Easiest laydown ever?

Level IV (50/100) in a Stars NL 10+1 rebuy tournament. I'm in the SB with about 10K, UTG has about 8K, LP and CO (cutoff) each have about 4K. UTG is the 'wildest' player of the four of us.

I'm dealt Ad 4d in SB. UTG calls, LP calls, CO raises 200 to 300 total, all 3 of us call. 1300 in the pot.

Flop: Ah 2s 5s. I check, UTG checks, LP bets 300, all of us call. 2500 in the pot.

Turn: 4s [Ah 2s 5s]. I check, UTG bets 1300, LP calls 1300, CO folds...

Back to me. 1300 to call into a 5100 pot.

Is this the easiest laydown ever, or do I think about playing on?

How bad was my preflop call?

What do my opponents have?

Any comments appreciated, results to follow...

Regards,
all_aces

Comments

• What do my opponents have?

possible straight? flush draw? :?: :shock: :?:

hmmm trips :cry:

:shock:
  • How bad was my preflop call?

Not that bad, I think, though I'd favour folding myself. You're getting into a hand where you have a lot of potential, and has a "wild" player in there. Plus, it's the re-buy period. ;)

However...
    Flop: Ah 2s 5s. I check, UTG checks, LP bets 300, all of us call. 2500 in the pot.

This is not your flop. I would certainly fold here. Folding on the turn is much easier. Your hand has improved to 2 pair and you don't like it. All the more reason to have released it on the flop.
    What do my opponents have?

Wildman UTG has Kh Qh, becomes desperate that his backdoor straight and flush chances have evaporated, and now thinks he can represent the actual flush that's on board. :)

LP has As Qx.

Then it comes Q on the river, check-check. 8)

ScottyZ
  • Your hand has improved to 2 pair and you don't like it. All the more reason to have released it on the flop.

Amen. Stupid damn trouble hands. I hit my hand... to a degree... and I'm still not happy. Playing these hands are going to be the death of me.

I need a diamond flop, but I don't get one. So why call the flop bet? Well, I can hit the three for a straight, and be happy with that. I can hit another ace, and be really really uncomfortable for a while. Or, I can hit a four for two pair, and hate my entire life.

I'll save the results for a bit, to see if I get any other callers... I mean replies.

Regards,
    all_aces

ps: The reason wildman was so wild is because of a huge hand we played heads-up earlier in the tournament that tilted him, I think. I raised pre-flop with ace-king and only he called. He called with low diamonds. Flop came with 2 diamonds, I bet big, he called. Turn, no diamond, I bet big, he called. Looks like a flush draw to me... River, no diamond, I bet big, he raised big, I called with ace high, and took it down.

Then he went on TILT!

So, his bet of 1300 on the turn in this 'easiest laydown ever?' hand meant almost nothing to me. LP's smooth-call, however... was another story.
  • River, no diamond, I bet big, he raised big, I called with ace high, and took it down.

Why bet? You're thinking he may have had a bad pair in addition to (or instead of) the flush draw?
    So, his bet of 1300 on the turn in this 'easiest laydown ever?' hand meant almost nothing to me. LP's smooth-call, however... was another story.

Okay, after this hint, I'm changing my guess for LP to As Xs. I ruled out that hand at first because I thought it was weird to make a wiener bet of 300 on the flop with a hand with so much potential that will *hate* a check-raise (or just a raise). But now I am thinking I might be giving players in round #4 of a $10 re-buy tournament too much credit. ;)

Also, with your new Wildman profile, I'm going to say it's a river brick and Wildman pushes all-in and LP does Balki's dance of joy and calls with the 2nd nut flush.

I still say Kh Qh though. 8)

ScottyZ
  • cant wait til results :D
  • Why bet? You're thinking he may have had a bad pair in addition to (or instead of) the flush draw?

Exactly... I didn't know for certain at the time that he had absolutely no pair. It sure looked like a flush draw to me, but I wanted him to fold some garbage pair he may have made along the way. He'd been playing decently before this hand, so it was reasonable to assume he'd be able to lay down bottom pair to a big river bet. When the flush card didn't come and he raised I was all the more certain that MHWG.
    Okay, after this hint, I'm changing my guess for LP to As Xs.

Hmmm.
    I ruled out that hand at first because I thought it was weird to make a wiener bet of 300 on the flop with a hand with so much potential that will *hate* a check-raise (or just a raise).

It is weird. A bad play to be sure IF he was holding such a hand.
    But now I am thinking I might be giving players in round #4 of a $10 re-buy tournament too much credit.

I think that this might be the case. I make the same mistake myself, often. The first hour of a Stars 10+1 rebuy tournament is like being in the poker twilight zone. People will go all-in with impunity. An example: very first hand of this same tournament, I'm dealt 99 UTG. I have 3000, having done my typical immediate rebuy. I make it 240 I think--foolishly hoping that this will be the kind of bet that might actually mean something to these rebuy maniacs. MP moves in on me for 1500 total. Button calls all-in for 1500 total. I would normally fold here in a heartbeat, but I called. Not because I was thinking 'if I lose I can just rebuy', but because I now know that that's exactly what THEY were thinking.

MP had JQo, Button had 22, and I doubled up to 6000 on the first hand. Unreal.
    Also, with your new Wildman profile, I'm going to say it's a river brick and Wildman pushes all-in and LP does Balki's dance of joy and calls with the 2nd nut flush.

EVIL :twisted:

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    he raised I was all the more certain that MHWG.

translation pls :shock:
    all_aces wrote:
    EVIL :twisted:

Regards,
    all_aces

indeed EVIL :twisted:
  • My hand was good.

:wink:

all_aces
  • I run into so much trouble with these hands as well, which is why I posted that Ace-rag thread. I'd fold here...I wanna see the results :D
  • To review:
    I'm dealt Ad 4d in SB. UTG calls, LP calls, CO raises 200 to 300 total, all 3 of us call. 1300 in the pot.

Turn: 4s [Ah 2s 5s]. I check, UTG bets 1300, LP calls 1300, CO folds...

Back to me. 1300 to call into a 5100 pot.

RESULTS:

I folded. It was heads-up to the river:

River: 7h [4s Ah 2s 5s]. UTG checked, LP bet the rest of his chips (about 2000), and UTG called.

UTG: 3d 3c for a straight
    LP: As 6s for an ace-high flush.

So, ScottyZ was right about LP's hand. He should play poker, or something... :wink:

I was drawing dead to an ace or a four.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    My hand was good.

:wink:

all_aces

homer.gifdoh :o
  • all_aces wrote:

So, ScottyZ was right about LP's hand. He should play poker, or something... :wink:

Regards,
    all_aces

POKER poke1.GIF
  • ... until she's blue in the face.

Nicely done, CO, and your ROFLMAO emoticon is awesome, too.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    ... until she's blue in the face.

Nicely done, CO, and your ROFLMAO emoticon is awesome, too.

Regards,
    all_aces

thx AA super.gif
  • all_aces wrote:

What the heck, I'll give it a shot. 8)

ScottyZ
  • I would've folded on the flop. Good fold on the turn to save your chips though.