My best night ever...

Well after months (almost a year in fact), I finally can post an actual big money win in my on line poker excursions.

On last night's (I write this a about 3 am having just finished) $10 pot limit hold'em event on stars, not only did I make the final table (my first ever on anything bigger than a $3 tourney), I played all the way until there were 3 of us left, since we were all about equal chip count we agreed to a chop of the final prize total. I walked away with a cool $966 in USA dollars. My biggest win ever on line.

Whew what fun and how exhilarating it feels to actually have the opportunity to chop a prize pool.

Of course it being 3 a.m. I am off to bed (where my wife will beat me for staying up so late). But I will post some of the more interesting hands tomorrow including the bad beat I played on another player just before we hit the actual money round. I felt bad but not to bad, as I had a good hand pref lop but got a lucky river.

Good night all! I will speak more on this tomorrow.

Over out and exhausted

Comments

• Hey, congrats garro!!

Looking forward to hearing about a few of the memorable hands. :)

ScottyZ
  • Good job.
  • Gratz man, I think I really need to look into Poker Stars for my online play.
  • Nicely done, garro. It is kinda fun to make a deal at the end of a tournament, and not just because that means you made some money. It's another part of poker that players don't get to experience on a regular basis, so it's interesting.

Now, on to what you should do with the cash. In the spirit of 'parlaying'--which I'm a big believer in--would you consider playing in either of the WCOOP events this weekend? It's a risk, but with risk comes reward. Occasionally.

Or maybe a Sunday $215? I always like to 'treat myself' after a big addition to my bankroll.... usually with more poker. ;)

Regardless, congratulations, and I look forward to seeing some hands from the big win!

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Despite all_aces' enthusiasm for taking a big shot at a tourney, I'd recommend taking your time and not moving up too quickly in limits/buy-ins. If you're used to mostly playing $5 SNG's and $10 multi's, I think you should avoid zipping straight into a $200 tournament.

Sure, players should move up in limits when they feel the time is right to do so in terms of bankroll and skill level, but I'd recommend that *IF* (that's a very big if) you want to move up in limits, you have a go more in the range of $20 or $30 SNG's, or try $10 + Rebuys, $30 or $50 multi's to begin with. Or even smaller steps. If you're considering moving up in limits, take your time, make sure you are having reasonably long term success at the new level(s), and move up gradually.

If the $1K you just won represents most of your poker bankroll, I'd strongly recommend against playing a buy-in as high as $200. It's just too high of a percentage of your bankroll to risk in one shot, especially if you're not generally familiar with playing in large buy-in tourneys.

ScottyZ
  • Lol, we make a fine 'good cop/bad cop' team. You can almost picture a cartoon version of me over one shoulder with horns saying "do it" and you over the other with a halo saying "it's probably a bad idea". ;)

FWIW, it probably is a bad idea. I just get carried away sometimes...

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Actually I am trying to win my way in to a few events using my FPP.

I have over 2000 that I have never used so I am trying to satellite my way in.

BTW I just posted to a new thread a write-up of my night, enjoy ;).
  • Lol, we make a fine 'good cop/bad cop' team.

That's for sure. I'm ceratin the right thing to do is somewhere between what we each said. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • 1k online nice win garro. Now as for the money.......

When i hit a nice payday like that. the first thing i always consider, and most times do..is take a trip. Vegas usually....

There ever so fun on everyone elses money.
  • Good for you, and congrats on making it to the final table, thats a pretty big payout.