so i just made my first foray into the real money side of online poker

ive been semi-lurking on this site for a while, and consider myself probably an average to decent home player (at least among the guys i play with). i figured i would post my first voyage into real money online considering the lack of posts. and who knows, maybe it might induce some nostalgia from some of the veterans here.

ive been playing play money partypoker for a long time now, and ive become disenchanted by the recklessness, since i try to use it as a bit of practice for my home games. and on top of that, my buddies are always off to rama to play blackjack or roulette (they havent mustered up the courage to play poker either), and im not particularily fond of either game (i like the horses at montreal though, very relaxing).

so i thought id try my hand at earning some money

i went into a play money single tournament like i generally do when im looking for something to kill time, but this time i told myself id deposit if i won. sure enough, i got a few good breaks (had to go all-in once with kings), and half an hour later i was playing for real.

it was more nerve-racking than id anticipated. especially since ive played a lot of home games. i guess it was the thought of playing against faceless numbers that intimidated me.

my first foray wasnt that great. i decided to hit familiar territory: a 5+1 single table tourny. after some really cold cards and some bad playing/luck (i hit two pair and raised a good amount, and some guy called with low pair and hit another. i folded after the river, but someone else called and i saw his set. and another time i couldnt scare a guy out of a ragged flop and he caught an ace on the river to top my kings) i finished 6th and was down 6 bucks.

so, sucking up the loss, i went to a 0.5/1 table to try to lessen the sting. i dont play a terrible amount of limit, but that wasnt on my mind when i started. i was just trying to get that '25' under my name to change to a '31'.

after a dozen or so hands it wasnt looking good, esp. with an attempted bluff that wasnt executed well (need to read super/system's limit section now), but then i got lucky and caught a two pair, kings and eights, on BB. considering it was 0.5/1, a 16 dollar hand wasnt shabby at all.

my total went up to 33.50 and i was thanking my lucky stars.

but then i was dealt J:club: K:club:, and with 5 players, you know, i had to do it. i was worried though, about losing my precious 2.50 and was thankfully shown a completely useless flop and got the hell out of there.

so at the end i was up 2 bucks. which isnt of any use, but is better than being down. i might even enter the $1 newbie tournament tomorrow, and im definitely up for the newbie freeroll.

ive got a pretty big home game tomorrow so i might be too pokered out for some more .5/1 but who knows. ill let you all know if anything awesome happens.

anyway, wish me luck. i think ill need it.

Comments

• If you've made your first money despoit, definately go for the freeroll! MTT's are fun! :)
  • if you want to play for REAL MONEY with no deposit risk or giving your credit card info away, you can join these sites. You can mention Tilter as a referal if you'd like:
    www.royalvegaspoker.com (FREE $10, no Credit Card or deposit required)
    www.7sultanspoker.com (FREE $10, no Credit Card or deposit required)
    www.colosseumpoker.com (FREE $10, no Credit Card or deposit required)
    www.gamingclubpoker.com (FREE $15, no Credit Card or deposit required)
    www.absolutepoker.com (e-mail support with $10 FREE MONEY and ask for the free $10)
  • Also, congrats on the Positive side of poker. I've been enjoying it for a couple months :)
  • ive been playing play money partypoker for a long time now, and ive become disenchanted by the recklessness, since i try to use it as a bit of practice for my home games

I got good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that people are pretty much just as reckless with real money (in low limit games) as play money. Here's the good news: People are pretty much reckless with real money in low limit games as play money.

If you wanna play online poker and are expecting higher quality play, you will be in for a shock.
    and another time i couldnt scare a guy out of a ragged flop and he caught an ace on the river to top my kings) i finished 6th and was down 6 bucks

Welcome to party poker. Guys will chase the ace forever.
    after a dozen or so hands it wasnt looking good, esp. with an attempted bluff that wasnt executed well (need to read super/system's limit section now),

Super System isn't going to get you very far in microlimit poker. You are better off reading Lee Jones and leave Sklansky until yer playing online small limit (3/6+). The players in microlimit play thier cards irrespective of actions the other players take around then. So bluffing and fancy plays are pretty useless..

Oh yeah.. the $5+1 at party is a killer vig (20%)...I understand the desire to keep your money risk low, but once you start feeling comfortable either move up to the $10+1 level or play Sit and Go's at another site with a smaller vig (ie Pacific Poker).
  • Enjoy the roller coaster that is poker. lol Good luck to you. And those freerolls are great practice too. I still play lots.