bad beats late in tourney

OK, I don't feel as bad discussing this now. lol This past weekend I was in a NLH $3 sat for a $215 game chip. I make it to the final 50 with about 3 times the average chip count, and 1 good hand from the leader. I lose a couple small pots and have about T25,000 left. Blinds 4000/8000 I'm in BB with AK offsuit. Calls around table to SB. SB tries to jam us with a large preflop bet. I reraise, all others fold. He's at about T36,000. He rereraises pulling me in. He had a Q 6 offsuit and outdrew me for a pair. I lost a few late ones that way, but that one still burns my ass. It's not the measly $3. It's the time investment to get that far, only to walk away short. About 3.5 hours to get nailed by a q6 draw. Finished 43rd, 12 away from an entry chip. :( That's cards. lol

Comments

• Welcome to tournament poker.. :wink: Hours of hard work wiped out by a single suckout.

Just like sklansky says.. To win a tournament, you've got to win with AK and you've also got to beat AK.. Someone forgot to tell the SB that Q6o probably isn't the hand he wants to play for 70% of his stack... especially when you consider that with 36K he may have an outside shot at coasting to the payoff)..
  • I hear ya, I just got bumped late in a tourny when I went all in vs. one caller with KK preflop, he had Ac10c. Flop came down Ks 9c 10s next two cards were clubs and I loose to his flush grrrrr. Just out of the money, of course I was severly short stacked to this guy so I couldnt raise more then he would have been willing to pay. Anyway, bad beats late in tourny's blow.

stp
  • I feel your pain, for the other person to make the bad call and get lucky... sometimes there is no justice...
  • I'm over it now. lol Part of the game. Just had to vent somewhere. :)
  • Ok im going to use this as my official venting spot. 2 1/2 hours in a free roll that pays money, Im in 2nd place with 5 people left, top 4 get paid. I have a very healthy amount of chips (67K) and a good read on the other 4 players. UTG i get KcQc, I triple the blinds to 4500...comes around to the bb who is a wild player, plays anything but I have taken him from his top spot of 120K down to where he is now at 93K. He's a nice guy and we have a lot of friendly banter between eachother. Anyway, flop comes:

6s 7c 6c
    He checks, I bet 4500
    he calls

turn 10c
    I bet 4500
    he calls

river 3d
    He bets 11K
    I go all in ....
    He calls.....
    He has already typed in sorry stp gg....
    he had 6d 7d and had flopped tight.

I got greedy i guess....

thats a bad beat story :cry:

stp
  • I wouldn't really say that was a bad beat since he only outdrew you on the flop.
  • Thank you for correcting me :roll:
  • Yeah they are always tough. His 11K raise would have been a red flag for me. I "may" have called there. Hard to say. lol Depends on the player. Easy to second guess after the fact. Thanks for sharing though.