"Scalping" v. "Ethics"

At Compuease's suggestion, I thought I would start a thread about "scalping" tickets. Whether it be to sporting events, poker tournies, concerts, etc.

What do you folks think about the practice, in general?

Ever bought seats? Sold at a premium?

Is it worse when it is a Corporate re-seller, as opposed to the guy with a stack of tix outside the venue?

Do you reserve your venom for event hosts that could curb the problem, but choose not to bother?

What does this community think about it?

Comments

• first...... before the war...
  • I think its fine...

If people for whatever reason (timing, finances, laziness) don't manage to get ticket's on time but still want to attend, then damn right, someone should be making money off them

Not saying if it's right or wrong, but I can see how it happens.

In a way, its almost a good thing scalpers exist, sure, you might have to pay a few extra bucks, but often, paying a few extra dollars is better than totally missing that event whether it be a concert, sporting event or poker tournament *cough*
  • compuease wrote: »
    first...... before the war...

Not fair . . . you knew it was coming. :D

Personally never purchased from a re-seller. If I want to go to an event, I make sure I can get a ticket, or I do not bother. Sorry, that is not entirely true. My brother and I bought 500 level seats off a guy outside the Dome one time, and got to watch Dave Stieb almost throw a perfect game against the Yankees . . . FUCK ROBERTO KELLY.
    That said, we got the seats for less than face, as the game had already started (missed the first inning).

I have sold tickets to members of this site, never for a mark-up. No mark-up needed as the seats were giveaways through work related companies. Always a win-win, as the buyer gets game seats, and I get some cash.

I tend to feel more harshly towards venues that have policies that allow it to run rampant, as in the case of Fallsview, or TicketMaster, but that is just me . . .
  • costanza wrote: »
    If people for whatever reason (timing, finances, laziness) don't manage to get ticket's on time but still want to attend, then damn right, someone should be making money off them

the hell? o.O

Anyway, blame the player, don't blame the game
  • bump -- for hoping government employees aren't scalping poker tickets
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    bump -- for hoping government employees aren't scalping poker tickets

I love you man . . . no homo. :o

Also, for those who would rail against people buying several tickets to a tournament event, does it matter if they then offer those tickets up in satellite tournies? The hosts end up deriving a certain amount of "benefit", if not necessarily a direct profit from that type of thing. I see nothing wrong with it myself. The sale dates for these, and most other types of event s are well publicized or readily available with a minimal amount of effort.
  • I don't see how some people don't understand where scotty is coming from. Its one thing to buy a ticket and plan to use it but are willing to sell it at a markup to make money as that is the point of playing in tournaments anyways. Its another to intentionally go and buy a mass amount of tickets wait for it to sell out then go ahead to basically dangle them in front of people who didn't get a chance to buy one yet. Just because you can do it doesn't make it right. However I know bitching about it won't do anything so Ive kept quiet on the matter, but don't understand how people don't get where scott is coming from here.
    bump -- for hoping government employees aren't scalping poker tickets

Fallsview....? the member that is...
  • I'm not a fan of scalping but when it's sold out and you want to attend, what other choice is there? In the case of Fallsview, the whole system enables scalpers where anywhere else just let's you buy one ticket and it's non transferable. I paid $1180 for my 1k entry but feel a lot better about it than the guys that will pay $1500+++
  • Milo wrote: »
    Personally never purchased from a re-seller. If I want to go to an event, I make sure I can get a ticket, or I do not bother. Sorry, that is not entirely true. My brother and I bought 500 level seats off a guy outside the Dome one time, and got to watch Dave Stieb almost throw a perfect game against the Yankees . . . FUCK ROBERTO KELLY.
    That said, we got the seats for less than face, as the game had already started (missed the first inning).
    Ditto here only once, however that was in Carolina game 2 I think it was in May, 2002. Myself, my son and 2 of his friends made the drive down on the Saturday night for the Sunday game. We had figured it would be no problem getting tickets as game 1 had not sold out or even come close. I think we left Milton around 4 in the afternoon, planning on getting there in time for a round of golf on the Sunday morning. The farther down we got we realized that maybe a lot of Ontarions were copying us. It was a steady stream on Ont plates on the road... Quite amazing.. Got there like 5am, grabbed a couple of hours of rest, played 18 holes, headed over to find the arena parking lot packed with Canucks partying, playing road hockey, and generally doing what tailgating is meant to be for.. It was nuts, we did finally get tickets at somewhat of a premium, don't recall what, but it was still cheaper than face in Toronto.
    Carolina even setup a giant screen in the parking lot so those that didn't get in could party and watch outside.. I think there were even more leaf fans there that there are for Buffalo games when Toronto is playing there.
    Cujo was great and Alan MacAulay scored with just a few seconds left to send it to O/T before Carolina won it 2-1. Can't believe that was 10 years ago now. The noise was deafining with all the leaf chants, much louder than here since these were the real fans that sucked it up and made the 12-13 hr drive.... good times... I digress...
  • No one is arguing that paying a premium to play a poker tournament is stupid. The problem is that he's directing his 'disappointment' towards the wrong people. The people selling the tickets at a mark up, aren't the ones that unnecessary created this market.

The problem begins and ends with the poker room. If they allow this to happen, and you don't agree with it, then don't support them. Sure this tournament could be soft....but newsflash, most $1k live tournaments are soft.

Fallsview is to blame for all this. To me, the solution seems rather simple....just add another day 1 to the $1k. If people are buying a $1k ticket for $1.5k...the demand is clearly high enough where you can add another day. The mark up of all the scalper tickets will magically decrease.
  • I might be able to see the side of scalping, but I am talking about him being a idiot and not buying the seat when they were on sale for months and their was warning that it will sell out.

Like come on, you're a big time player FFS, you plan these big tournaments out in advance and set the funds aside. Him bitching cause he did not do this is what I have a problem with.

Like I said everything else I can probs agree with you Scotty.:)
  • Nice Ninja moves, comp.
    Nice Ninja moves, comp.

still got the moves huh?
    Nice Ninja moves, comp.

oh, 2 lines oh nooooooo and they were explaining I was not talking about scalping.:rolleyes2:.

Where is Dr. tyore when you need him>:D.

Scotty is gonna see the message anyway so no big deal.
  • don't be a dick philli....:bs: Dr Tyore and I are tight...
    don't be a dick philli....:bs: Dr Tyore and I are tight...

Me agreeing is being a dick? WOW

I am just saying what is right. More like you and Milo being a dick if anything, I make a sarcastic joke and agree, yet you want to start shit? This is what I have a problem with you on here, just stop, you're making yourself look like a fraud.

If I am a dick or a asshole for that, than oh well I am, don't like it, tough beans.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Me agreeing is being a dick? WOW

I am just saying what is right.

If I am a dick or a asshole for that, than oh well I am, don't like it, tough beans.

fyp.. :) lighten up young man..
  • So Philli are you for or against scalping? And in what context?
  • For the record I generally have no real issue with scalping however what Fallsview is doing is just scandalous.... Especially when they could have easily avoided it.
    fyp.. :) lighten up young man..

LOL, ole timer:p

I am proud to be one, and I have earned the right over the years to be one.
    I am lighten up, I made a promise to be more vocal about scammer's, fraud's, discriminator's and stupidity this year, I have backed off here and there and I feel ugh about it. ( not just on this forum for the record).

It's not 1 single person on here or anything just to let ya's know, I hate all the above equally no matter where I am.:)

Enough talk about it, I was just pointing out the op stupidity and that's that.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    scammer's, fraud's, discriminator's and stupidity
    which one am I?
    . Sorry, that is not entirely true. My brother and I bought 500 level seats off a guy outside the Dome one time, and got to watch Dave Stieb almost throw a perfect game against the Yankees . . . FUCK ROBERTO KELLY.

So ironic. I took my girlfriend to Boston that weekend and that very night I had paid double face value for 2 of the shittiest tickets available at Fenway Park. We had originally wanted to go to the Sunday afternoon game but it was Yaz day (Carl Yastremski's number being retired) and scalpers were asking for $200 for the same shitty seats. :o

I buy marked up tickets whenever I go to Habs games unless I get lucky enough to hit the lottery that is on-line ticket sales (it has happened a couple times). It's about supply and demand. I like that sites now have some limits on ticket purchases and anti-bot measures but for the most part my purchases aren't through professional scalpers.

Also strangely enough I am currently considering my first foray into scalping as I have some Masters practice round tickets that I have found are quite valued combined with a major purchase I want to make (see Muddguts chips).

The moral dilemma begins.
    So Philli are you for or against scalping? And in what context?

YAY Comp! This is more like it, do it honestly and I will still make you $$$$.;)

Well depends on the situation, it is fallsview's fault for allowing this to happen, which I see you posted already, if their is a valid reason you have to sell a ticket than no problem, if you buy a tonne like in this case of fallsview tournaments to just sell them or rip people off, than no.:)
  • How do some people always manage to pick the incorrect homonym...I mean, EVERY time...odds are you would get it right 33-50% of the time by pure chance, no?
  • I have no problem with it. It's a case of whether or not you believe in a free market. What I can't stand is someone who is against scalping and yet believes that the government should keep its hands out of the economy.

I've bought scalpers before. Once for the Habs at Leafs and once for Eric Clapton at MLG and I don't feel I got ripped off.
    How do some people always manage to pick the incorrect homonym...I mean, EVERY time...odds are you would get it right 33-50% of the time by pure chance, no?

I c wat you did their.
  • I've seen the good and the bad side of scalping. In all honesty, it's all about who you deal with.

I went to Boston about 10 years ago... damn, I feel old now... Anyhow, I wanted to check out a Bruins game while I was there so I went to the Fleet Center and bought a ticket off a guy. There were about 6-8 guys clearly scalping tickets. Went with the least shady looking/acting one of the bunch and got a seat about 10 rows up for $25 under the regular price. Then, as I sat down, the lady beside me asks how much the scalper charged me. I was very confused until she told me they had sold him the ticket for $10 as her husband was unable to come to the game and it paid for the kids popcorn. Damn.

My cousin, being the self proclaimed biggest Flyers fan and most knowledgable of all hockey fans, flew to Philly for Game 6 of the Finals against Chicago (you know, the one they lost when Kane put one in from basically a behind the goal line shot). He, in his infinite wisdom, buys tickets for him and his son from a scalper. Yeah, Mr. Knows Everything got taken. I still smile about it. The part that pisses me off is that the grandaughter of the Flyers owner ended up giving him free tickets because his kid was crying. What a fuckin' luckbox.
  • is this real life?
  • No one is arguing that paying a premium to play a poker tournament is stupid. The problem is that he's directing his 'disappointment' towards the wrong people. The people selling the tickets at a mark up, aren't the ones that unnecessary created this market.

The problem begins and ends with the poker room. If they allow this to happen, and you don't agree with it, then don't support them. Sure this tournament could be soft....but newsflash, most $1k live tournaments are soft.

Fallsview is to blame for all this. To me, the solution seems rather simple....just add another day 1 to the $1k. If people are buying a $1k ticket for $1.5k...the demand is clearly high enough where you can add another day. The mark up of all the scalper tickets will magically decrease.

I hear this "just add another day 1" a lot.

It seems rather simple doesn't it? Why don't both the BCPC's and Fallsview do this? Another approx $60,000 in reg fees for just extending the schedule 1 day?

They hate money? Too lazy? They can clearly get the players right?

Or.....Maybe there is more to it than that. What players often tend to forget is that there is a whole business end to the industry too. A lot of things "could be better" but there has to be profits to have events at all. It sometimes seems so odd that people who's logic and success at the felts are based so much around +EV decisions and margins overlook or are so stubborn about this. These people also do a little math...Moving on...

I am really on the fence. I agree it's kinda a slap in the face when you look at it terms of players trying to take money of their peers...wait! Isn't that kinda what happens every time we sit at the felt? It's "friendly" though right?

Don't we all have at least a few in the crowd that are better rolled than others and can take more chances? The risk is still theirs too though right?

Edge: Player has money to do it, player has ambition to act and get the seats fast. Player knows buyer will make poor decision in purchasing, waiting etc.

At the table...Players has the money to do it. (bluff, bully, etc.) Player has ambition to make a strong move first. player knows opponent might make a poor decision and call

Anybody ever buy a seat off a player that was down on his luck and had to dump one he or she won, or just needed money more than a shot?

Ethically, did you also feel that he or she had better take the face value?

This is a very tricky subject and the fault lies in Fallsview's policies. The flip side of the coin is that the pot is juicy and players don't have to gamble on attendance. If the scalpers ever get stuck and history shows that sooner or later they will, it's gonna be even juicier...