jh Jc] (a full house, Jacks full of Kings)

Mollys Moby mucks

BigChrisEl wins the pot ($57.25) with a full house, Jacks full of Kings

*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $60.25 | Rake $3

Board: [Jd Qc Kh 4h Kc]

Seat 1: Tutchkin didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 2: poontdog folded on the Flop
    Seat 3: Kvakk kvakk didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 4: Iwanna (button) didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 5: knak is sitting out
    Seat 6: weisse_hai (small blind) folded before the Flop

Seat 7: Mollys Moby (big blind) mucked [As Kd] - three of a kind, Kings

Seat 8: BigChrisEl showed [Jh Jc] and won ($57.25) with a full house, Jacks full of Kings

AK was one of the hands I put him on, so I was glad my read was correct. I was really troubled because KQ or A-10 were other possible hands and the second made it a lock for me against A-K and A-10 but just lost me the pot against K-Q
  • BAM!!!

Nice read, Chris. Just don't start that crap during league games!!
    :D
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    BAM!!!

Nice read, Chris.   Just don't start that crap during league games!!
    :D

The funny thing about this hand was I decided that I was going to leave just as the blinds were going to come around; I picked this hand UTG and played it. As soon as I won the hand I left the table, so it was kind of a hit and run.
  • Without looking at the other posts;
    I don't find the board that scary, I feel like I am ahead here. The guys has been a total calling station through the whole hand and has given you no reason to believe he started off with KK, QQ, KQ or KJ. Hey if has K4 then its just going to cost you. A $32 pot I would probably throw out $10-$15 on the river hoping for a call. If he moves in then my chips hit the pot before his. If I'm beat, tough luck, I reload. Your read says he is solid but passive which doesn't give me much. You mean TP?

After reading the results

nh
  • STR82ACE wrote:
    BAM!!!
    I'm sure you meant BAMMMMMMM!!!!tm

NH
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    STR82ACE wrote:
    BAM!!!
    I'm sure you meant BAMMMMMMM!!!!tm

NH

Greg, when was the last time you had THAT many M's?? :D j/k
  • Hi, (I formulated this advice before I read the results, so you know).

Please bet more on the turn next time. Your bet is too weak.

As played I'd push the river and hope a King calls. After all this *is* only .25/.5 NL. His play looks like a King or a draw and you're probably not getting any more money out of a draw at this level anyways. (Checking and hoping he bluffs is an alternative but people often just aren't aggressive enough at this level) Most players at this level can't get away from Kx here. If he has a higher full house go broke.

Ryan