flush question

hi, had a hand at game last night player (A) hole cards 6h7h, player (B )had 8h5h, flop came Ah Qh Jh, 2 rags came at turn and river. Question is who wins the pot? Or is it a split pot? Thanx inadvance.....

Comments

• Maybe I can handle this one...

For answers to these types of basic questions, refer a poker FAQ, for example

http://conjelco.com/faq/

where you can find information such as
    Flush, five cards of the same suit, such as AJ942 of hearts. Ranked by the top card, and then by the next card, and so on for all five cards, so that AJ942 beats AJ876. Suits are not used to break ties.

In your example, the 85 wins the pot.

ScottyZ
  • thanx Scotty. I made the right call. Player (A) argued so loud and long that the pot was a split that I began to question my call. Anyway pot was given to player (B).
  • That's good to hear that you didn't get bullied by someone who didn't know the rules. I think the easiest way to handle this kind fo thing is:

(a) If it's a friendly game with regulars just make a ruling one way and take note of the specifics (size of the pot, which players are involved in the dispute). Then, find out the correct ruling later (in a book, internet or whatever) and settle it next time if the original ruling was in error.

(b) If it's more like a "public" game where the players don't really know each other, you really should designate someone (perhaps the host) *in advance* as the equivalent of a floorperson. I.e. this person will be the one to decide on and enforce the rules. Lacking this pre-arrangement, it could be decided by players voting, and I would suggest secret balloting because in a non-secret ballot, people might be intimidated by someone who is arguing strongly.

ScottyZ
  • great ideas thanx again
  • ScottyZ is correct about the ruling.
  • I can't believe anyone would even argue about this. It is such basic poker that the guy must be a REAL newbie or a bad sport to argue that a seven is higher than an eight!!!
  • Well, a reasonable argument might be that an Ace high flush ties with an Ace high flush, so that might have caused the confusion.

Plus, this is not explained well on the 53rd "hand ranking" card. :)

Try to keep in mind that something which is obvious to you (like the fact that the 8 and 7 do need to be taken into account to rank these flushes), might not be so crystal clear to beginners. Heck, there was a point in my life when I didn't know what a flush (or poker) was. I used to think that A7 and T4s were both good enough hands to call $3 with in a 3-6 game. I used to think the $5 rake at the Brantford 5-10 was beatable in the long run by a very skilled player. We all make mistakes. 8)

ScottyZ

P.S. To anyone who ever told me I should move up to 10-20, you were 100% right, and thanks for the excellent advice.
  • I'm not trying to get into a fight over this, but if you were this player and new to poker, why would you argue so long and hard that it makes others start to think, gee, he might be right. It is a pretty straightforward concept once explained. Fortunately I have not had to deal with this too many times(except when playing low games. They seem to screw people up-"but my 5 is lower than your 6!" "That may be but I'm sorry, my 6 is lower than your king")
  • if you were this player and new to poker, why would you argue so long and hard that it makes others start to think, gee, he might be right.

Because I thought I was right?

ScottyZ
  • That's where the bad sport part of my post comes in. Just because you think you are right doesn't mean you should jump up and down when more experienced players have already explained the reasons to you.
  • I guess my main concern with this whole situation is the "more experienced players" you propose may have not even be present at this game. The original poster even seemed to be unsure of the ruling himself.

The ideal thing is to have someone in charge of the rules who knows the game the best (and is acceptable to everyone in this role). Lacking this, you at least need some pre-determined protocol of how do resolve disputes. (e.g. take a quick vote, look at a poker rule book, look at a poker rules FAQ on the internet)

And lacking any of those things, get ready for plenty of arguing about the rules when the players are beginners. :)

ScottyZ
  • And lacking any of those things, get ready for plenty of arguing about the rules when the players are beginners.

And don't forget new players who are drinking! I once had to wait until a guy was sober before he could read the rules in the book!
  • I deleted a bunch of replies in this thread.

I don't think that personal slight was extreme, but I am not interested in personal comments in this part of the forum.