Beating neophytes...

Alright, I've got a bunch of friends who say they know how to play poker so I arranged a game (involves the loss of clothing...) but what would you do because pretty much all newbies who aren't playing with realy money tend to be calling stations. Especially, when the'yre calling you with like 20 to 1 odds then mangage to come over the top and beat you. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated and good for you if you followed what I'm saying, lol.

Comments

• Snoman wrote:
    Alright, I've got a bunch of friends who say they know how to play poker so I arranged a game (involves the loss of clothing...) but what would you do because pretty much all newbies who aren't playing with realy money tend to be calling stations. Especially, when the'yre calling you with like 20 to 1 odds then mangage to come over the top and beat you. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated and good for you if you followed what I'm saying, lol.

I like playing against calling stations. The variance is less than agsint maniacs and your EV can be just as high (you can play more hands). 3 rules:

1. Value bet. Value bet. VALUE BET!!!!! Every street.
    2. Don't be afraid to fold when you are obviously beat.
    3. Where do I sign up?

Keith
  • You're talking about strip poker? Are there even any decisions, sush as betting, raising, calling, etc? ("I'll see your left sock, and raise you a pair of female underpants.")

And you're not playing poker for money? You're not playing poker. Put your poker strategy books away, and just have fun.

Playing "real" poker (for money) against calling stations is no harder than simply incorportating the fact that they will call you all the time into your own game. As simple as this sounds, a lot of hotshots I've seen have trouble with this idea when moving down in limits.

Bet and raise for value only. Your implied odds are higher, so your starters (while they should still be solid) can include more drawing hands. You can play a little looser pre-flop, but not nearly as loose as them.

Don't bluff. Ever. This, and other attempts at deception, will be lost on beginners.

Don't slowplay. They *want* to call you.

Don't assume they didn't make a crazy draw-out if they suddenly come to life betting. Reserve the line of thinking "There's no way he could have chased *that* draw" for more reasonable players.

Don't bluff. It's worth saying again.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    You're talking about strip poker? Are there even any decisions, sush as betting, raising, calling, etc? ("I'll see your left sock, and raise you a pair of female underpants.")

Scotty, I don't want to hear about your female underpants.

The best way to play strip poker is for everyone to start with a certian number of chips. You play normal poker. When you bust out, you lose a piece of clothing and get a "rebuy". Otherwise you are just playing strip bingo (which can also be fun)

Keith
  • I just hope that this game of strip poker is not involving all guys...
  • Lol, no...thank god.