Rebuy Tourney: Hand 16, The Elimination Hand

Notice who finished ahead of the initial chip leader who had over $2 Million in chips.

I got a lot of really nice comments along the way from the rail. The one that really nails my final table experience was during this, my final hand.

TUFFTURF [observer] said, "u made 2k more by folding"

For a rock like me, there can be no sweeter victory. :cool:

Thanks SO SO much to everyone for all of your positive comments and congratulations. And a special thanks to my biggest fan during the tourney, all_aces. (Okay, only fan, but still...) :)

ScottyZ

PokerStars Game #539437276: Tournament #1983658, Hold'em No Limit - Level XX (20000/40000) - 2004/07/12 - 03:55:44 (ET)
Table '1983658 80' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: ScottyZ (154096 in chips)
Seat 3: dkromm (1484383 in chips)
Seat 4: Workinghard (3409521 in chips)
ScottyZ: posts the ante 2000
dkromm: posts the ante 2000
Workinghard: posts the ante 2000
dkromm: posts small blind 20000
Workinghard: posts big blind 40000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScottyZ [Qs 6d]
ScottyZ: raises 112096 to 152096 and is all-in
dkromm: calls 132096
Workinghard: folds
*** FLOP *** [6s 7c 9d]
*** TURN *** [6s 7c 9d] [As]
TUFFTURF [observer] said, "u made 2k more by folding"
*** RIVER *** [6s 7c 9d As] [Kc]
ScottyZ said, "gg"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
dkromm: shows [8d Ks] (a pair of Kings)
ScottyZ: shows [Qs 6d] (a pair of Sixes)
dkromm said, "gg sir"
dkromm collected 350192 from pot
CalBears [observer] said, "gg"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 350192 | Rake 0
Board [6s 7c 9d As Kc]
Seat 2: ScottyZ (button) showed [Qs 6d] and lost with a pair of Sixes
Seat 3: dkromm (small blind) showed [8d Ks] and won (350192) with a pair of Kings
Seat 4: Workinghard (big blind) folded before Flop

Comments

• Again, you gotta do what you gotta do. Almost made it there too. Good tourney.
  • Very nicely done, Scotty. I have a question about the final table... It was obviously a great decision to let maniac bust out most of the table while you folded your way into the deep money, no doubt.

However, I'd be interested to know if there were any tough folds that you had to make to keep to this strategy. Any ATo sort of hands when it was down to 5 or 6?

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Good point. It wasn't so much that I folded a lot of very good hands. Maybe a couple of bare aces here and there when it was down to 5 or 6 players. I may have passed on a few baby pairs too.

It was much more the case that I passed on a *lot* of excellent stealing chances. For example, folded to me on the button I'd attempt a steal with any two cards a good percentage of the time under normal circumstances. Or I passed on opportunities when I might take a stab at open raising with just a bare ace on the button minus 2 at a full table.

True, my stack was short, but most of the time not *so* short that stealing the blinds was impossible.

As for your original quesiton, no, there actually weren't any memorable extremely tough folds. But I still believe I would have played *much* differently against more standard opponents in terms of stealing (or playing my own) blinds.

ScottyZ
  • It was much more the case that I passed on a *lot* of excellent stealing chances.

That's what I figured. Passing on good stealing chances is almost as hard as laying down a pretty big hand... you know it'll probably get you some chips, but at times, it's not worth the risk. I guess the bottom line is discipline. Some players make it to the final table and then feel that they have to make a lot of moves to prove that they 'belong' there. Others just get impatient, and want first place *now*. (See my terrible, ill-advised steal attempt when there were four left in the Mirage tournament on Day 5 in Vegas...)

Regards,
    all_aces