flop a set on a scarey board.

Do you bail here or do you pay off the guy..... no reads as the table just started filling.

alo777 Posted Small Blind $1.00
ULikeThat Posted Big Blind $2.00
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (6s, 6c)
random Calls $2.00
rayray123 Calls $2.00
Acidjoe Calls $2.00
pokergolf69 All In for $3.00
Valo777 Calls $2.00
ULikeThat Folds
random Calls $1.00
rayray123 Calls $1.00
Acidjoe Calls $1.00
Dealing Flop (6d,7d,5s)
Valo777 Checks
random Bets $2.00
rayray123 Raised to $4.00
Acidjoe Raised to $6.00
Valo777 Folds
random Calls $4.00
rayray123 Raised to $8.00 <
i guess this should have told me to bail but I did the check call routine.
Acidjoe Calls $2.00
random Calls $2.00
Dealing Turn (Js)
random Checks
rayray123 Bets $4.00
Acidjoe Calls $4.00
random Calls $4.00
Dealing River (Ah)
random Checks
rayray123 Bets $4.00
Acidjoe Calls $4.00
random Calls $4.00
rayray123 has (8h, 9s)
Acidjoe has (6s, 6c)
random has (6h, As)
pokergolf69 has (Kh, Jc)
rayray123 Wins $16.22 from pot 1 with : Nine High Straight
rayray123 Wins $45.78 from pot 2 with : Nine High Straight

Comments

• Don't be looking for reasons to fold sets. I'd need a ridiculous read that he's super passive post-flop to not raise the turn.

You have boat outs, so folding isn't an option, and when you get to the river, folding a set for one bet is a crime given the big pot.

I'm not giving people credit for straight/flushes unless the board gets even scarier (4 flush/straight) or they're the most passive post-flop players in the world.

And if you think the other player behind you is particularly horrible (as is the case here it seems), it might be a good spot to not raise and just call and drive him out of the pot, given he'll overcall with ridiculously weak hands (or so it seems).
  • Aaa was about to make a post thinking it was NL. Ya I agree with Scooby, you got lots of outs for the boat so you definitly shouldnt fold it on the flop or really turn, river perhaps... but thats still pretty damn hard.
  • as the table is just filling I would be inclined to let this hand go right at the spot you noted should have been a warning. For the first two or three laps I am quite content to let other players pay for information I can use later rather than paying for that information myself.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • I wasn't really looking for a reason to fold at the time. It's just been lately I've been so out flopped and don't hit or have a large draw top pair with nut flush draw when I know my top pair isn't good. After the fact when I reviewed it I wondered if I should have saved myself the 2 big bets. I know I have the boat out which I didn't hit. Basically I had been playing 3 handed when poof we all of a sudden had 9 players and this was the 3rd or 4th hand being almost full. Pay the guy off I guess which is what I did.
  • To paraphrase Harrington, you SHOULD go broke with a set. Or something like that.

Since no 3 diamond landed, I would be pounding this pot.

Johnnie
  • There's no way I'd be pounding this pot - 89 is a hand I could easily see an opponent holding. Trip 6's are good, but not great on this flop.

Joe, I wouldn't play it any different - check call. Look at the other hands that called to the river (A6 & KJ!) with those types of hands you can't fold, but with the scary flop I definitely see this hand to the end while trying to minimize any potential loss to a straight.
  • I don't play a lot of limit anymore but this looks fine. You can't bail to the 4bet... you're getting odds to call and fill up anyway. Plus, he may not have a straight or higher set. Folding anywhere on the flop there would be horrendous. I'm sure a lot of people would raise the turn but I like the call in most cases (opponent dependent, of course).

Ryan