The effect of fame

Hey, I've been wondering something. Since you played WSOP and have become famous or infamous withing the poker world with the Annie Duke incident, how do you personally feel with the attention? Has it gotten to your head or are you ignoring it, etc.

Comments

• Snoman wrote:
    Hey, I've been wondering something. Since you played WSOP and have become famous or infamous withing the poker world with the Annie Duke incident, how do you personally feel with the attention? Has it gotten to your head or are you ignoring it, etc.

Perhaps I'll pose another question which is one step back. :) Have you actually observed a noticable increase in your own fame or attention towards you specifically related to the Annie Duke thing?

That is, does the world outside Pokerforum.ca (gasp!) even know that you were involved at all in this whole business?

Dr. Nick: 'Inflammable' means 'flammable'? What a country!

ScottyZ
  • does the world outside Pokerforum.ca

There's a world outside of pokerforum.ca???

:wink:
  • all_aces wrote:
    does the world outside Pokerforum.ca

I believe there's also "The Land of Chocolate".

Homer: "Mmmm...chocolate, half-price"

ScottyZ
  • Lol, i bet myself that ScottyZ would reply before Dave and i just made a billion gazillion dollars off myself. Boy am I a sucker, lol. :D
  • all_aces wrote:
    does the world outside Pokerforum.ca

Evil :shock:
  • Snoman wrote:
    Lol, i bet myself that ScottyZ would reply before Dave and i just made a billion gazillion dollars off myself. Boy am I a sucker, lol. :D

At least you managed to find someone to take the other side of that bet. :)

ScottyZ
  • Since you played WSOP and have become famous or infamous withing the poker world with the Annie Duke incident, how do you personally feel with the attention?

At first I thought that the world knew about my role in the Annie Duke incident. I do not, now, think that is the case. All of the negativity surrounding Annie has, I think, been directed at her comments in her gutshot interview. The vast majority of the "poker world" have no idea of my small role in any of it.

Having said that, I have publically accepted Annie's apology and I have given mine.

Has all the fame gone to my head? Heh. Several points need to be made:

(1) I think very little lasting "fame" can be attributed to me because of my time at this year's WSOP. Depending on how many of my hands that ESPN shows there may be a small stir, but it will be small. I was, after all, the 94th place finisher. If you think nobody remembers 3rd place, try being 94th.

(2) I have a big head already. I hope that most would describe as self-confident (I would). There are some that would describe me as arrogant (I wouldn't).

(3) There is a huge "fame seeking" phenomenon going on in poker right now. An bracelet winner (who I will not name) upon busting out of the tournament -- a LONG way from the money -- stopped play at my table to call over the ESPN cameras to film his dramatic exit. I asked the dealer "Do we wait for TV?" The dealer said "no" so I asked him to keep dealing and he did. I wasn't going to hold my game up for somebody who wants fame so badly that he stops the game AFTER he is eliminated. Annie actually commented that "When I get eliminated I hope I can get out of the room without the cameras spotting me." That is exactly what she tried to do. The ESPN guys literally chased her out of the room. Jeese, it's day two, give her a break. Making things wierded, this unamed bracelet winner was a name I do not know. I follow poker closely. He wasn't famous in my books. I doubt that ESPN knows who he is.

(4) Do I like the fame? Whatever small amount there is? Hmmm.... I do love a crowd. A long time before there was TV I made it to a WSOP final table and, frankly, made an effort to be entertaining for the crowd. I like entertaining. I can't help it. I'm an extreme extrovert. When Mattias Anderson caught the flush to eliminate Gus Hanson and cripple Frank Grabac I attempted to lead the gallery is a singing of the Swedish national anthem. Unfortunately none of us knew it and Mattias was too excited to teach it to us. I would be doing these sorts of things with, or without TV.

So... the answer is... I don't dislike fame but I do not seek it out particularly. I did once I think but age has mellowed me a lot.